Star Trek: Online

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by tranya, Nov 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yay! That's what I've been waiting for...

2. Myko

Myko Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

When I was in beta the UI was fairly unresponsive and klunky, has this been improved much? For example it wasn't obvious from using a skill that it had actually fired and if it was on cooldown and so on.

3. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

Thanks for the detailed answer :techman: Compared to my early days in Vanilla WoW, I'm not much of an hardcore player anymore due to time constraints, so the concept of weekly, fresh missions sounds pretty good!

4. ShamelessMcBundy

ShamelessMcBundy Fleet Admiral Admiral

Personally, i'll say yes. There's a new update every week. Tomorrow, the Breen episode wraps up with the finale of the Breen Missions. Should be pretty fun.

BTW, i bought the game months ago and jsut now have i stumbled upon all the STO threads on here, lol. Better late than never ...

5. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

did the last Breen mission. that platform problem was not well thought out or implemented. i faliled around to get it to work, even though I should know the ordering of activation. Fairly standard afterwards. Awaiting the last one.

6. syberghost

syberghost Commander Red Shirt

STO official forums community moderator emeritus
    Teamed up with Thingol for a bit, and then some of my own fleet later, and finished up the Breen missions today. Great fun! Looking forward to the next series.

7. Trek

Trek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I really need to catch up on the breen missions. Only done the first one so far.

8. syberghost

When you get the Snow Tubers, let a Mat or Ric tribble eat one; produces the Cryo Tribble, which is a great anti-Breen buff.

9. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

annoying that you can't increase any more stats once you hit VA. I get no more leveling, but to not be able to increase abilities anymore? Lame...

10. Ronald Held

What Scout said...
    Going to try the last Breen mission Monday. Too late for the Cryo tribble.

11. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

because you have no more snow tubers? because you can buy them from a Ferengi on Defera.

12. syberghost

If you kept getting skill points, two things would happen:

1) Every character would end up identical, with all skills at max.

2) When a new expansion raised the level cap, everybody would instantly skip all those new levels and hit the new cap, bypassing all that content.

Neither of those would be good for the game.

13. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

What's the difference? At least you're encouraging people to continue to play, rather than stopping awarding any sort of advancement, making it pointless to keep playing. Many of these levels are a grind, why keep trying them for no benefit?

They need to raise the rank system a LOT. I'm not exactly a heavy user, and if I've managed to max out my character with a few months of light playing, and there's no endgame available, why even play?

The levels stop too early, or they give away too many points early on. I've maxed out the ranks, but the skill points are maybe 40% full. Plus I've got a ton of missions left to do. Why does the character stop advancing if I'm only 1/2 way through the game?

Only reason to play anymore, it would appear, is to see if I can get rarer versions of my XI and XII weapons, I guess? Or keep paying $15 a month to bring more and more characters to this level. Unless I'm dressing up and role-playing while I do this, though, don't much care what color the skin on my character is...

14. Timelord Victorious

For one thing you said, you have a ton of content left you didnt play yet.
    So that should be your nomber one reason to play.
    If you are more into PvP, which you indicated (sort of9 by saying you maxed you character out with only half the episodes played, that's also a fine reason to keep playing.

Why is advancing your character your main incentive to keep playing?
    While you can still do that by perfecting your build and getting better equipment, for me advancing the character is only the means to beat the content.
    There are some nice rewards to be gained from leveling, like additional officers and new ships to change your appearance.
    But the T5 ships alone are so numerous, I believe there are 11 different classes which can also be designed in very unique ways that you can always get another ship with different specialization any time.
    Even though the game rewarded me with dozens of officers I grew quite attached to my core crew anyway which I dont want to replace at all.

So as long as there is content for you to play and otehr players to play with, that should be the reason to play. At least it's for me and it has kept me playing almost without interuptions since open beta. :techman:

15. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Well, maybe not a ton, but I've only just started the Borg stuff, really. And the weekly episode stuff was fun, so looking forward to more of that...

Nope, not into that stuff. It's pretty bad in STO, really. At least, not enjoying it personally. And havne't maxed the character out for stats, maxed him about because I'm level 51 and can't earn any more points to add to him...

