"Superman Returns Again" still in limbo...

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Norrin Radd, Aug 19, 2008.

1. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Go the Mummy 3 route and have Lois, richard and the kid be novel characters that the new recast lois is writing about ;)

2. Bad Bishop

Bad Bishop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

For the next film, changes in the art direction and production design could signal to the audience that it is not another continuation of SR's "Donnerverse." This way, Singer can get away with retaining his actors while still resetting Superman's universe. Fans who hate the kid will be placated. Fans who've warmed up to Routh (the vast majority of SR viewers, I'm sure) will also approve.

3. Samurai8472

I would change the set designs to actual locations. The rooftop scene with lois and Superman looked real cheap to me especially when you see the behind the scenes dvd feature

"you were suppose to make a working globe" lol

In 2006 I made a caption about it

4. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

^ I thought SR's Metropolis was probably a little darker and moodier than it should have been, but it all looked real enough to me.

I definitely preferred it to the bright and comic booky New York of the Spidey movies.

5. Samurai8472

Kevin Spacey has spoken; he's ready for the sequel.
    http://splashpage.mtv.com/2008/08/1...e-water-either-way-kevin-spacey-stands-ready/

6. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

Uhh, so Superman Returns came out in 2004? 2006 must have been one bizarre year then...

7. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^Or bizzar-O year!

8. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Fact checking...a lost art for some media people it seems. :lol:

9. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd Vice Admiral

10. Samurai8472

No sequel

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121936107614461929.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

11. JacksonArcher

I'm iffy on this news. I don't think every DC Comics character needs to be taken in a darker direction. It worked for Batman because he is a darker character. The Dark Knight was not a success because it was a dark movie -- it was a success because it was a good movie.

As for the Superman news, while I would have liked to have seen a continuation of Superman Returns under the direction of Bryan Singer I am more than open to a new interpretation. Now the biggest question is, since this is a reboot, will we see any of the cast from Returns -- including Brandon Routh -- or a completely new cast? I'm assuming that we'll see a new actor as the Man of Steel, which is something I'm not entirely convinced is the best course of action.

12. Bad Bishop

Bad Bishop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Robinov thinks he's found a magic formula, but I doubt that Nolanizing Superman is such a brilliant idea.

13. JacksonArcher

Exactly. I'm a bit worried now. One of people's biggest complaints towards Superman Returns was how brooding and dramatic it was. Wouldn't you think they'd want to lighten it up for another go-around?

14. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

The best news coming out of that article is confirmation that WB is planning a much bigger push to get more DC films made, with DC superheroes getting individual films that lead up to team films. The prospect of two DC superhero films per year is awesome (if, of course, it pans out).

As for WB aiming to make dark films, note that he says as dark as each character allows. Overall, I take that as good news, too, since it means they'll be concentrating on making serious superhero films and not getting into any Jack Black as Green Lantern malarkey.

15. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I liked Superman Returns, but we'll see, I guess. Worse comes to worse, WB will put out a number of comic book movies that I just don't care about and don't have to spend any money on to go see.

I'm just looking forward to another Nolan Batman film at this point. Anything else is gravy.

16. TheArsenal

TheArsenal Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I enjoy Returns. But I can easily see how people have problems with it, particularly tonally. Instead of "dark and brooding" the concept should be "tone which best suits the character". I don't know that Superman lends itself readily to dark and brooding, or that it should. The character always struck me as being most effective when it is used to evoke a sense of wonder from the extent of all those impossible powers. It's the clear eyed optimism of a superpowered farm boy in the face of all that darkness, which I think is what makes the character unique.

The challenge is not to make him darker, but to make those aspects work without being corny.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2008
  17. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

WB seem to be missing the point here. As Jackson points out, dark worked for Batman because Bats is a dark character. Superman is the light to that darkness. One of the biggest complaints lobbed at SR was the downbeat mood. Not every movie needs to be as down or grim as TDK. Look at the success of Iron Man - a feelgood,light-hearted movie, which pleased pretty much everyone. Sure, no-one wants the next Superman movie to be like Batman and Robin or Superman III, but it has to find its own tone, not be a clone of TDK.

It's looking increasingly unlikely, but I still would like to see Routh return, albeit with a spunkier and older Lois and a more menacing, sinister Lex. Off the top of my head, Elizabeth Banks and Stanley Tucci?!

18. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Ugh. As much as I wanted at least one followup to SR, I don't really have a problem with a fresh start. But "dark and brooding"? Isn't that the complaint most people already had with SR?

It's hard to get any darker than Superman getting the crap kicked out of him, watching him crawl through the muck, and then seeing him get stabbed in the back with kryptonite as he yells out in pain! Hell, I still find that scene in SR to be more powerful and disturbing than anything I saw in TDK.

If they want to give people a Superman movie they want to see, just make it light and fun and action-packed like Iron Man. It's not that hard to figure out.

(oops, looks like Captaindemotion beat me to it)

19. Samurai8472

A dark superman is not the way to go. That's why we never got those aborted plans of superman throwing knives, homicidal tendencies and choosing not to fly.

20. Trent Roman

Trent Roman Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I had the opposite complaint: that the film, amongst its many other faults, was corny, cheesy, and all-around impossible to take seriously. A dark Superman could work; my favourite version of the character is the JLU version, seasoned and perhaps a bit world-weary for it, concerned with the dynamic between his power, his notion of justice, and the free will of others. But then, my favourite 'Superman' concept is JMS' version of Hyperion in the Supremeverse, which squarely situates an entity of such power into the realpolitiks of the modern world.

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman