Martok runs for town council

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by the G-man, Aug 28, 2013.

1. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ulysses Dems Nominate Klingon for Town Council
    • On Monday, August 26 the Ulysses Democratic caucus nominated and voted on their candidates for the fall election in a packed meeting at the Trumansburg village hall.

Incumbent town supervisor Elizabeth Graeper Thomas will be running for a full four-year term. Carissa Parlato will seek the office of town clerk. The Democrats cross-endorsed current highway superintendent James Meeker, the Republican candidate. Two town council seats carry four-year terms, and the assembled Democrats nominated incumbent Nancy Zahler and newcomer Rich Goldman. Both accepted their nominations.

The high profile candidate of the evening was actor John Hertzler, who will be running for a two-year term on the Ulysses council.

Hertzler moved to Ulysses several years ago when he was appointed as an adjunct professor in the Cornell department of film and theater. Before beginning his career in film, theater, television, the Bucknell graduate worked for the Environmental Protection Agency in Washington, D.C. during the Nixon administration, while regularly engaging in political activism on the Mall. He has been an active campaigner for many years, working for both Democrat George McGovern and independent John Anderson. He became involved with the local Democrats soon after moving to the area.

As he is best known for his portrayal of General Martok in various Star Trek episodes, his nominator Jim Dennis described him as “the only Klingon general living in Ulysses.”

In his acceptance speech Hertzler said that he was humbled by the nomination and he promised to continue to oppose hydro-fracking in the region via his Facebook page (he has 4,000 friends).

2. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

Good for him. I'll bet the number of friends to his Facebook page jumps considerably.

3. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I hope identifying him with a Klingon doesn't hurt his chances. He's teaching at Cornell, same university my brother-in-law graduated from, the same year as actor Steve Franken, who was a drama student then. Franken was later in Roddenberry's The Lieutenant.

4. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If Michael Dorn shows up in town the incumbent should run in fear. ;)

5. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

The fine line between continuity and fanwank.
    So this is the first episode plot of "Everybody Loves Martok" at last! :rommie:

6. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:rommie:

7. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Glory to his House.

8. Roboturner913

Roboturner913 Commander Red Shirt

I say to you, one year from now we will all share a barrel of the finest bloodwine in the Trumansburg town hall!!!

9. Leto_II

Leto_II Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Agreed -- I'm recalling a few years back when Jerry Doyle (from Babylon 5) ran for a Congressional seat in his district, and numerous times ran into snide comments from reporters that he was merely a "sci-fi celebrity candidate," and that "only his nerd fans" would ever vote for him, etc.

Unfair, but it still happens in this day and age.

10. jpv2000

jpv2000 Captain Captain

So it would seem.

Success! :klingon:

11. VXX

VXX Lieutenant Red Shirt

i wonder if he gets tired of the klingon references

12. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

The fine line between continuity and fanwank.
    He's always struck me as a good sport... but I'm sure it can be momentarily a bit frustrating.

13. VXX

VXX Lieutenant Red Shirt

i think i would be more than a little annoyed if it was me. i do know he called me stupid once for not buying into his lefty activism but i dont hold that against him, lol

14. Trevacious

Trevacious Captain Captain

Is he not once tempted to thump a fist against his chest and shout, "Qapla'!!"? Haha

15. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Guess it depends on how large a percentage of his voters are Trek fans. I don't think the Trek vote has ever been a determining factor in any political election. ;)

16. jpv2000

jpv2000 Captain Captain

^This^