Why should the character hit a level cap well before the playable content is finished? When the main reward for finishing an episode are experience points, and you can no longer earn any...

Same here. I've got a bunch of the T5 ships (both cruisers and tactical, plus same for the retrofit T5s), so other than paying them more money to get skins for them, what's the benefit there?

I agree that the content is fun, just disappointed that what is intended to be a long-term MMO has let a light user run into a level cap so quickly. If the main objectives can be killed in a couple months of light playing, then how is this thing going to make it? Just a server full of VAs floating around, waiting for the weekly mission. Or dead all week, and full on Saturdays...

I've had fun with it,and would have liked to keep going, but if my only objective at this point is to try and replace my rare weapons with VERY rare weapons, so that the 5th guy in my away team is fully stocked, then not sure it's worth much. Weekly episodes are great, but you have to pay the subscription all week to wait for the drop, so not really worth it right now. Gonna let my subscription lapse next month, pretty sure. Maybe I'll check it out again in a few months, when they've had time to add more content...

Just hope they remove the leveling cap and let characters earn more points. I get the wanting to cao ranks, but at least earning more character points would be nice. Actually, kinda funny you can't earn levels at VA, as well. Expected to be able to at least play to VA 10 or whatever, instead of being frozen the second you make VA...

16. Timelord Victorious

Would be a shame to see you drop out next month. I just took a look at the event calender and the next series looks to be awesome. I will open a seperate spoiler filled thread if you want to check it out.
    But that`s the thing, isn't it? the invention of the weekly episodes is pure genius in my opinion. It keeps the game fresh and during the meantime you can do the dailies which accompany the weeklies, and they change slightly from week to week as well.
    Also going into an STF now and then is really fun with a full team.
    And soloing can get boring, I get that, so give me a call now and then to team up more. ;)
    You know how to reach me in game.

Also there is variety ingame with alternate characters. I just started my 6th alt. :cool:
    The first crossuniverse character. After I've seen a lot ov Navee running around i went a bit oldschool and created a Minbari captain (Will post screenshots later), with a mostly Minbari crew planned.
    It's amazing how accurately you can do this. Makes me think that the devs are sci-fi fans in general who drop these little easter eggs, which are as close as they can get without getting sued I guess. ;)

17. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

I dunno, it's just a shame that you can 'finish' a character so quickly, without even resolving the majority of the missions. I didn't buy the lifetime sub ($299 seems like a lot, in addition to paying the $50 they were charging to buy the game at the time), it just is a lot of money to play. Sure, you can justify it when you break it out, $15 a month for x hours of entertainment, but when you look at the number (i paid $75 for 6 months, plus $30 something for the game) by itself, it's a lot for something you don't own, and can't play, when you finish paying for it.

I'd be a lot happier if they moved more towards the micro-transactions, and made the actual gameplay free. Seems like if you're paying to buy the game, and buying stuff IN the game, that should cover it. I'd have definitely bought a few costumes, and probably the Galaxy-X cruiser, if I knew I could use them longer. Not gonna spend $20 on a ship, when I have to pay $15/month to play with it.

And if I felt like I had a lot of game left to play, I'd at least have some motivation, but I've already maxed out, so other than starting over, and playing the same levels with different character choices, seems kinda silly. I started a Klingon, but kinda lost interest in doing that one. Know there's a good Klingon mission now, but was focused on my Fed character.

I LIKE the game and content, but mostly just mad that it maxes out so early in the game, especially the kind of game that is planned to be long-term, and not a quick 'install and beat' kinda game.

18. Ronald Held

Finished the last Breen episode. Fairly standard with only. A little flailing in the cavern.
    Not certain how much use the Breen cold gun is.

19. judge alba

judge alba senior street judge Commodore

tried the cold gun out on the borg, didnt seem to be much cop so changed back to my phaser rifle

20. Timelord Victorious

It's not half bad, but the secondary attack has a long charging time before it freezestuns enemys. you cant do anything else while the firing sequence is running for 3-5 seconds... that's far to long to be useful in an intense firefight like they happen on Starbase 82.

So I decided to leave the gun in the hands of my new Breen officer and let him have fun with it on away missions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.