Quinto's Spock is too emotional

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Ben Maxwell, Nov 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ben Maxwell

Ben Maxwell Ensign

Just Like Nimoy's
    :devil:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Agenda

Agenda Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If you go by emotional states per minutes on the screen then Quinto's Spock is an emotional basket case by comparison.

3. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

He's younger. He's in love. Whaddaya gonna do.

4. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

nuSpock is too emotional for my tastes.
    But thats how Abrams has interpreted the character so what can you do?

When PrimeSpock showed emotion it was like a big bonus for me. I just expect it out of nuSpock. That doesn't make nuSpock a bad character just a little different from the original.
    I think nuKirk is a bit of a jerk as was PrimeKirk. But I really like Quinto's Spock - not as much as the original of course.

5. teacake

I like Quinto's Spock better.

6. Commishsleer

Are you talking about looks or character?

Because either way PrimeSpock is 10 127.67834863 times better than nuSpock (or anyone else).:p

7. teacake

Yeah I'm talking about the whole package. I can't help it, he just moves me in mysterious ways.

8. borgboy

borgboy Commodore Commodore

I'm watching season on of TOS now, and I think Spock shows emotions in very subtle ways here and there.
    NuSpock in the movies has had huge emotion events to react to. Losing his mother, the Vulcan home world, an early reconciliation with Sarek, being in love with Uhura, Kirk's near death...also, in the format of movies vs tv series, things have to move quickly, there's no time to develop things slowly the way a tv series could.
    I would speculate that his reconciliation with Sarek after their devestating losses freed him up to be more true to himself and not repress his human emotions as severely as he did originally. Uhura probably helps bring these qualities out in them too.
    I've loved Quinto's Spock, I have no issues with his characterization or growth.

9. teacake

Also Prime Spock encourages him to go with his heart! So if he took this advice he is possibly going to be going in a different direction than Prime Spock was trying to in TOS.

T'Pol didn't take that advice from her elderly self and look where it got her. Fiddling with Archer's tie.

10. borgboy

True, Prime Spock was there to advise NuSpock and be a positive role model for him.

11. teacake

I love how Nimoy plays Prime Spock, you can see the TOS Spock we knew and loved as a very chilled out and wise dude.

12. Commishsleer

Look I'll admit that when Quinto Spock isn't having his world destroyed, or Kirk killed or Carol Marcus taking his job he's less emotional than PrimeSpock.
    But he's doing that for considerable minutes in the two movies and its way over the top compared to the subtle ways PrimeSpock does in TOS or in the movies. I contend that 90% of PrimeSpock's show of emotion relate to Kirk in danger or Kirk's disapproval (father-figure issues)
    And who wants a truly emotionless Vulcan. They're boring. Look I liked Tuvok and felt sorry for T'Pol but I couldn't really relate to them because really they were more Vulcan-like than either Spock.

13. borgboy

I never ever thought of Kirk as being a father figure to Spock. That's an interesting but unusual interpretation.
    It makes sense for Spock to be more emotional than other Vulcans since he is half human.
    CommishSleer I love your avatar! Servalan is so awesome.

14. teacake

Really I love all Spocks.

Except maybe that scrawny teenage one in The Search for Spock.

15. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Only because of his mother influence on his upbringing, I would think. Vulcan emotional control is learned and not genetic. Vulcan children aren't all that different than human ones, as seen in TAS and ST09.

16. teacake

And dawwww.... little non-canon deleted Spock I love him too!

[​IMG]

I wonder if that was a real baby.

Imagine if you could grow up and say, "I played Spock in a Star Trek movie".

17. Commishsleer

I wish we could have some baddass villainess in Star Trek who is prepared to use men for her evil purposes and then toss them aside when she's used them all up like Servalan.:lol:

Lets hope she's in the new interpretation of Blake's 7.

The young boy Spock in ST09 was sooooo cute

18. teacake

Yes he was. He looked like young Spock to me, unlike young Kirk who I thought looked terrible.

19. borgboy

I read that the new B7 remake wasn't happening after all. Have you heard any of the B7 new audio plays and dramatic readings Big Finish is doing with the original cast? They're really good, and Servalan gets a more evil moment than ever in a recent one.
    The baby looks real to me.
    A seductive Romulan commander who tries to steal Spock away from Kirk, I mean Uhura, could be a lot of fun. I'd make her be a sexy older woman, and she could be part of a story with the Romulans. Maybe the Romulans want to integrate the surviving Vulcans into their race.

20. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Remember the first Christopher Reeve Superman film? Little Kal-El steps out of the crater from his spaceship and displays full frontal nudity. Everyone in the world has seen his dingus. He has to live with that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.