MLB Offseason 2012

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Mr. Laser Beam, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Their payroll stands at 16 million right now. :lol:

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  2. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Jeffrey Loria is a scumbag con artist.

3. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Yyyyep. Don't forget that in addition to scamming Miami-Dade County out of more than 80 percent of the construction cost of Marlins Park (the city and county forked out more than $500 million of the $630 million price tag, and the 40-year bonds issued to cover the costs will cost them more than $2 billion when all is said and done), the City of Miami actually pays the taxes on the parking lots and also forks out an annual maintenance fee to the Marlins. And yet somehow everyone took Loria at his word that he'd invest in the team even though he had been pocketing the team's profits for years.

He's a goddamned criminal (don't forget the shell game he, Selig and John Henry pulled to get Henry owning the Red Sox, Loria owning the Marlins and the Expos getting nuked from existence).

Oh, I forgot: Ken Rosenthal is saying that Nolasco may be the next one out of town, and Stanton has taken to Twitter and telling the world he is pissed. He'll be stuck there for a while, though; I can't imagine Loria wanting to trade Stanton until he reaches his big arbitration paydays.

4. Danny99

Danny99 Vice Admiral Admiral

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/11/1...se-reyes-in-monster-trade-with-marlins-report

I'd like to thank the Miami Marlins for making us a contender almost immediately, taking the stupid Yunel Escobar (maybe where he can piss off the Miami Latino community by writing stupid things in Spanish in eye black) taking Henderson Alvarez, who is a bordering on being a flop pretty quickly.

I think this immediately helps a lot of the concerns, especially pitching, where we now have four starting pitchers in Romero, Morrow, Buerhle, and Johnson.

Well done Jays.

5. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

I thought that the Marlins needed to win a World Series before they had this kind of fire sale.

6. Timby

Never underestimate the villainy of one Jeffrey H. Loria, who is well-used to the pastime of taking a runny shit all over the city in which his team is based.

Nolasco / Stanton to Baltimore rumors are starting to heat up, too.

7. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Congrats to Bob Melvin for winning AL Coach of the Year. Very well deserved, even though Sholwalter would have been well deserved too. This is a year where I wish they just gave the award to both of them, since they were almost mirror images of each other.

Next up, Cy Young, and then Thursday I hope that MVP comes to San Francisco. Can't wait till that announcement.

8. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

This is a great article from SI.com. Really a head scratcher of a deal

Link

9. Timby

Oh, God, an "add up the WARs to see if it makes sense" article. :barf:

This is a trade that makes a lot of sense for the Jays, and I have to give a ton of credit to AA, whom I bag on quite a bit -- it's kind of refreshing to see him make a trade that isn't "get another AAAA reliever." The timing makes perfect sense, as the AL East has never been more winnable in our lifetimes than it will be in 2013. The Yankees are getting old and are almost assuredly losing Swisher and Soriano, the Red Sox pulled a Marshall University, the O's won on magic that will disappear (seriously, that team is going to regress so much, they scraped into the playoffs on smoke and mirrors), and the Rays are always hamstrung by the budget issues that come from drawing like 300 fans a game. The timing is right for the Jays to go all-in, considering this is the best chance they'll have to get Joey Bats into the playoffs.

Really, this all becomes easier to understand when you realize that the only reason Loria owns a baseball team is to fund his art purchasing, primarily through pocketing revenue sharing dollars (and every MLB team will receive an additional $25 million per year, with no restrictions on how / if it's spent, beginning in 2014 as a result of the new television deal). He's essentially Max Bialystock.

10. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Cy Young Award winners:

AL - David Price
    NL - R.A. Dickey :techman:

11. Tom Hendricks

I'm happy for RA Dikey, one of a few bright spot on the Mets this year.

12. Timby

Who the fuck cast a first-place ballot for Fernando fucking Rodney?

13. Tom Hendricks

When I saw that, I too was like WTF.

14. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

Good for Dickey, it's a nice story. And yeah, after the post All Star Break nosedive, R.A. Dickey pitching night was about the only reason to tune in.

This team frustrates the hell out of me. There are nights when you think, hey, these homegrown kids aren't bad, if they add a bat here and an arm there, they could contend. Then there are nights when you come to the sobering revelation that they will never win a title or even a division with Ike Davis, Daniel Murphy, Lucas Duda, et al.

Then you get the utter slapdickery of ownership. They're still hamstrung by the Madoff stuff, and they're getting into this delightful habit of paying players to go away. (Bay, Castillo, Perez, and oh yeah isn't Bobby Bonilla on the payroll until June of 2634)

Fuck my life. My baseball team should have everything working in its favor as a large market team with a cable sports network in a sport that's inequitably set up. Yet they still manage to suck 100 feet of dude whistle. My football team has lost 3 games by a combined 4 points and their defense couldn't stop the Cupcake State University, much less a decent NFL team. Hell, they couldn't stop a bad NFL team last week. Just do me a favor and get blown out in the first playoff game like you did against Baltimore a few years ago when it was 14-0 before I even got home with the pizza instead of getting my hopes up before another last minute Super Bowl nutpunch.

OK, I think I'm good.

15. Timby

USA Today is reporting that the Marlins / Blue Jays trade/fire sale/shit on the city of Miami is going under review by the commissioner's office. Selig is reportedly pissed.

16. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Miguel Cabrera voted MVP with 22 out of 28 first place votes. I think Mike Trout objectively had the better season, but I'm fine with this because Cabrera made the playoffs and made history. I do think they are rewarding hitting over base running and defense (not that Trout was a slouch at bat), but because of the particular accomplishments he got, I'm fine with Cabrera.

17. RevDMV

RevDMV Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

MVPosey

18. Timby

The Angels had more wins than the Tigers, for what it's worth. In any event, Cabrera shouldn't win the MVP award just because he had the fortune to play on a team that fell ass-backwards into the playoffs because the Sox completely shit the bed. Trout had a season for the ages -- his best comparison is Mickey Mantle, for heaven's sake.

There's also the little thing about the Triple Crown being kind of meaningless, because it just means that Cabrera was lucky enough to come up to bat when the goobers in front of him had gotten on base. Aggregate RBI totals aren't a metric of a player's talent in the slightest.

To be fair, I'd be less upset if it were, like, 15 - 13 in favor of Cabrera. The landslide is just ridiculous and speaks to how moronic a good portion of the BBWAA is.

Motherfucker gonna get paid soon.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
  19. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Most of the BBWAA who didn't vote for Trout probably went into it thinking "he needs to prove himself first." It's idiotic how often these people take past performance into account when the awards are supposed to be for one season alone.

20. Timby

Most of the BBWAA is still pissed off that people like Bill James and Nate Silver introduced the focus on statistics that actually matter, meaning they couldn't just look at the standard hits/home runs/RBI line as a metric of quality anymore. They're still tied to their old-school thinking -- and even the ones who have embraced advanced statistical analysis are fucking lazy and just operate under the system of "add up the WARs."

That RBI is considered a valuable and meaningful metric to assess a player's performance in 2012 is fucking absurd.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.