STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by RAMA, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Deadline has $9.5 million as the Friday number. The projection of $47 million for the 4-day is an optimistic one at the high end of possible multipliers. The most typical multipliers would lead to a 4-day take of $43-44 million. We'll see how things unfold as the numbers are refined and adjusted.

2. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Yep.

3. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't know who Tommunist is, but he/she makes a lot of sense.

4. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Deadline has adjusted the Friday number to $10.1 million now and left the projection at $47 milllion. $46-47 million is the likely range for that Friday number, with an outside shot at $50 million.

5. Quinton O'Connor

Quinton O'Connor Commodore Commodore

Indeed, I thoroughly enjoyed his/her post last night. I was midway through a reply when I passed out, actually. Lost my progress when I woke up. :lol:

But yes.

Beautiful. I can confirm I contributed to last night's numbers; brought the film roughly ~$60. I took four of my friends who were on the fence about seeing it.

They all loved it! Now I've tasked them with spreading the word. Let's have ourselves a strong third weekend!

6. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I'm still debating whether to go one more time. Though I think my wife would kill me considering how much money I've dropped on this movie and associated merchandise! :rofl:

7. Quinton O'Connor

Tread carefully, Bill! ;)

8. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

An anticipated conversation I'll be having with my wife next week: Babe, I'm just nipping out to pick up some groceries, I'll probably take my time, see you in say, 3 hours!

9. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

I plan to catch it on the full size IMAX if I can find THE BLOODY TIME TO DO IT!!! :scream:

I saw it on the opening Thursday night at a regular cinema but I'm curious to see the portions filmed with IMAX cameras at a proper IMAX (15/70) venue.

10. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I'm bringing 3 more people with me Tues. That's another $64 at Imax 3D.:techman:

11. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I bought a Hot Wheels Kelvin starship yesterday! Paramount loves me. I'll have spent $132 on the movie alone.

RAMA

12. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

$47 million plus $108 million=$155 million in 10 days domestic for the "flop". :lol::guffaw:

13. The Transformed Man

The Transformed Man Commander Red Shirt

I think Deadline is being a bit conservative (not a lot). With a Friday of $10.1 STiD should make closer to $39.5-40 over the three day weekend with a four day cumulative in the high $48 million range, maybe even $49 to 50 million. Again the film is tracking very close to Trek 2009, and assuming Saturday is probably in the high $17 million range, and like other Memorial Day performers, Sunday should be higher than Friday (probably $11-11.5 million) we are probably looking at closer to $39 million.

Just some thoughts.

Yancy

14. The Transformed Man

The Transformed Man Commander Red Shirt

And if anyone wants to talk about flopping sequels... hello Hangover III. Sure it will more than make up it's budget and be a huge hit overseas, but compared to the numbers Hangover II brought in it's a massive underperformer.

Yancy

15. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Yeah, it should still do fine relative to its budget, but it'll have a massive drop-off from the second film. They've left a lot of money on the table by wasting the good will from the first film.

16. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

We were talking about the Hangover movies there, not the Trek movies, i.e. the massive drop-off for The Hangover III from The Hangover II is because they've produced bad sequels and wasted the good will from the first Hangover.

17. Quinton O'Connor

18. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Oh I see! Still, there were plenty of straight faced claims STID was going to make $215 million!

The Hangover III had the worst trailers ive ever seen!!

RAMA

19. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Studio estimates for Friday:

1. F&F 6 - $38.2m
    2. HIII - $14.53m
    3. STiD - $10.2m
    4. Epic - $9.35m

20. Tommunist

Tommunist Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Thanks for the warm welcome. Sometimes I make make sense, but I attribute that to the "broken clock" syndrome...:lol:

In any event, I was somewhat chatty on the TrekWeb boards very late 90's and early 2000's.

I shall endeavor to become more irrational, snide, dismissive and derogatory in the future, sort of like the comments people post on YouTube and Deadline. If some of the people on Deadline are to be believed, and they actually have some connection to the entertainment industry, then a tiny tear rolls down my cheek for all of humanity...