So, Cult is like Bathing in Broken Glass.

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Guy Gardener, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2193053/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Imagine I thought Star Trek was real, and the episodes were talking to me, telling my suggestible lack of willpower to kill people and I was following through on these secret messages hidden in the rich language of the intentionally subversive programming?

Booh fucking hoo.

If a kid playing baseball starts screaming "death to the opposition" throughout a game, are they going to start censoring Deep Space Nine? Or what if another kid shits out a kidney from ODing on prune juice becuase he idolizes Worf?

You can't blame TV for Crazy people.

Like they said in Scream... Scary Movies don't make crazy people, scary movies make crazy people creative.

In truth, I used to tell boring people that the Vorlons and the Shadows were gods worshipped by a remote South American tribe which tricked regular barflies at my university watering hole into discussing the metapsychology of Babylon 5 for hours becuase I'm a little bit of an asshole... But this new tv show is just shit.

Remember when Dean and Sam turned up to a Supernatural Fan Convention which was Hilarious... Or the time they skipped into an alternate reality where their lives was all a TV show which was even funnier... But this isn't funny It's really quite sad.

Cult is sad.

If someone is leaving subliminal messages that instruct murder into local programming, considering Judus Priest went to trial for leaving the subliminal message "Do you want a peppermint" in one of their tracks which alledgedly caused a distrubed young man to comit suiside almost 30 years ago, there's enough precidence here that there doesn't have to be a one man war on a TV Show to bring it to justice. Just ring the fricking FCC and be over and done with it.

Zero Hour was out right bad, this however is just "nothing". it's so insubstantial that I can't even raise the rage to decry the tragedy about the 3 hours of my life wich I've already wasted on this bollocks.

Someone cancel this shit and send Allaric back to Vampire Diaries where he belongs.

I'm not wrong?

The funny thing is, that the Fake TV show which Cult is ballancing on, actually looks reasonably interesting, and even seems better than the Following, that serial killer thing with Kevin Bacon, but they gave the Following more rope to hang itself.

Not a fan of that either. :(

2. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

Guy hates this show? I must DVR it straight away, it'll be awesome!

3. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

It sucks. The show within the show is supposed to be this cult hit yet it is so uninteresting and bland that I can't see it attaining any kind of cult status tv whatsoever. It seems like the creators of the show are trying to say something deep and meaningful but it comes out stale as 6 month old bread.

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I watched the pilot because it stars Alric the Vampire Diaries and was created by the dude who did Farscape. I didn't think it was that bad, although it was no where near as good as the Following. I haven't watched beyond that point yet, but I might next time I'm watching stuff online.

5. js

js Captain Captain

LOL Cult is the only new show this season that I really like (I gave up on The Following after 3 or 4 pointless episodes).

I think the writing for the "show within the show" is intentionally cheesy, but I am enjoying the framing stories and all the production credit conceits. And Robert Knepper is pure awesomeness as both Billy and the actor who plays him.

I'll be sad when this gets canceled in the next week or two but looking at the ratings, I think I'm the only person still watching it LOL - I just hope they run the rest of the episodes they've shot either in the summer or online.

It never had a chance though - this show was too complicated to live with 4 simultaneous reality level/plotlines/mysteries going on: 1) show within the show 2) production on show within the show 3) fandom for show within the show 4) story about protagonist's brother's disappearance.

They might have been better off introducing the show within the show and the production stuff. Then bring in the fandom getting obsessed with it. Then bring in the brother's disappearance. I think they just shoved so much story in so fast that most viewers weren't going to bother trying to keep up. But I really liked it all. Then again, I've been involved with shows and fandoms from both sides (production and viewer), so it's interesting to me on a lot of levels and I'd have liked to have seen where the story was going. Oh well.

6. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

I like Robert Knepper, but Cult is DOA.

Better luck next show, Bob. Tell your agent to get you something on cable. What are you doing on a CW kiddie show to begin with?

7. Guy Gardener

The guys who made Luck must be infuriated by Cult.

"We killed a couple horses. Boo fucking hoo. This show stays on the air despite racking a significant bloody body count of human being every week by handing out murder instructions to feebs."

(I assume that there was a version of Luck made in the Cult Universe.)

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  8. js

js Captain Captain

No, that would be The Following. :p

9. Guy Gardener

The Cut has a following too.