Happy Chinese New Year!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Captain Picard., Feb 9, 2013.

1. Captain Picard.

Captain Picard. Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Happy Chinese New Year everyone! It is the year of the snake! So what are you going to do to celebrate?

2. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd like a serving of grilled snake but since in my country all serpents are protected species I'll spend the evening in chat with my friends instead :D

3. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

The question is how many snakes are on this board?

4. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've been to two Chinese New Years festivals, one of them yesterday and one at the end of January. We have 9 different festivals over a month in Melbourne, some for two days. You can see photos of some of the food on my blog, the Chinese New Year series just started LOL (two a day).

I have eaten so much papaya salad.. my god I could live on that stuff. I want to make it myself but I cannot find green papayas anywhere. Someone told me they get them in a particular market that I can't be bothered traveling to.

I had this fantastic drink yesterday I haven't seen before, it had some kind of pickled plum and jelly and some sort of seagrass in it, it was sweet and tart and salty, but all very understated, it was WONDERFUL. And I can't figure out what it was. There is something new at each Chinese New Year location. They block off a whole street from traffic and it's all food stalls.

Petted some snakes yesterday too. Watched some Dragon Dancing. Ate a ton of fried tentacles with chillie and some crab. Bought a New Years rice pudding from BreadTop which I buy several of every year because I love them. They are very dense and sticky, glutinous rice. I will take a photo later, they are very good with tea.

So basically I spend Chinese New Year eating.

Happy Year of the Snake!!

5. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I am eating this Chinese New Year traditional glutinous rice pudding. It is delicious, I could eat one of these every day. Last year I bought coconut and taro ones but I think I like the plain ones best.

That is edible gold leaf on top.

[​IMG]

6. rhubarbodendron

good idea :) I didn't have any in ages. There's a small Asian takeaway in my neighbourhood that also sells a very limited range of Asian ingredients and deep-frozen items. I recall having seen these puddings there.

7. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

In parts of London they're having one of the biggest celebrations outside Asia, apparently. Lots of free food and performances, plus of course a parade. I wish I could be there, actually, but my grandmother is visiting so I have to stay home to receive her.

Happy new year to any Chinese posters or guests!

8. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

Happy New Year. Sounds like a dumpling day today.

9. rhubarbodendron

恭贺新禧 :)

10. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

11. rhubarbodendron

不用客气 :) *bows*
    (I'm afraid I read and write Mandarin much better than I speak it... I believe the pronounciation is bùyòngkèqì)