Microsoft planning complete reversal of DRM policy for Xbox One

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by firehawk12, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

Gears of Wars Cliff Bleszinski throwing his toys out of his pram over MS u-turn on DRM.

http://www.computerandvideogames.co...and-not-the-internet-whining-says-bleszinski/

Oh dear. :lol:

2. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't consider myself a fanboy. I own systems from Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft. I love that we have three companies with different ideas for the video game industry competing with one another to prevent stagnation. I don't care who "wins" or "loses" as long as everyone is profitable enough to stay in the indsutry. It's a great time to be a gamer.

This does not apply to the Xbox One.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGwjp07oO8U[/yt]

3. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Agree 100%. I don't trust them any more and wouldn't touch the X1 with a 10-meter cattle prod. To be fair, the Kinnect always being on was my greatest issue personally. And even if they do say that these other things have been "fixed", I don't think I will believe them.

I will stick w/ my 360 for as long as titles are still being made for it. Maybe this will also give me the motivation to upgrade my 8-year old PC and go back to that flavor of gaming. Then again, if people start developing with the insipid abortion that is Windows 8 as the minimum OS requirement, I will be SOL there too, as I will NEVER upgrade away from Win7 at this point. Either way, I think console gaming will be dead for me in the next year or so, and probably for a lot of other people.

4. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

5. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Play Grand Theft Auto yet? :p

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdHG5-K8E1E[/yt]

6. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I agree. What sounds good on paper doesn't always work great in practice. They probably thought they had the perfect setup in place where in reality it was very unpractical. The reality check was when Sony announced the PS4 and the critical backlash surrounding the XBone.

And I think CliffyB needs to learn about something called humility. You should never call "future potential customers" of your product "whiners". People have a right to express how they feel. It's a product that will be used for the next 5-8 years. They have a right to voice their concerns and objections with something that will be used so often. Calling people "whiners" only serves to show how much you care about your customers, and makes you sound immature. Whatever happened to the customer being always right? You don't bite the hand that feeds you.

And lastly, there's something called respect. It's a two-way street. You can't expect people to respect you if you yourself don't respect your customers.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
  7. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

:guffaw:

You are too funny!

No shit a multi-billion dollar company wants your money, that's why they are making a new Xbox.

And Sony never tried to fuck with you? They knowing made PS2s with a defective part because they figured if it breaks you have to buy a new one. They were filed like 26 cents for it and won in the end.

All companies will fuck with you if it would make them a buck. These are companies, they are not your friend.

I'm amazed MS did it so quickly, but they had to stop the bleeding.

8. Haggis and tatties

Poor Major Nelson. lol
    [​IMG]

9. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

I know all major companies are blood sucking swines but Sony seems like the lesser asshole and therefore for not bending me over and trying to shaft me, they get my custom.

BTW my PS2 worked just fine full stop ty, never had to replace it.

10. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They did what now?

11. Magellan

Magellan Commander Red Shirt

I agree Im not letting MS have that info about me, and not being able to disconnect it is still a deal breaker. Backing out of the DRM was a good idea(obviously their research told them so) but what does the XBone have that the PS4 doesnt? Now that the consumer has been primed to prefer Sony's machine what does MS have to lure them back? $100 more expensive, creepy camera and inferior specs?

Maybe people still love Halo and Gears that much but after a decade I thought we were getting kind of bored with those....

12. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

What's the name again of that MS representative who caused a twitter backlash concerning the development of the new console a few months ago? (Not Dan Mattrick). He was a complete asshole but I can't remember his name.

13. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Phil Harrison? Interesting thing is, he was in charge of the PS3 launch, and then later went to work for MS.

14. Haggis and tatties

Adam "Deal with it" Orth.

15. throwback

throwback Captain Captain

After reading of Microsoft's decision, I was tempted to switch my pre-order from PS4 to XBOX One. However, when I consider what kind of machine I am getting and what I need as a consumer, I decided to stay with my original decision. I want a console that plays games, not a console that does other things than plays games.

16. -Brett-

-Brett- Vice Admiral Admiral

Wow. I'm suddenly very glad that I didn't buy Judgment.

17. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Huh? Pretty sure they both play games AND do other things.

18. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

Think his point is the Xbox is being sold on being an Entertainment box first, games box second.

19. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Dear god, all the complaining from the Xbox fanboys through this whole thing has been hilarious! :lol:

20. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The latest rumour about the Xbox One is pretty damning for MS if true (emphasis mine):

If true, the family sharing feature was a glorified demo. There's still details missing, but it seems that publishers were forcing MS to limit the number of times you could use the service, and with a maximum 1-hour limit of play I doubt this feature would have allowed players to play games to completion.

If this rumour is true, it would explain MS's decision to remove the DRM so soon after E3. The one thing MS had going for them was the family sharing service, Xbox fanboys were using it to defend the system, and if MS had revealed that all it was was a glorified demo then it would have seemed like a betrayal of their most loyal supporters. Since MS were coming under increasing pressure during E3 to give details on the family sharing system, they couldn't have hidden its true nature for much longer and instead decided to abandon the whole DRM scheme.

If MS really were trying to pass off this system as a replacement for sharing physical discs, that's really sleazy.