high school wrestling: girls on boys' teams

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Flying Spaghetti Monster, Jul 6, 2012.

1. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

What do you think.. should girls be on boys' teams?

2. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

If they weren't, they probably wouldn't have enough girls to have their own team.

3. Mr. B

Mr. B Vice Admiral Admiral

Dumb idea. A lot of boys are understandably reluctant to wrestle a girl. I know I wouldn't, at least not in public. Common sense is just as important as "equality."

4. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

No.

There are better ways of getting girls to roll around with you.

5. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They did it in "Diary of a Wimpy Kid". Not that *that* means anything.

6. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

Are we having this whole debate again?

If the girls can compete fairly in boys' team (i.e. there isn't a large difference in body mass and muscle power), then I don't see any reason why they can't compete with them.

Gender segregation in sports is needed to ensure that female players get a fair competition in activities where different size and muscle power give male players a significan advantage.

Not because some boys could get uncomfortable touching boobies. Get over it.

7. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Pretty much this. If possible, having them separate makes sense, but it isn't always possible.

8. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Of course.

One reason why we have to endure all this gender inequality shit, and people struggling with being uncomfortable with the other sex, uncomfortable with perfectly normal physical contact, is because we separate them for a very long time.

When there's no unfair physical advantage, then there's no problem. And then again, there are lot of sports where all that physical disadvantage talk is just a pretended argument.

Why? What's the problem?

Are you really that sexually insecure that you can only think of that one?

Exactly!

9. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

O RLY?

10. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

Luckily, wrestling is one of those sports that factors in size to the competitive nature. A physically fit athletic woman who weighed the same as I did would be a fair match. I wrestled in high school, and would have had no problem wrestling a girl in my weight class (at the time, 152). Shoot, a 152 lb athletic teenage woman would have been intimidating.

The reason most other sports are gender segregated is that the average female weighs nowhere near what the average male weighs.

11. Data Holmes

Data Holmes Admiral Admiral

All sports should be co-ed.

12. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

No, that would make it impossible for girls to compete in mosts sports at all after puberty.

13. iguana_tonante

Yeah, you won't find anything here which wasn't discussed the last time in that thread.

Yep, exactly my point.

14. clint g

clint g Admiral Admiral

Seems like a sexual harassment lawsuit waiting to happen.

15. iguana_tonante

16. clint g

clint g Admiral Admiral

Roll your eyes all you want, it doesn't make it any less true.

17. iguana_tonante

It's both:

a) paranoid, and

b) an excuse for the real reason, i.e. paternalism.

18. clint g

clint g Admiral Admiral

We live in a world where people sue corporations after they spill coffee on themselves. Maybe in Italy it isn't an issue but in the United States it's far from paranoia.

Not quite sure where paternalism comes into play since no one is saying you can't have co-ed wrestling. It seems to be more a matter of no one wanting it.

Myself, I really couldn't care either way. I neither wrestle nor do I watch it but I can certainly see the issues that will come up.

19. iguana_tonante

I am led to believe that was not exactly what actually happened in that famed case.

I am aware the US is a much more sue-happy environment than Europe, but succumbing to such culture is no better than causing it.

And the reason why they don't want it? Sexism, machismo, and paternalism. Apparently, it's "dishonourable" to treat women as worthy opponents and treat them the same as men. Even if they step on the mattress willingly to participate in sports, women are fragile creatures that can't decide for themselves. How is that not paternalism?

I have been practicing jujutsu for 12 years, and I've sparred (non competitively) with both men and women. I never had any issue.

20. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Eh, we had a girl on our wrestling team in high school. Nobody thought anything of it.