Merlin Season 2 in the US

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Apr 3, 2010.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't know if anyone here cares, but I thought I'd set up a thread for us Americans who haven't seen the second season yet. J

Here's TV Guide's description of tonight's episode, (the Season 2 premier and first episode to make it's American debut on SYFY) The Curse of Cornelius Sigan: The Season 2 premiere finds new servant Cedric (Mackenzie Crook) elbowing his way past Merlin to become Arthur's manservant and turning the prince against the young warlock. Merlin soon learns that the slippery Cedric has a nefarious goal: to get his hands on a jewel found in a recently discovered ancient tomb.
    I really enjoyed the first season, so I'm pretty excited for this episode.

2. KB24

KB24 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I watched the second season online, but I intend to see it again on Syfy. Eventhough I don't like where the channel is going, I'm pleased Merlin is with like shows were American audiences can find it easier. SyFy (I hate that!) also had a few marathon days of Season 1. Now if Netflix, Hulu, and proper streamings and such and American DVDs ever got set,that would help considerably.

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

What's wrong with Hulu? They have the whole first season up.

4. KB24

I think Hulu has some deal with NBC that's iffy with Merlin. When Season 1 was on NBC last summer, they could have it available. When Merlin was off of NBC, they couldn't show it. If Syfy is going to label it as 'theirs' you'd think they really would put into the series and not make audiences wait for it.

I like Merlin very much. I'm surprised it really hasn't even caught on here. Care? I feel like Luke. 'I care!'

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

They must have put them back up then, because they have the whole first series/season up right now ( I just checked while I was typing this). Last night's isn't up yet, but I'm assuming they should add it eventually. THey have all of the other stuff from Syfy so I don't see why they wouldn't have season/series two.
    I know, I like it too, but apparently we must be the only two. Or everybody already discussed it when it came out in the UK and doesn't feel like going over it again.

6. Joeman

Joeman Captain Captain

Pretty much the only time I watch SyFy (hate that name change btw) is when Trek is on. But I did stumble across Merlin recently, and was intrigued. I had no idea it existed. Excalibur is one of my favorite movies, so I was curious as to whether this would be any good, since so much of what is shown on SyFy is pure cheese to me.

I would ask if it's worth watching, but obviously you think it is. I'll definitely check it out.

7. KB24

I think a lot of people don't know Merlin exists. Even though it is a hit with successful numbers in the UK, it's not being pumped by BBC America like the Who bits, Primeval, and all that other stuff that I am actually not happy with.

I'd be curious to see the ratings numbers as Season 2 is on 'Syfy'. Does anyone really like that change?

8. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I watched Season 1 on NBC and could barely keep watching, so I think I'll just skip it now. I'll have to check out the S2 Finale though that sounds cool.

9. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

I watch the show, but it's not exactly my favorite representation of the camelot story. I certainly wouldn't want this version of Merlin or Arthur to become the go-to incarnation of the characters. As a little-known fantasy show, on the other hand, I'm fine with it.

10. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Merlin is the Smallville approach to Arthurian legend.

If that Starz version (Camelot) gets off the ground, that will be the Tudors (or maybe the Spartacus? :rommie:) approach to Arthurian legend. Which doesn't sound good but might at least be fun.

There must be a better way to do things. How about the Deadwood approach to Arthurian Legend? BSG? Desperate Housewives?

11. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I watch the show, but my problem with it is it's just doesn't seem to take itself or its universe seriously at all.

I know its a family show, but family doesn't have to be stupid.

There are several episode I do like (of both seasons), but character work is so , inconsistent. And really, thats the one thing budget and production values should have no impact on, so its what gets me upset the most. And I hate that people think that kids (or full families) can't watch shows that have legitimate and developed characters and arcs and be generally entertaining.

12. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

I think the biggest problem is that I don't really care if this version of Arthur becomes King. In most incarnations, Merlin is at least around to teach Arthur how to become a decent King, but Merlin's main role in the tv show is to save Arthur's life and get demeaned before, during, and after.

13. MeanJoePhaser

MeanJoePhaser Admiral

I like that the show added much needed elements to Arthurian legends: tomatoes and black people.

I couldn't relate to Camelot crap before, but now I can.

14. KB24

I agree some of the modern Smallville and/or family approach is too silly and juvenile. The early episodes of the seasons have so far both taken this 'we must atrract audiences with cool crap!' road at the expense of the charactherization. Once the season gets on, however, Merlin gets dark,serious, and adds positvely to Camelot mythos. I would rather the entire season be serious and grim, but they just have to have those silly monster effects for the kiddies that aren't even watching!

I'm curious about the Starz Camelot, but I really hope it isn't a 90210 type contemporary soap edition. I wish someone would just make an LOTR calibur Arthurian movie.

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've never even heard about this new Camelot, when is it supposed to start?
    I'm wondering if maybe it's meant as competition for A Game of Thrones on HBO? It seems like a pretty big coincidence that they'd be doing the same kind of show like that at the same time.
    _________

Ok, I just looked it up on wikipedia, and it says it is a "contemporary series retelling of Camelot". Does that it's actually going to take place in the present, or is it just that it's a new show?

16. KB24

This new Camelot series is supposed to be on Starz in 2011. I haven't really heard much more about it. But Michael Hurst is also doing some sort of Agincort series too, so there's more medievalesque material coming to the premium channels.

I just hope Season 3 of Merlin goes in the right direction. After all Hex died quickly, and they ruined their own Robin Hood, so hopefully Merlin can survive its projected five seasons.

17. KB24

Okay, the IMDB board seems to be buzzing for Merlin. I saw some rating numbers that looked like 1.3 mil viewers.SyFy seems to be milking it for all its worth, with repeat airings everywhere, even on USA and Bravo. I hope audiences don't get sick of it before they come to like it. SyFy has a habit of playing the same show over and over.

Here is a link also to Michael Hirst talking about this other Camelot show that is supposed to be about sometimes.

http://longagocaptures.org/wordpress/?p=724

18. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

If they want a dark and bloody Arthur they should adapt Bernard Cornwells the Warlord Chronicles.

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I saw on wikipedia that appeared to have left at the end of the second to last episode of the season. Has anyone said for certain if Katie McGrath is going to be back for season 3? I liked the character, and was curious to see how/if she was going to go bad.

20. KB24

I believe or at least hope for season 3 that she and Morgause come back as a menacing duo. I like that the second half of each series gets some of those familiar and magical growing pains. I really hope Season 3 doesn't' feel the need to reset and be funny andhip in theearly episodes, I'd rather it get dark and step it up a notch. The original and personal diagloue and stories from the end of season 2 are really great.

You haven't seen all of Season 2? I watched it online when it aired last Fall in the UK.