The Martok Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Ryva Brall, May 8, 2013.

1. Ryva Brall

Ryva Brall Commander Red Shirt

I don't know about you guys, but Martok is my favorite Klingon ever. He starts out as a cook on a flagship, and ends up becoming the Chancellor of the whole danged Klingon Empire. He's a great warrior, a brilliant strategist and leader, and a loyal friend. He even makes Worf, Jadzia and Alexander members of his house. And his scar is super badass. :D To me, he's the embodiment of what makes Klingons awesome.

Here's one of my favorite Martok scenes:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JqFG_7wRKM[/yt]

That laugh. It's the best. :lol:

What about you? What are your favorite Martok moments?

2. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Martok always seemed to polar opposite of Worf. Worf's all about tradition, honor and what not... while Martok just knows what -really- makes Klingons tick.

As for a favorite scene... hmm, I liked his relationship with Sirella, even if most of it was mentioned off screen. "Enough of the war with the Dominion, tell me of the war at home!" when asking Sisko how his marriage was going. :p

3. Third Nacelle

Third Nacelle Captain Captain

Martok is my favorite Klingon as well. I think the DS9 writers and J. G. Hertzler did a great job of making him a real, believable, well-rounded Klingon character without turning him into a human with a funny forehead - as has happened with some other aliens.

Next to all his awesomeness late in the Dominion War, I think his best moments were during You Are Cordially Invited. It was cool to get a glimpse into Klingon domestic life.

4. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    I toast this thread with a barrel of bloodwine! Martok made Worf a better Klingon; and Hertzler made Dorn look good.

5. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I know everyone loves Garak, and Garak was awesome, but I think Martok might be my favorite Character in all of Star Trek. There was a man that was true to the term of "Klingon Honor".

6. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

I liked Martok in the Armada games as well, I mean you have to respect a guy who says he is going to pave hell with your ashes.

7. Ryva Brall

As long as it's the 2309. Only the finest vintage will do. ;)

8. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Martok is easily the best non-Worf Klingon.

His attitude toward everything exemplifies what we all want Klingons to be.

9. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd have to say Martok is my favourite (full-blooded) Klingon. He beats Worf hands down, IMO.

10. R. Star

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Is it just a coincidence the one eyed Klingons rock?

11. Pondwater

Pondwater Vice Admiral Admiral

He was portrayed rather well. I liked him because he wasn't as uptight like Worf was and that story he told Worf about how he worked his way up through the ranks. I think it was in "Once More Unto the Breach".

12. Ryva Brall

YES. That's one of the reasons why Martok beats Worf as my favorite Klingon. Most of the time, Worf acts like he was born without a sense of humor, but Martok seems like he'd be a fun guy to be around.

To be honest, with Worf being as dead serious as he is, I always wondered what that jokester Jadzia saw in him.

13. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

One of the best characters in DS9, maybe Trek as a whole. But most of that is because of Hertzler's performance. He took what the writers wrote, and made it his own, creating that character completely.

Favorite scene.... wow, to many to choose from. Right now, the one in You Are Cordially Invited, when he sings together with Worf. What a voice!!

14. Dal Rassak

Dal Rassak Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

THREE CHEERS FOR GOOD OLD MARTOK! HIPP-HIPP...
    All together now!!

15. R. Star

All I can say is maybe Dax's nature to simply be contrary for it's own sake. It was a small wonder they fought. Maybe the sex was good, but even they took that too far with the Sickbay visits.

I was always pulling for Bashir to end up with Jadzia. Sucks for him that he has to treat them both every time they get their groove on too. Just twist that knife a bit more eh you two?

16. mythme

mythme Commodore Commodore

For me what best demonstrates how Martok was written so genuinely Klingon is in the finale; while Sisko and Admiral Ross refuse to toast their taking of Cardassia because of the mass slaughter that has taken place, Martok relishes in his victory, chuckles at the humans "ethics" and guzzles his bloodwine. I love it when aliens don't conform to humanity's own sense of morality.

17. horatio83

horatio83 Commodore Commodore

After TNG played this game of an emigrant who takes the traditions of his own culture more seriously than the people who never went away, of Worf the hyper-honourable Klingon vs. all the scheming, Romulan-like Klingons, it was simply necessary to have a Klingon character who does not match either of these extremes.

18. Ryva Brall

That's true. It was past time for a Klingon who wasn't a stereotype. Martok was a well-rounded character, with a nice balance of all the Klingon traits. And he didn't struggle constantly with his identity, like Worf. And B'Elanna, for that matter.

19. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    The writers did a really smart thing (helped not inconsiderably by Hertzler) with Once More.... They put Martok in opposition to one of Trek's most-admired elder figures and let him vent his class prejudices. Yet he just comes away even more as a rounded, fallible character :). That said, the class thing may not be as interesting to non-Brits.

20. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

Totally agree with you there. I hate when aliens show human morals and ethics, they're far more interesting when their behaviour is more 'alien' by our standards (Garak is another great example of this).