Joe Cornish To Direct STAR TREK 3?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by LOKAI of CHERON, Nov 2, 2013.

1. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

But, only if they'll spring for the Rock Monsters ;)

2. Cyrus

Cyrus Vice Admiral Admiral

And he will also play two roles: the old Kirk & Harry Mudd.

3. Balrog

Balrog Commodore Commodore

Add Janice Lester and you've got a deal!

4. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

Yeah but if you looked at his music video pedigree, Fincher was still a pretty decent choice. That franchise has always been more about the directors than most (not talking AvsP stuff!), which is one reason why they all look a bit unique from one another, with only some similarities carrying over.

Cuaron is off the table for TREK too (not likely he ever was going to do it anyway), as he has sworn off space movies for good after GRAVITY.

I still think they need a modern equivalent to Meyer, somebody who isn't a big VFX guy, but a writer/director who does character/Character/CHARACTER. In other words, the guy who made THE STATION AGENT and THE VISITOR, who some of you may know as an actor (he played the total scumsucking rotten journalist who wound up covered in glory in the last season of THE WIRE.)

5. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I doubt Tom McCarthy would be interested in a tentpole movie. He was pretty disappointed with his experience directing the pilot of Game of Thrones (which was so thoroughly reshot that it bears another director's name and only gives him credit for being a "consulting producer").

6. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

I had no idea about THRONES, but that does explain the Dinklage turning up, I guess.

7. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

Reference Alien 3 - I still contend the Assembly Cut (essentially the Ditector's Cut) available on both DVD and Blu-ray, is a really strong movie. It's considerably superior to the theatrical release, and I'd go as far as giving it a very solid 4/5 stars.

8. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

While screenwriters transitioning into directing usually cut their teeth on television and/or films with modest budgets, people with a strong background in visual arts - such as directing music videos and/or television commercials - will sometimes make their feature film directing debut with a big budget film. As has been pointed out, David Fincher got a big franchise film as his feature debut, as did Joseph Kosinski more recently. Kosinski might be a good choice to direct a Trek movie actually. He'd certainly do a good job with the visuals. Whether he'd get the right tone is the bigger question.

9. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

I interviewed Kosinski last year and TREK came up sort of indirectly a couple of times. He has long been linked with a smarter remake of THE BLACK HOLE, and is interested in delivering something that has sense of wonder AND a smattering of good science, which to my ear sounded ideal for TREK. I told him about my old TNG pitch about a self-aware singularity (the one that Jeri Taylor dismissed with 'we don't do fantasy') and he kinda liked it.

I think the guy definitely needs better scripts.

10. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

I'd like to see either Matthew Vaughn, Brad Bird, Bryan Singer or Rupert Wyatt direct. I'd be pretty pleased with any of those...

11. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I want a director announced soon. Development hell is not a place I want to see a Trek movie lost in.

12. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

If it isn't released until mid-2016, they likely have a good year before they have to settle on a director. Though I imagine they'll have one signed sometime early next year.

13. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

Justin Lin's name has been bandied about, though I don't know how likely that is (he's already slated to direct a Bourne Sequel coming out in 2015). He has the perfect skill set for what they're doing, though.

14. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

^Perhaps an adaptation of Diane Carey's The Great Starship Race?

15. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

Yes, please. Enough with the relentless action set pieces, more character work, let the story breathe, let the suspense build up.

16. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

More of what's already been delivered in ST'09 and STID for me please, more of the superbly realised action and brilliantly developed original series characterisation - e.g. an exciting, enthralling movie.

Please, please don't put something akin to "The Inner Light" on the screen to bore the audience to tears, kill the box office and put the franchise in the grave.

17. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

If you waste 200 million on an "Inner Light" type of story, so that is actually fails at the box office, something is wrong with you.

If you do it for 20 million, you don't kill the franchise.

18. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

Amen!

19. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

Forget about "The Inner Light", I'm talking "The Visitor"! Kidding aside, I don't think the Michael Bay brand of relentless action with characters shouting "GO! GO! GO!" every five to ten minutes will work if they keep doing it over and over with nuTrek. You can only get away with that before audiences gets bored, and even though STID delivered on that, it still made less than the first film in the US, when many expected it to do much better (and hold your horses, I'm not calling it a failure at the box office, but domestically speaking it is a bit of a step down, and sequels generally do better). That being said, it doesn't need to keep doing the same kind of action spectacle. They can easily tone it down and still drawn in audiences if the story and characters are strong enough. A good example of a contemporary action film is SKYFALL, which probably only has a quarter of the action STID has and yet it did two times the box office that the latter ended up with. Why shouldn't Trek tone it down the action? Seeing Kirk fire a phaser at a bunch of Klingons isn't gonna drawn in more audiences, it's the story. Adjusted for inflation, THE VOYAGE HOME is still the biggest Trek has ever been and it's probably the most unconventional Trek film ever. And no, I'm not asking for more Whales, I'm just saying that a film series cannot sustain if it keeps doing the same thing over and over, as it will just get stale over time.

Still, the remark on "The Inner Light" is cute. It didn't win a Hugo Award because it "bored audiences to tears", heck, it certain moved people enough to get teary eyed. It isn't even my favorite episode, but I can't deny it's effective. Isn't that what we want audiences to feel about Trek anyway? To be surprised that a Trek movie actually engaged them that deeply? Would you think audiences would be bored to tears over watching "The City on the Edge of Forever" too?

But maybe you're right. Poor Gene. So much for your peaceful vision of the future, idiot. People don't want that crap anymore. People want shooting!

20. Balrog

Balrog Commodore Commodore

Gene's vision - Money and sex. And not necessarily in that order...