Smallville Season 11, it"s happening...

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by ncc71877, Feb 9, 2012.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just remembered something about the SV JL that I never understood. Was there a specific reason why they only ever called Bart Impulse, and never The Flash? I was looking at his comic bio and I see that he was appeared to have a fairly short career as The Flash, but he was as far as I know the only Flash in SV, so I would think it would make more sense to call him that, especially since it is much more recognizable than Impulse.

2. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

Wow! Look at the conversation that happened without me! :lol:

I think David Goyer was preparing a Flash movie starring Ryan Reynolds at that time so DC put an embargo on the name. Of course Goyer's movie fell through so there's no reason not to rename him Flash.

3. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

^

Does DC put an embargo on everything?

:lol:

4. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

The "Bart" thing was something that someone online correctly countered DiDio's lame statement that "Smallville" should only have iconic characters in it. That has never been the case before in the series, and shouldn't be the case now. Miller should have access to every single character he wants to use in the DC pantheon without being dicked around by editorial because they only want to shoehorn and "showcase" characters they want to promote. They did the exact same thing with the series: thus why we got episodes involving Cyborg, Aquaman (Arthur possibly being one of two iconic characters along with Oliver of course), Mera, and "Bart" Allen, oh and I forgot Mia Deardren (even though I was excited to see this version of the character) over Roy Harper. Ollie Queen was basically their abandoned and tweaked plans for Bruce Wayne.

It's possible Goyer's "Flash" movie was the true reason...but no one really knows why we got Bart instead of Barry. At the time many of us theorized that it was a younger time traveling Barry Allen who used his name as Bart.

5. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

But Bart is still Smallville's version of The Flash, correct? You don't think that they're going to try to introduce a different version at this point, do you? I would think that if Miller basically has the freedom to pick and choose his material and/or characters, then we could see Bart change his name to 'Flash' inasmuch as Clark went from being the Blur to Superman.

Just my .02 worth.

:)

6. Admiral_Young

Bart is their version of The Flash. It's of course always possible that we could see a future version as well. We really don't know where Bart came from in "Smallville". Of course we now know no better that Miller doesn't have the lay of the land sort to speak.

7. Admiral James Kirk

Does anybody at DC have the lay of the land anymore?

8. Admiral_Young

Scott Snyder? Morrison pretty does whatever he wants...Geoff Johns?

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've never understood DC forbidding them from using characters in Smallville. IMO it's different enough from the other DC stuff that I don't think there would be any confusion about the Smallville version, or a movie version. I think overall people are smart enough to that they would have been able to tell that Smallville's Batman, and Nolan's Batman are not the same person.

10. Admiral_Young

You'd be surprised. I still remember encountering people who thought "Man of Steel" was or should have been a "Smallville" movie.

11. Admiral James Kirk

Shit!

Goddamn you, Brian Q. Miller!

You broke me! The waterworks have started! I'm a burbling bawling mess!

Why? Why do you have to write so goddamn well? As for you Pere Perez... you're not off the hook either! You're an amazing visual storyteller whose knack for likenesses is uncanny! You capture the emotion of Brian Q's script and then amplify them tenfold! My heart is fucking broken and you two are to blame!

That's right! I'm talking about Smallville: Season 11 #12, the quite moving epilogue to the Guardian storyline!

We begin with Superman revisiting the scene of the crime! Lex Luthor's office! No window breaking in this issue. Just Superman coming to compliment Luthor on the way he tried to help Hank Henshaw.

There's a sense of that old Smallville chemistry between Clark and Lex in this scene. You get the feeling that Superman believes that the man who was once his very best friend still exists in Lex Luthor. He even says as such:

"You remind me very much of someone I used to know."

Superman calls him "Lex" for the first time since their "introduction" and offers him his hand in friendship.

Luthor, suffice it to say, does not take it. Instead we learn why the shuttle accident happened and the reason for it is is a real game changer.

Luthor wanted to saturate Superman with radiation. Not enough radiation to harm the people around him but enough to tag Supes like an animal.

That's right. Superman's irradiated body now sticks out like a sore thumb on Luthor's defense satellites and he can be tracked now twenty four hours a day. What's worse is that the half life of that radiation is five hundred years!

That's right! Bye, bye secret identity! Bye, bye Lois! Bye, bye Smallville! Bye, bye Clark Kent!

It's gone! All of it! Gone! Clark Kent has no choice but to be Superman for the rest of his fucking life!

Game
    Changed
    !

This was like nothing I could have ever expected to see transpire in the season premiere of Smallville. This is like one of their amazing finales! It drives me nuts the implications of this issue! The Death of Clark Kent!Lex Luthor triumphant!

Astounding!

Brian Q can take this storyline anywhere and do anything with it! I have no idea how the status quo is going to be restored! How the hell is Supes going to get rid of this radiation? How is he going to carry on his relationship with Lois? What will this do to his identity as Clark Kent?

I can't wait to find out!

Oddly enough Clark Kent's death is not the only one we're facing this issue. That's right... it's the death of Chloe Sullivan!

I'll just let that hang in the air because Chloe's death has lead to an implication that fills me with dread.

The Smallville universe is about to face something Earth shattering...

Literally! Infinitely Earth shattering!

Yes!

The Crisis is upon us!

I'm shaking with excitement! I want the next issue and I want it yesterday!

Smallville: Season 11 #12. What can I say? I dug it! Wholeheartedly! Unreservedly! I dug it! It was all characterization and set up for the rest of the season and it was a work of sensitive and gentle genius! Brian Q and Pere deserve my highest commendations! They are truly great artists! I love this comic! I love the creators! I am very happy and grateful to be getting this book every week!

And that last image... Lois's mournful "I love you." to Clark. You guys made me weep! You made me weep for my favorite couple and what's more you made me weep because I don't have #13 in my hands right now!

Buy this book, guys! Buy it! Read it! Love it! Recommend it to others! Smallville isn't just the best comics adaptation on the stands it's one of the best reads out there!

This book does the Superman legacy proud!

12. Admiral_Young

Seriously. Why isn't Miller on a DC book right now? He should be writing "Superman". This was fucking brilliant. I rarely swear on here, but fuck was this good. Brilliant wrap up of what has been an awesome opening arc. The Lex and Superman scenes were brilliantly written and Lex dropping the bomb on Superman that he can now track his every movement. Clark gives Lex an inch....Lex drives it away a mile!!! This is why you can never ever trust Lex Luthor. Also the reflection of Tess in the window? Masterful.

Let the Crisis begin indeed. It's Miller Time baby!!!

13. Admiral James Kirk

I take it that Brian Q is seriously showing up the writers of Superman and Action Comics?

14. Admiral_Young

Just "Superman". Morrison is on Action Comics.

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Do we know how much longer Miller will be on Smallville? Maybe you guys should start a petition to get Miller on AC when Morrison leaves.

16. Admiral James Kirk

Sounds like they need him more on Superman.

17. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Say it ain't so!

:eek:

As I commented to AY earlier today, I'm several issues behind you guys at the moment. #12 certainly sounds like an ass-kicker, so I guess I'd better start trying to catch up here.

But Chlo... After surviving ten years on the CW, I thought she'd survive anything!

:lol:

18. Admiral James Kirk

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pR7qKsCy3w[/yt]

19. Admiral_Young

Heh. Torturing Proc like that Admiral Kirk ;)

I guess it depends on how long DC continues to pump out Smallville Season 11. Since they don't release digital sales it is extremely hard to tell how this is doing. It seems like it is being very well received though. It's just hard to tell right now.

20. Admiral James Kirk

Serves 'im right for falling behind. ;)