Art Asylum/Diamond Select Tricorder delay

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by WendellM, Aug 30, 2008.

1. Trekwatcher

Trekwatcher Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

They pop up on eBay all the time, so if anybody still wants one they are there for the taking.

2. Human-annoyed

Human-annoyed Commander Red Shirt

The same thing happened to mine. I ruined my Playmates Enterprise D the same way.

3. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

I've got one floating around somewhere. Hopefully, it's in storage.

No matter, since I have an AA one on hand. :D

4. Super Grover

Super Grover Vice Admiral Admiral

This is so stupid, but I carry my communicator with me wherever I go. It's just fun to have around.

5. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I put Velcro on my belt, another patch on the back of the communicator and wear it around sometimes. It's not just the chirping when you flip it open that's cool; it's the "rriiipppp" when you pull it off the belt that totally seals the deal.

6. WendellM

WendellM Commodore Commodore

Yes (not stupid). I like you guys. I'd prefer you as co-workers.

7. Super Grover

Super Grover Vice Admiral Admiral

Well it's easier to carry around than the phaser. Well, The type II anyway.

8. Captain Robert April

I'm afraid to put velcro on my AA Phaser I. I've got a feeling it wouldn't fit right in the Phaser II mount.

9. startrekfiero

startrekfiero Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

We are doing an article in the ST collector magazine on the various TOS Tricorders made over the years and we are including the DST version. I will try and get an update on the release date the next time I talk to marketing at DST.

10. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i'm sure this has been discussed at some point...but why haven't we got a TOS style cell phone?

11. 26138

26138 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think that might cause a giant nerd-gasm the likes of which the Earth has never seen. Seriously though, I don't think it'd be practical to carry around in a pocket - it seems just a little too big compared to today's cell phones.

12. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's practically the same size as my EnV, although I don't have a TOS communicator for reference. And they'd have to mess with the design to get the keypad, display and all that in there.

13. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

an exact replica would be too big, i agree. i have a small LG (not sure which model exactly) flip top. one of my friends was saying how he hates the flip model and likes a slide or rocker type. i told him i just imagine being Kirk when i get a call or text. :)

14. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

Just thinking that - weird choice. Trek's always used Celsius to my immediate recollection.
    Kelvin would make most sense though, for a scientific scanning device.

15. Captain Robert April

TOS generally stated temperatures in Fahrenheit because it's made for an American audience, and we still go by that scale, despite the best efforts of the rest of the world to force us onto the metric system and Celsius temp measurements.

I think it's a trait we inherited from the British (ask a Brit about the last time the continent tried to make them drive on the right side of the road).

16. Trekwatcher

Trekwatcher Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You can buy some modified TOS comms on ebay that have cell phone guts put in them if you really want a TOS comm cell phone.

17. startrekfiero

startrekfiero Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Anyone remember when the company Sona announced in 2005 that it was making a Star Trek TOS communicator styled cell phone?
    Fans reactions were mixed as it had a lot of TNG screen designs within it though the shell and all looked pretty much like a TOS model.
    Too bad they bailed on it right before it went to market as I think it still would have been cool.