A Hidden BOBW Reference?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Rhody the Ram, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Rhody the Ram

Rhody the Ram Commander Red Shirt

In this past Sunday's Hartford [Connecticut, USA] Courant, there was an opinion piece about a proposal to merge two area hospitals. Within the article, the author wrote this:

I'm not suggesting that this was a "hidden" intentional reference to TNG. But do you think this was inspired by the Borg line and perhaps stuck in the writer's mind until he used it here? I've never seen the line used in non-Trek context. Has anyone else? :borg:

2. JNG

JNG Chief of Staff, Starfleet Command Rear Admiral

LOL

It's certainly possible! I can't say for sure how often that phrase was used prior to its appearance in Trek, but it has certainly been popularized and may well have consciously or unconsciously entered the mind of the writer that way.

3. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

I think it has been popularized...that wouldn't be the only time I've heard it in a non-Trek context--damned if I could remember exactly WHERE, though...

4. WillsBabe

WillsBabe Vice Admiral Admiral

It's funny you should bring this up. I heard the phrase "resistance is futile" or a slight variation of it somewhere the other day. It may even have been on a tv news item. :eek:

5. Boy Wonder

Boy Wonder Lieutenant

They've used it on some TV commercial and one politician in Australia is called Lawrence Springborg and there have been many jokes and puns such as "Bring back the Borg" and "The Borg is Back". Even stickers have been made apparently.

6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

The phrase "resistance is futile/useless" was around before the Borg were created. At the very least, "Resistance is useless!" was a meme used by Douglas Adams for the Vogon guard in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (dating back to the original 1978 radio series), and I believe he was parodying the use of similar phrases by various Doctor Who monsters.

7. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

I wouldn't be surprised if the phrase was a reference to Star Trek. I run into Star Trek references from time to time in my daily life and I don't even live in the US or any country where English is the prime language.

8. Whoa Nellie

Whoa Nellie Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

A few years back when my son was a toddler I was watching "The Wiggles" with him on TV. This was long after Star Trek First Contact came out. In this particular episode they were doing a space theme and had a woman dressed up as a cutesy alien (silver or green body paint with a 'Jetson' styled dress). When she knocked on the Wiggles door and didn't get an answer she said the "Resistance is futile" line. I about fell off the couch laughing.:guffaw:

Warmest Wishes,
    Whoa Nellie

9. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

I am reminded of "Best of Both Worlds" every time my daughter watches Hannah Montana. Now if only Miley would get assimilated. ;)

10. skeeter291

skeeter291 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Oh, that is just too funny! :lol:

11. NCC74894A

NCC74894A Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

And in The Empire Strikes Back, at one point during the Cloud City lightsaber fight (just before "I am your father", in fact, IIRC) Vader says something to this effect to Luke: "You are beaten... it is useless to resist!"

12. Rhody the Ram

Rhody the Ram Commander Red Shirt

I always knew The Wiggles were slightly Borg-like! :lol:

13. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

The Cybermen used it on the moon in 1966, along with the immortal line, "Clever, clever, clever".

14. Zulu Romeo

Zulu Romeo World Famous Starship Captain Admiral

The phrase "Resistance is futile" is now used to currently advertise a certain brand of cheese. :bolian:

It seems resistance to using the phrase "resistance is futile" is, indeed, futile.

15. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Or the Borg own the company selling the certain brand of cheese.

16. WHF

WHF Captain Captain

Indeed, a couple of years earlier "resistance is futile" was used in the Space:1999 episode "The Dorcons".