Star Trek Teaser - Grading and Disscusion

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by EyalM, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

Maybe that wasn't CGI, but real sets being built. :D

I think "under construction" is the theme of the whole thing. Beyond that, I really doubt Abrams really cares what's read into it (well, he wants us to like it, which seems to be the case).
    As I posted above, I'm beginning to believe those workers were meant to look 1960ish. The only thing missing was somebody's lunch box sitting on the saucer.
    I mean, even today most precision welding is done by robots. And you have phasers, but still weld in the 20th century manner? If that's supposed to be an authentic representation of the building of the Enterprise, then I want to see a Federation inspector going around to test all those welds. ;)

From the point of view of saying it's something new YET it's still mindful of the optimism and promise of space exploration that fueled TOS in the 1960s, it's damn good.

2. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

Heh. That was awesome. :D

I think that was the idea. When you first see them, you have no idea it's a film set in the future. And I thought it gave the whole proceedings a magical air, like Lantern Wastes in "The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe" or all the steampunk tech in "The Golden Compass." Sure it's anachronistic, but that's the whole point. Made for a very effective teaser, IMO.

Now, if this sequence is in the final film, that'll be a whole other story... :lol:

3. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    I liked it. Not as super-awesome as I hoped it'd be, but it made me even more exicted about the film's release so it did its job effectively.

4. Ah Forgive!

Ah Forgive! Commander Red Shirt

I adored this trailer. What I loved most was how it implies the grand scale of TMP that most of the other Trek movies seemed to lack. I hope the interior sets are just as impressive, or at least a step above the hokey TV-series-quality sets we've become accustomed to.

Nimoy's voice made this feel like "real" Star Trek to me, and not just someone else's take on it. It felt like revisiting my childhood.

I'm not really sure why there is all this ruckus from the canon-freaks about the Enterprise being built on Earth. The dedication plaque specifically says it was built in San Francisco. Have they ever said otherwise in the shows or films?

5. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

I enjoyed it. The saucer looks pretty much like a meld between the TOS Enterprise and the refit. However, at one point you see one of the nacelle struts (not connected to a nacelle, but oriented 'properly') and it seems to be the rectangular type from TOS rather than the canted and somewhat trapezoidal ones from the refit. Also, I saw a circular yellow graphic that looks similar to the one that's on the bottom of the TOS Enterprise's primary hull.

I'm really looking forward to the movie.

6. Sharr Khan

Sharr Khan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

When I was younger that plaque really confused me since well I guess I assumed: "Its a starship, it must have been built in space - yet San Francisco is a on Earth. Why would they call orbital facilities 'San Fransisco shipyards'? Given there is such a place." it always seemed contradictory to me.

To me the rational that they built drydocks and called them "San Fransisco Shipyards" is really stretching it. If the plaque was meant to say: "San Fransisco orbital shipyards" it would - but I'm pretty sure it doesn't.

Sharr

7. Dart

Dart Commodore Commodore

That baby looks like it could do Warp 15 no problem.

8. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

Nick Meyer already did the 'bag lunch' thing in TWOK, but it was cut from the release print.

It would take a ton of work to make real sets look this painterly, whereas it is easy to let CG look painterly and unrealistic like this. What would have been grand is if they'd built a good miniature, hired Richard Yuricich to shoot it, then enhanced that with live-action people comped in, along with some CG atmospherics if real atmospherics wouldn't scale properly. APOLLO 13 should have been the objective here, something that has physicality as well as spectacle.

9. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

So, who else thinks this guy in the teaser looks exactly like Ray Liotta?

10. Woulfe

Woulfe Commodore Commodore

Screw the crappy you tube version....

I just got back from CLOVERFIELD !

The teaser looks SO much better on an actual movie screen !

11. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

^ Good to hear that! I already love the YouTube one, but look forward to see the teaser on the big screen, too ...

12. egonbeeblebrox

egonbeeblebrox Commander Red Shirt

Hell Yeah! I'm sold, and even my sister is, and she usually isn't a fan of Trek.

13. pookha

pookha Admiral Admiral

how i saw it was major sections were indeed built in san fran and then transported up and connected together in space.

for that matter they could they build the saucer section and fly it up.

14. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I think the most important thing about this teaser is that it suggests Abrams is making an actual MOVIE here.

As good as I thought his MI3 was, there was no denying that it was essentially a glorified, big budget episode of Alias. I don't get that "TV feel" at all with this teaser.

This movie feels like it's going to be incredibly atmospheric and epically huge in scope, just as it should be.

15. Holytomato

Holytomato Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Let me click on the youtube link:

The dark isn't 1966 dark!!!! :mad: :scream: :censored: :brickwall:

Its supposed to be the Desilu logo not Paramount's nor Robot's!!!! :mad: :scream: :censored: :brickwall:

The Enterprise's parts are being constructed in the San Fransisco Navy Yards and then being put in space, then being put together in the spacedock, just like it says on the ship's plaque!!!! :mad: :scream: :censored: :brickwall:

They used C G I!!!! :mad: :scream: :censored: :brickwall:

Its a cross between the TOS and TMP designs!!!! :mad: :scream: :censored: :brickwall:

Nimoy said "Space the final frontier" not Shatner!!!! :mad: :scream: :censored: :brickwall:

J.J. Abrams has raped my childhood!!!! :mad: :scream:

:turning tin foil mode off:

Great! I can't wait to see it on the big screen.

and on my flat screen full spectrum LCD HD tv.

and on a Digital 3D Imax movie screeen. :thumbsup:

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I saw Cloverfield this morning and I thought the trailer was increbible, just like the movie. I'm just glad that they actually put the trailer in front of a movie as good as Cloverfield. TBH the showing I went to had one of the best collections of trailers I've seen: Trek, Hellboy 2, Iron Man, and Jumper all back to back.

17. Woulfe

Woulfe Commodore Commodore

^ Only thing I was miffed about was no Indy 4 teaser !

Oh well, good things come to those who wait, eh ?

18. steveman

steveman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

What can I say? It's nice to finally see something done for us again. We've had to sit back and watch while fans of every sort (Star Wars, Batman, Spider-Man, Harry Potter, Transformers...) got to see their worlds looked after and lovingly brought to the big screen. We've had to sit back and watch while they've had their time in the sun. While they've had trailers to get excited for. While they've had opening nights to go to.

With this trailer, their time is officially over.

Now, it's time to see our world brought (back) to the big screen. It's time for us to get excited about trailers. About going to an opening night.

It's our time, baby. :thumbsup:

19. Holytomato

Holytomato Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The guy who did the Human:Ship size comparison video, Vektor, the person who did the April Fool's Day design, and the person who did the recent fake trailer were correct.

:thumbsup:

20. Capt.April

Capt.April Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

In the Trek history of the future remember Earth has gone through WW3 along with other huge upheavels of probably cultural and economic conflicts ("the post atomic horror"). One thing I thought Enterprise did not do well was to show the future as well as say the TMP novel. Enterprise was too America centered, it looked like it was too linear with todays world. In a couple of hundred years after wars and econonomic collapse and rebuilding and restructuring there may be a mix of old and new. A guy welding with a stick welder, possibly fusion powered two pieces of starship plating made of materials that we could only guess at could be quite feasible.

Two things that will change the world:
    1. Fusion power
    2. Matter teleportation/manipulation

A world with these two inventions would probably be unrecognizable to us, we're 17th century people looking at the year 2000. Ben Franklin would probably be a little disapointed though looking under the hood of Ford F-150 truck that we're still using pistons to move the darn thing.

'Stick Welder'....yea cool. But i wonder what it's attatched to?

Sorry for the ramble...Loved the trailer, I want it in HD!