Lunar Eclipse June 15

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Candlelight, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

2. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

I believe I have a friend in our astronomy club that took a trip to Australia to see it.

3. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

total lunar ecclipse today (June 15th 2011)

First of all: sorry, you Americans and Canadians can't see it. But you'll get one next year if I am not mistaken.

As for the rest of the world:
    For Europeans the moon will rise already partially ecclipsed tonight. The total ecclipse lasts from 21:22 to 23:03 Central European Summer Time, with the maximum at 22:13 (if you are in GB all times are -1 hour, Russians please add 1 hour)

Africans, Central and Southeastern Asians will be able to see the whole ecclipse early in the evening

Australians and Northeastern Asians can watch the ecclipse shortly before moonset in the morning but might not be able to catch the last few minutes of it as in some regions it will set while still ecclipsed.

Here is a map and a few more details:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/June_2011_lunar_eclipse

(hmm, I wonder... if everyone here looks at the same point at the same time - with our eyes meeting up there, so to speak - would that count as a kind of board meeting?)

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  4. Udat

Udat Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re: total lunar ecclipse today (June 15th 2011)

Hey Rhubarbodendronn watching the ecclipse in Zimbabwe as we speak has been a clear a cloudless sky. Not blood red though.

5. Candlelight

6. Candlelight

Re: total lunar ecclipse today (June 15th 2011)

There's already a thread on this, although because it's not available in the Americas is probably why it's being ignored.

I posted a picture in the other one, taken from my back garden.

7. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

I'll just merge these Threads.

Apparently we got a bit of an orange Moon last night, but I dozed off before I saw it. It's back to normal this morning.

8. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

It's all right--the Moon is shining unusually bright in my town tonight. At first, I thought the city had put up a new street light in my neighborhood.

I'll take all the extra moonlight while y'all sittin' in the dark...
    :devil:

9. trekkiedane

trekkiedane Admiral Admiral

Just as the eclipse was about to happen (which, here, coincided with the moon coming up over the horizon): clouds! -everywhere! :klingon:

Hadda watch it live on Googles YouTube channel :(

10. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

Actually, I did perform a search for threads with "ecclipse" in the headline which returned no results, but vBulletin boards are known to be a little capricious at times.

Thanks for merging! I trust you'll be merging with us other Terrans in chat tonight?

Alas, in Bavaria the sky was cloudy and the moon moved very low over the horizon so that I could only get a glimpse of it when it was fully ecclipsed and another when it was about 1/3 uncovered again.

Ah well, there will be another one on December 10th. (A Saturday so that I can watch it all and still get enough sleep).

And there'll be one for my 50est b-day, too. Mother Nature seems to like me :)

Edit: the Bavarian Broadcasting Company published a slideshow of their listeners' ecclipse pics:
    http://www.br-online.de/wissen/weltraum/astrofoto-mondfinsternis-fotos-ID1308138548744.xml
    to go forward or back click on the little black triangles below the bottom right corner of the pic

Last edited: Jun 18, 2011
  11. Candlelight

Maybe cos you spelt it wrong. :p

12. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

By now you know the answer to that. :D