Did they over do the crews obsession with Cochrane?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by WraithDukat, Jun 14, 2013.

1. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Sorry, I drink a lot of water.

2. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Good comeback:lol:

3. Tommunist

Tommunist Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

"It's just a little hero-worship, Doc."
    Besides, I always thought that the reverence any Trek character had for old Zef was a mirror to how Trek fans have idolized Gene Roddenberry. If it weren't for him, there'd be no Trek, be he wasn't the be-all end-all patron saint of adavanced humanity or the sole contributor to what makes Trek great.

As far as Archer bshing that alien in with the Cochrane statue: all I could think of was "Gee, I wish they would sell that statue!"

4. WraithDukat

WraithDukat Captain Captain

I'm talking about the crew of the NX 01.

Dont get me wrong I can see why they all "hero worship" the guy and perhaps "obsess" is the wrong word.

But they seem to talk about him every other episode, and Archer had a statue of him, I mean really WTF?

5. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

They do?

And how many times did Archer actually point out that statue, other than the one time he used it to kill someone? None, that I can recall.

6. Captain Rob

Captain Rob Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Steve Neil over at Steve Neil's Garage is selling that statue. He' a friend of Doug Drexler. And Doug let him pull a mold off of the original statue and sell signed copies.
    I just wish I had the money for one.

7. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Everyone has stupid historical shit in their ready rooms/offices.

8. Tommunist

Tommunist Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

That's great to know! Probably too rich for my blood, but I'll check it out! Thanks!

Now I wish I bought more of those NX-01 caps sold at the Trek Fan club back in the day. My original is faded from the sun, and I obtained a display one years ago, but won't wear it! Unfortunately, Enterprise branded merch is few and far between!

9. teacake

I'm not into memorabilia but there are 3 things I fancy owning.

The original Cochrane statue from Archer's room (not a newly cast one).

The salt and pepper shakers from Archer's dining table. These went on sale on ebay a few years back but I found out too late.

The chinese dragon in Janeway's ready room.

I have a piece of the shuttle from ST:XI. It's wood :lol: That's the only bit of memorabilia I have.

I would probably bid myself into oblivion over any of the Janeway ready room items if they came up though.

10. Shatnertage

Shatnertage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

How about one of the incredibly uncomfortable chairs from the VOY conference room?

I'm holding out for that blue cake.

11. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I loved the way evil Janeway's ready room was decked out in Author, Author.

12. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I never quite got the Cochrane worship. Yes, he invented warp drive on Earth, but then humans got out into the galaxy and discovered that everyone else had already been using it for centuries.

I wonder who came up with it first? The Vulcans, 2000+ years earlier?

13. teacake

Well China invented noodles and yet we still praise Italy for them.

14. Pavonis

Pavonis Commodore Commodore

Presumably the ancient humanoids from "The Chase" developed warp drive billions of years ago. I suppose they could have used other FTL propulsion methods, though, or even used sublight ships.

Warp drive may be the first FTL propulsion method that societies develop but then move on to other methods later. If an engineer living and working in the remote reaches of a devastated postwar world can build a warp-capable ship out of cobbled-together parts, then warp drive may be so easy to build that no one can fail to stumble over it first.

15. JiNX-01

JiNX-01 Admiral Admiral

I don't recall all that much hero worship of Cochrane on Enterprise. Yeah he was mentioned a few times and Archer had a little statue of him, but by the end of S2 Cochrane had pretty much disappeared from the conversation.