Karen Gillan cast as one of the leads in Guardians Of The Galaxy

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by StCoop, Jun 1, 2013.

1. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Last edited: Jun 1, 2013
  2. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Lead female villain. Hmm.

If this is feeding into Avengers 2 and Thanos, she could be playing Death.

3. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

Good for her. I'm glad to see her getting film roles.

4. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

Well my interest in seeing this movie just increased a lot...

5. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I have to say my interest in Guardians of the Galaxy has skyrocketed in just the last few days between this news and the news of Glenn Close's casting. I had very little interest in the film because I barely even heard of the characters, let alone ever read any of their stories.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2013
  6. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Totally agreed. This is... pretty damned awesome news. And oh man, if she's Death (wild speculation, true), that's just fantastic.

Also, this means we've now had two Doctor Who leads cast as leading Marvel villains.

I'd just be happy for both of them, personally.

7. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

First his friend Andrew Garfield lands the role of Spider-man and now his former co-star is a villain in a highly anticipated Marvel blockbuster.

Everyone is at different stages but yeah his little semi independent movie is miniscule

Not to mention Karen's been in Hollywood for what 8 to 10 months?

8. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Aside from Gillan, whose the other DW lead as a marvel villain?

9. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Gamora, Thanos' (adopted)'daughter, the most dangerous woman in the universe, is taken.

Captain Marvel(Aka Quasar) is the lesbian lover of Moon Dragon, a bald telepath are both key figures previously but not in the current line up.

I'd laugh if she played Groot who is a massive sentient tree.

Mantis, again a plant, but a Hippy plant in danger of smoking herself, monk(nun?) kung fu alien hottie.

oh Shit.

IMdb has Yondu listed which is the classic team form the 70s, which opens up Karens possible role completely unless she's just Starlords crying human wife back on earth who needs to be saved...

Neblua? Evil space Tyrant criminal who Thanos the nihilist death worshipper was not happy about hearing that she had been lying for years to any one who would listen that she was his biological daughter. After they beat each other up, the Mad Titan used the Infinity Gauntlet to adjust time so that he had fathered her after all.

NIkki is a joke. The flaming hair is cool?

Starhawk is a possibility? That's a husband and wife genderbending sharing abody and ultimate power.

I wonder if karen is going to use her real accent?

10. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

Really? I'm a bit tired of seeing big-budget versions of comic book stories I read as a kid, to be honest. I'd rather see something new, or in this case, something new to me.

I don't think it has anything to do with people "being at different stages", because that would imply that every actor's dream, every actor's motivation is to "make it big", to become popular and to star in summer blockbusters. In my experience, this is patently false and I find it quite alarming that so many people can't imagine that anyone would be motivated by anything else than fame and money. I think most actors are into their line of work because they enjoy acting and want to play a wide variety of roles and be challenged in their craft. Yes, they want to make a living, but I'd say that most of them would pick Matt Smith's "minuscule" movie over Karen Gillan's popcorn flick.

11. The Nth Doctor

Christopher Eccleston will play Malekith the Accursed in Thor: The Dark World.

Honestly, part of the reason I wasn't interested was because the premise sounded silly.

In retrospect, I realize how absurd that is. All of the Marvel franchises are a bit silly in premise.

12. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

This movie had me interested since I first heard of the premise. This news raises my interest.

13. StCoop

Since it's looking like the villians in the film will actually be the original GOTG* (who just to confuse you non-comics fans, actually come from the 31st century) I'd say that this is who she's playing:

http://marvel.com/universe/Nikki

*There was a story recently that there were plans to spin Lee Pace's character off into his own film, which wouldn't make much sense if he was only a villian but would if he was a mind-controlled Vance Astro.

14. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Is she one of Mar-vell's seemingly endless stream of kids?

I thought she was just married to a plant. (not that there's anything wrong with that)

Well, Karen is a redhead.

A lot of planets have a Scotland.

15. Ryva Brall

Ryva Brall Commander Red Shirt

When I first saw Karen Gillan on DW, I was unimpressed with her acting skills. It's like she had only two facial expressions: wide-eyed, and wide-eyed and pouty. But she definitely got better as the series went on. She was actually very good in "The Impossible Astronaut". I'm interested to see how she does in "Guardians".

She can't be any worse than January Jones as Emma Frost. *gags*

16. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

A Who fan should have a high tolerance for silly. :)

17. StCoop

Hey, at least Doctor Who has never had characters who were humanoid trees or talking animals in it.

Oh, wait...

18. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

A Who fan should have an appetite for silly and over the top. When the second episode of the new series brought us to the year 5 billion, when something like Star Trek wouldn't have dared to go beyond the year 5,000, I knew my Doctor Who was back.

19. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Though there is a fine line between silly and daft I will admit.

20. The Nth Doctor

Touché. :lol: