Was Lt. Boma going to be a rucurring character?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Draculasaurus, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Draculasaurus

Draculasaurus Commander Red Shirt

Lt. Boma from The Galileo Seven was a really strong character compared to most single appearance crewmen.
    I noticed that Lt. DeSalle, who did become a recurring face, was added in the very next episode.
    The production had also just lost Grace Lee Whitney.
    Is it possible that they were looking for a new familiar face in Lt. Boma?

2. Grant

Grant Commodore Commodore

No way they would have written him so antagonistic to Spock if he was planned to come back.

3. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nope, he was a one-off like every other guest crew member.

4. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

The only reason DeSalle appears in This Side of Paradise is the actor who played DeSalle was cast, so they changed the name.

5. Grant

Grant Commodore Commodore

Really, so what about Catspaw?

6. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Don Marshall (Boma) was working fairly regularly in guest shots in those days, and had also guested on Roddenberry's The Lieutenant. A few years later he got a steady job as Dan Erickson in Land of the Giants.

TOS had several guests I immediately recognized during its first run, including Paul Carr (Kelso), and Paul Comi (Stiles). Glenn Corbett (Zefram Cochran) had previously been a regular on Route 66.

7. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

No idea. Memory Alpha has no information on that.

8. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

What you need to keep in mind is that in 1960s TV, it was commonplace for stories in an episodic TV series to be built around a featured guest character of the week. At the time, the classiest dramas were anthologies, so even shows with continuing characters often aspired to an anthology style, a format that was all about getting the main characters involved with a different featured guest character or characters and telling a story that was largely about the guests.

TOS's first season had a lot of episodes that revolved around prominent guest characters who only appeared once, just like much of '60s TV did. Often these were outsiders or visitors to the ship, like Harry Mudd and Eve McHuron, Charlie Evans, Roger Korby, Miri, the Romulan Commander, or Lenore Karidian; but sometimes they were crewmembers like Gary Mitchell and Elizabeth Dehner, Dave Bailey, Kevin Riley, and Boma. (Remember that Riley's character in "The Conscience of the King" was written as a separate character, Robert Leighton, and then renamed Riley when Bruce Hyde was cast.)

So Boma's prominent role had nothing to do with him being set up as a recurring character, because that's not how TV writers thought in the '60s and '70s. Back then, it was routine for one-time guest characters to be the centers of attention in TV episodes.

9. Melakon

Michael Barrier appeared in several Desilu/Paramount productions, so he might have simply had a contract with the studio(s).

10. ToddPence

ToddPence Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

In the James Blish adaptaion of "Catspaw" in volume 8, the character in command of the Enterprise is given as "Farrell", a bridge officer who was played by Jim Godwin in several early first season episodes, indicating that Farrell was the officer slated to originally be in "Catspaw".

11. TOSalltheway

TOSalltheway Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I was a huge fan of Mr. Boma. he was portrayed as a confident and competent officer who had an antogantistic side and not afraid to stand up to a superior officer. He would have made a great regular.

Just on the subject of Mr. Boma I was terribly disapointed a few years ago when visiting the Boma restaurant at Animal Kingdom Loge in Walt Disney World. None of the employees there had ever heard of him !

12. Melakon

Disney only has eyes for Star Wars.

13. Draculasaurus

Draculasaurus Commander Red Shirt

Thanks for your replies everyone.

A boma is an enclosure in a few African languages, like a stockade or a walled village.
    (-which I only know from reading Edgar Rice Burroughs' Tarzan novels.)

14. TOSalltheway

TOSalltheway Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

A boma is an enclosure in a few African languages, like a stockade or a walled village.
    (-which I only know from reading Edgar Rice Burroughs' Tarzan novels.)

Thanks I did not know that ( I still think they should know their Trek name sake)

15. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

The original STAR TREK pitch makes direct mention of this anthology-like style, where stories could be found in the crew who reside within the bowels of the ship:

16. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

As others pointed out, his hostile attitude toward Spock meant he was not going to be a regular (see: Balance of Terror's Lt. Stiles).

Furthermore, Marshall shot the pilot for Land of the Giants in 1967 (with the series finally airing in the fall of '68), so he--like many actors shooting pilots--probably hoped LOTG would go to series, as his was a lead role--the important note about that is such a role very rare for African American males on 1960s TV up to that time, aside from Cosby on I Spy and Robert Hooks on the original N.Y.P.D. By 1968, he was well into production on LOTG and a semi-regular on Julia, so his schedule was pretty busy (aside from a few one-shot guest appearances elsewhere), even if the Boma character was considered for a role upgrade.

17. Christopher

Don't forget Greg Morris on Mission: Impossible, which premiered in 1966.

(Although I've never even heard of N.Y.P.D.)

18. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

^ That's right! Thanks for the reminder!

19. Melakon

Another example is Lloyd Haynes, who was communications officer in the "Where No Man has Gone Before" second pilot, and later had a starring role in Room 222.

20. Christopher

^And Clarence Williams III on The Mod Squad starting in '68. There was actually a big push to add diversity to TV casts in the late '60s due to demographic studies showing the buying power of African-American television viewers.