Mortal Kombat: Legacy Episode 1 is Online!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, Apr 12, 2011.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Someone in this thread thought she was past her prime. I think she looks lovely and totally buy her as Sonya Blade. She finally got to kick some ass in episode II although briefly.

2. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Surprised Jax didn't say "Gotcha!" Anybody watch Black Dynamite yet? Freakin hilarious!

3. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"Who the HELL is interruptin' my kung fu?!?"

4. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not completely convinced - at this juncture - that Legacy is as tied in directly to the games (especially the new reboot) as many others, including Admiral Young, seem to be, especially given some of the comments made by Tancheron and Boon in that video feature I linked to in my last post. The possibility certainly exists that the series is indeed meant to tie in directly with the continuity of the games, but some comments that Tancheron makes in that same video also hint at the possibility of him being given the freedom and leeway to put some interesting spins/twists on the characters that would establish Legacy as its own entity separate from the games but clearly drawing on them for inspiration.

5. Admiral_Young

^ He was given the freedom to explore these characters as wanted and this isn't a direct tie-in but it's also not a direct continuation of "Rebirth". I'm sure things will be made clearer by the time we reach episode nine. "Rebirth" is ultimately the "Genesis" of this project, think of it as a spin-off with the same characters and cast and hinting at the same things that were shown in the original short film.

6. DigificWriter

At this stage, the project really could go either way; it could become its own separate entity that is inspired by the games but has no direct correlation to their continuity, or it could become an official prequel to the games as they currently exist (especially the reboot). Most people, including yourself, seem to be convinced that the series' relation to the games is already set in stone.

Chiming in on the subject of a new filmic reboot for the franchise, I personally would rather see them keep making future seasons of Legacy, since I think there's much more potential to be mined in the (web) serial format than there would be in the feature-length film format.

I'm also hoping that WB greenlights a second season of Legacy so that Tancheron can give us Liu Kang and Kung Lao.

7. Admiral_Young

The viewership so far would warrant a green lit second season. It's difficult to gauge what would convince them to do so. Maybe DVD sales? I'm not saying myself that the series is tied-in to the game, I'm simply saying what has been reported on the net and described in the youtube vid. The wikipedia link I posted earlier in the thread also states that this is a game tie-in. I'm not really sure why it makes a difference either way. Kevin is still telling the story that he wants to.

8. DigificWriter

^ If you watch the IGN interview I linked to, Boon never explicitely states that the series is directly tied in to the game, and if such were meant to be the case, I can think of absolutely no reason why he wouldn't have. Comments that Tancheron makes in same video also leave open the possibility that he'll be given the official leeway to make Legacy into an entity that exists separate from the games but is inspired by them.

Edit: the Wikipedia article isn't really the best source to use at this point to support the conclusion that the series' status as a direct or semi-direct tie-in with the new game, since said article is currently seriously lacking in information.

9. Admiral_Young

We're really arguing about nothing at this point you realize that? :) I'm simply enjoying the episodes.

10. DigificWriter

^ It's not really an 'argument' per se, but you're right that the issue we're discussing is really minor and ultimately inconsequential in the grand scheme of things.

I really need to finish watching the first episode and check out the second, but I've been pretty impressed with what I've seen/heard concerning both episodes, and am looking forward to seeing where things go next.

11. Admiral_Young

Debate would probably be a better term lol. I'll be interested in knowing what you think of them after you watch them.

12. DigificWriter

Discussion and debate are, essentially, the same thing, at least as far as I'm concerned. :)

Anybody care to speculate about who the 'they' that Stryker referred to as having 'gotten to Kano before we could' might be? My money is on one of three people: Shang Tsung, Shao Kahn, or Quan Chi.

However, it's hard to say, at this juncture, which of those three I'd prefer, because it really depends on whether or not the series is meant to be explicitely tied in to the new game(s).

13. Admiral_Young

"They" I believe are a reference to whoever is running the underground Mortal Kombat tournament. Jax and Blade have been investigating this for a while as shown in the original short. Kano seems to be their first lead which is why they went in for the arrest and to shut down the illegal weapons manufacturing shipments. I believe Shao Khan was glimpsed or referenced in the short film as being the mastermind behind their investigation. I can't remember now. I could be totally way off base too :)

14. DigificWriter

Kahn and/or Tsung are definitely the more likely of the 3 that I mentioned, but I threw Quan Chi in there as a reference to the fact that we know he's set to appear in the series down the line.

BTW, has anybody seen the Legacy trailer that debuted online prior to the series' premiere? It's somewhat spoiler-filled, but gives you some pretty good insight into the characters that are going to be featured. I'm especially intrigued to see what Tancheron does with Mileena, since her part in the trailer is very brief but very intriguing.

15. Admiral_Young

I've not seen it or else would have posted it already. I did read about it though.

16. DigificWriter

Here's a link to the trailer.

17. Admiral_Young

That was an awesome trailer. We've still got a long way to go :) If the pattern remains each episode should be uploaded online either Monday or Tuesday.

18. DigificWriter

Okay, I have to retract what I said about Ed Boon and the series being tied in directly to the game(s); I just watched a Behind the Scenes featurette in which Boon does explicitely refer to Legacy as being tied in to the game(s).

That doesn't lessen my interest in the series, though, by any means.

19. Admiral_Young

20. DigificWriter

Knowing that Legacy is tied in with the game(s) really makes me wish I had a PS3 and could buy the new game so that I could compare/contrast the characters' involvement in the story with Legacy as it airs.

Does anyone have a 'wish list' for characters whom they'd like to see get their origins explored if Tancheroen is able to do a second season of Legacy (besides Kung Lao and Liu Kang)?