State of Trek according to Entertainment Weekly

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by HaplessCrewman, Sep 24, 2013.

1. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think he was referring to that article that came out a few months ago about how Trek is currently licensed and (IIRC) said that there would be no Abrams Trek show due to Abrams wanting CBS to stop merchandising the prime universe stuff.

As for the game, it did come out, but it was totally irrelevant and pretty crappy.

2. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I thought that article was debunked as internet gossip because of how many errors it had regarding who actually controlled Trek (Paramount, nor Abrams, were never in any position to tell CBS what to do with Trek).

3. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

TrekMovie said the report was bunk, if that's an help.

4. Yanks

Yanks Commodore Commodore

In the vein of Kirk and Spock screaming for no apparent reason...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

I want a new trek series beginning the fall of 2016!!!!

5. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thanks for confirming what I said :bolian:

6. Yanks

Yanks Commodore Commodore

[​IMG]

This trekkie is most appreciative.

7. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Yes, because story credit has nothing to do with writing a movie.

8. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Been a while, but isn't Best Destiny the one that gave us a young James Kirk being a total smart ass prick, and his father dragged him on a mission about the Enterprise to teach him a lesson?

And while we're on the topic of writers: Anyone take a guess who this ideal is from and when it was pitched?

9. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

:guffaw:

10. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Indeed. When I go back through back issues of our now-defunct club newsletter, there are scathingly negative comments about TAS, the very idea of "Phase II", TMP, ST II ("Spock's death hits the Wall Street Journal!"), and on through the 50/50 feelings on ST IV ("the dumbing down of the franchise for the masses") and TNG and "Starfleet Academy", plus everyone piling on to the announcement of Shatner as director of ST V. As it turned out, the directing of ST V was arguably one of that film's strengths, but it was the factoid causing the most trepidation at the time.

Precisely. ;)

Harve Bennett? He tried pitching the concept to Paramount for both ST V and ST VI.

He copped a lot of negativity from Doohan, Takei, Nichols and Koenig, who openly admitted at conventions that they were concerned about younger actors taking on their roles (and convention spots) while the originals were still healthy enough to play their own characters.

The veteran actors also managed to suggest that a "Starfleet Academy" would have to be akin to the "Police Academy" franchise, with everything being played for laughs.

I had assumed it might be more like "The Paper Chase".

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  11. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Try Gene, it was one of his Phase II ideas:

So when we talking about the new movies being closer to TOS than TNG, we're not far off the mark.

And it looks like we've got the origin for Kirk being a smartass punk: the novel verse, just add father dying heroic death.

12. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Goodness I hope you are right! A CG animated show would be a great idea, Star Wars: The Clone Wars has shown how potent this medium could be. Make it so!

13. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

But that's never been a secret. Orci & Kurtzman told us they were reading specific novels.

And George Kirk Sr died a heroic death in the novels, too, but it was offscreen and shrouded in mystery. Jim was just a lot older when it happened.

14. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It has plenty to do with it but it doesn't make you the writer of the movie. Directors are often very hands-on with editing a movie but that doesn't make them the editor.

I'll tell you what, let's argue about it and see how far we can escalate the pedantry.

15. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Are the directors listed as editors in the credits?

16. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

In the "For What It's Worth" column: As some here have posted, who's responsible for the script of TWOK is far more complicated than just arguing about Bennett and Sowards.

The evolution of the story as it's related in Memory Alpha is interesting for those who weren't aware of it (or those who need their memories jogged).

Bennett came up with the original idea for the story and wrote a treatment that he gave to Sowards to turn into a screenplay. After the first draft, many people contributed criticisms and ideas in moving towards the final script, even though Sowards remained the sole credited screenwriter. Samuel Peeples and Nicholas Meyer had especially strong influences on the final screenplay, though they were uncredited.

Link to story (scroll about half-way down the page to the heading, "Background Information"):
    http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Star_Trek_II:_The_Wrath_of_Khan

17. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

So, basically, they're actually being respectful of a lot of the details that were for Kirk by the authors of the books. Details that have more or less fallen into accepted fanon.

Why do those bastards hate Trek Fans!

18. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

When the "story" and "screenplay" credits are shared by a single writer (or writing team) the credit is "written by."

Or, to crib from Wikipedia:

Also, the Saturn Awards are nice, but the AMPAS awards screenwriting Oscars to anyone receiving "story" or "screenplay" credit.

19. Kabraxal

Kabraxal Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I'm sure they are confused and "hurt" at first, then they see the box office returns and blu ray sales and realise "o, just some few vocal idiots that will never be happy". At least I hope so... I was one skeptical ID would be a good ST film after finding 09 to be somewhat disappointing for me. But now, ID is one of my favourite Trek films and 09 has been elevated because of it. I want more of what ID has shown Trek can be.

20. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore