A Hater Revisits nuWho

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Bones2, Nov 30, 2009.

1. Bones2

Bones2 Commodore Commodore

I only saw that Daleks two parter just the once when it came out, but I don't recall it being that awful. It'll be a while before I get to it, but as bad as the Slitheen two parter, Boomtown, Love and Monsters, and Fear Her? Takes some doing.

2. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Boomtown is a classic RTD limp episode, in that even in episodes that aren't great he manages to put something phenomenal in there, namely the Doctor's conversation with Margaret over dinner which is brilliant.

3. selina

selina Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Almost the same here. I never got why people dislike "Fear her" so much.

BE AWARE OF SPOILERS!

Is it because the storyline 'there's a monster in the closet' is a cliché or because it isn't plausible enough? Or because the girl "captures" everyone in her pictures? Or because she is possessed by the little alien life-form? I like the analogy that they are both lonely. Also, it's quite understandable why the girl is afraid of her father and tries to compensate that by drawing a picture of him the way she sees him. After all, it is an average episode for me, but not a complete waste of time. I laughed several times, e.g. when Rose says "You're cute" and the Doctor thinks she means him before he realises that she was talking to a cat.

Well, "Love & Monster's" I didn't like because there wasn't enough Doctor in it and because I found the other actors annoying. I also disliked the ending and it's certainly my least favourite episode - closely followed by "Evolution of the Daleks", in which case I didn't like the story, but that's just me.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2009
  4. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

Fear Her, its a very implausible plot and the Doctor carrying the Olympic flame, that is one of those moments where we can say that Ten devlops the ego that leads up to the events of Waters of Mars.

the problem with Evolution of the Daleks is not theDoctor, Martha or even the Daleks, its Lazo and the show girl.

5. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Don't forget about the pigmen.

Oh, sorry to remind everyone. :o

6. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

As I've always said, the early lineup of the third season of the revival is thus:

Smith and Jones
    The Shakespeare Code
    Gridlock
    Fucking Pigmen
    No, Seriously, Fucking Pigmen: Part II

Helen Raynor redeemed herself, mildly, with the season four Sontaran two-parter, but there is no way of getting around that Manhattan abomination. Out of the aforementioned "Daleks looking over their shoulders" bit, there is absolutely nothing redeeming about those episodes.

Then again, they're still better than Fear Her and the Doctor running the fucking Olympic torch.

7. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

I like what Steven Moffat had to say about Smith And Jones.

This was original posted at Outpost Gallifrey and the thread of Moffat's quotes about the show was reposted atthe enw site.

8. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

Someone should ask the Moff to post h here. We're much nicer than the OG guys. :D

9. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Folks have been saying that apart from the Daleks looking over their shoulders, there's nothing of redemptive value in "Daleks in Manhattan"/"Evolution of the Daleks."

The first thing I'd say is that I enjoyed "Daleks in Manhattan" even though I thought "Evolution of the Daleks" was crap. I liked the tribute to American pulp storytelling.

And, secondly: Whatever else you may think about that two-parter, Murray Gold's "Evolution of the Daleks" theme is WONDERFUL, as is the song "The Devil in Me."

10. ITL

ITL Vice Admiral Admiral

This be true.

I recently watched the two-parter again, just to see if ignoring it since the original broadcast could in any way make it seem exciting and new. I consider the fact that I didn't inject bleach directly into my brain in an attempt to remove the memory of watching it one of my greatest triumphs.

:D

11. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Oh, wouldn't that be awesome? Not going to happen because we're primarily a Star Trek board, but I would still love it.

12. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

Everything he writes for Who turns to ....... turns to..... it turns out great!

13. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

Haha, I feel with you regarding The Gunfighters and, to a lesser degree, The Underwater Menace. In the former, the writers have this secret plan of driving their audience mad by having this stupid Western song play every 2 minutes and recount what just happened in the episode. They should just have made the story a two-parter instead.
    In The Underwater Menace, just one stupid, pointless thing after another happens. So, Atlantis wasn't really destroyed but can be accessed through a mountain, they all speak English and they've somehow managed to contract a crazy scientist to lift up Atlantis out of the sea, who is really keen on destroying the world in the process? Ok...
    But it's so over the top I just went along for the ride. It's all so silly I can't take it seriously or get upset about it.

14. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

Moffat has puled back from the fans altogether, you won't be seeing him posting anywhere 'til his run is over with.

15. Bones2

Bones2 Commodore Commodore

Of course, now RTD has some time on his hands...

You never know.

16. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

RTDs will be on OG under another name slagging off Moffatt, or maybe he will join the Leisure Hive ;)

17. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

For me its the incredibly simplistic story, the substandard acting on show from most of the guest cast, the fact it looks like it was made for CBBC (its kiddier than every episode of the Sarah Jane Adventures) the incredible similarity to the Idiot Lantern that was only a few episodes earlier...oh and the Olympics bit with the Doctor carrying the torch was cringe worthy in the extreme!

18. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Unlikely. Moffat and Davies like each other and like one-another's work. There's a reason RTD offered the gig to Moffat, after all.

19. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

Thanks, Sci. I'm sure no one knew that.

20. Orac Zen

Orac Zen Mischief Manager Super Moderator

And you wouldn't be able to permaban him, either. :D