is q squared a good book?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by tmosler, May 7, 2013.

1. tmosler

tmosler Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I just had a quick question. After reading good star trek books like q in law,imadzi, and the destiny series I was wondering if q squared is as good a book as any of the 3 books i already read?

2. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't think Q-Squared is as good as Q-In-Law, but it's a pretty good novel nevertheless and I'd recommend it. :)

3. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Q-Squared is a great book. :techman:

4. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought Q-Squared was awesome. So was Imzadi.

5. Chu'lak

Chu'lak Lieutenant

Q Squared was great when i first read it at 13, but at 32, PAD didnt really mature along with me, he's comic book writer first, novelist second.

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I absolutely loved Q-Squared when I read it a few years back.

7. DorkBoy [TM]

DorkBoy [TM] Captain Captain

8. Mr. Laser Beam

The audiobook would have been so much more awesome if William Campbell had done the reading (or at least participated in it, like de Lancie and Majel did for Q-In-Law).

Last edited: May 7, 2013
    PhotoBoy likes this.
  9. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Q-Squared is definitely worth checking out.

Kilana2 and GaryH like this.
  10. tmosler

tmosler Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Thanks for all your replies i actually just bought the book. An hour ago and have started reading it. So far it really good

11. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

The first I heard of "Q-Squared" was when Peter David gave a pre-publication chapter to John de Lancie and William Campbell to read together at a ST convention. Campbell's DS9 episode, "Blood Oath" had only recently aired (March 1994) and it was a rare convention appearance by Koloth/Trelane.

The live reading was reported in the media and it seemed they would be sharing the audio duties on the forthcoming book and tape release (July 1994). When the audio eventually came out, it was de Lancie, as narrator, going solo. IIRC, Campbell had some health concerns after the convention.

12. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's a lot of comic book-style fun. I really liked the somewhat unhinged Jack Crusher. And...
    ...the idea that the version of "Where No Man Has Gone Before" that we saw at the very start of TOS was actually from one of the alternate realities. James Kirk's middle initial really was R, and the early pilot uniforms and sets weren't pre-refit or pre-redesign as most assume, but buisness as usual for the Starfleet and Enterprise of that reality.

13. Csalem

Csalem Commodore Commodore

I loved the book. One of the few I have reread.

14. Garrovick

Garrovick Commander Red Shirt

It's definitely worth reading, if not quite up to the stellar Q-In-Law.

15. Allyn Gibson

S&S Audioworks license didn't actually allow for what they did with Q-in-Law. It was only because of the Majel Barrett factor and not wanting to piss off Roddenberry (who was, even that close to his end, still the final word on all things Star Trek) that allowed it to go through.

16. Mr. Laser Beam

Explain? :confused:

17. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

Sounds like the licence might've only allowed for main cast members, whereas de Lancie and Barrett were guest stars.

18. Mr. Laser Beam

^ But if de Lancie has done audiobooks by himself, surely the license must allow for actors such as that? He's never been a main cast member. And if he can do it alone, then one 'guest' actor must be allowed, so why not two?

19. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Q-Squared was my favorite Trek book for a long time. I probably need to reread it. It seemed to really stretch the boundaries of what Trek books were able to do at the time.

20. Allyn Gibson

It has nothing to do with main stars versus guest stars (there were Star Trek audio books read by non-Star Trek actors), so tomswift2000's supposition was incorrect.

The situation with Q-in-Law was this.

Majel Barrett really wanted to do it (because she loved the book) and she wanted to do it with de Lancie so they could actually do the back-and-forth dialogue from the book, but S&S Audioworks' license didn't cover audio dramas, and this would have been borderline.

It was decided that they would turn a blind eye to the problem because, as Peter David said at a convention, no one wanted to be the one to tell Majel Barrett that she couldn't play Lwaxana Troi in an audiobook.