star trek 3 without jjabrams

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by tmosler, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

None of them gets a vote that matters. Period, full stop.

2. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Er, why?

3. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Because a group a "fans" want Star Trek to remain something only a small and shrinking fanbase enjoys until it eventually dies out.

4. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Commander Red Shirt

Probably he just wants it to be something he likes.

5. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

More like a vocal minority. :)

The folks who vote at fan websites are only a tiny sliver of the moviegoing audience.

6. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

That's not Abrams's fault.

7. Admiral Buzzkill

That's kind of too bad, since it is already something a great many other people like instead. :cool:

8. Konata Izumi

He seems to dislike his contribution most.

9. Admiral Buzzkill

And again, as long as Abrams is pleasing a mass audience that's just too bad for folks who dislike him.

10. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

Hmm so between now and 2016 (Trek's 50th anniversary) JJ is supposed to direct and produce, Star Wars VII, Star Trek XIII, and Mission Impossible 5, and any other movie and TV projects he aspires to complete....

The man is an artist. Not a director for hire. He'll give 2 years to Star Wars, take a break , and maybe focus on other projects. Paramount will likely ask JJ to be a consulting producer for Star Trek XIII. Since JJ dragged his feet about even saying he would commit to Trek sequel back in 2011 while promoting Super 8. However I think Paramount will go a different route and choose another director to helm Trek. It'll be like the Bond franchise almost.

11. Magellan

Magellan Commander Red Shirt

Even for fans of new Star Trek I'm not sure losing JJ is going to be all that devastating. For the most part I think changing directors can keep a movie series fresh. It's not like this is his baby and we can't even imagine anyone else making a good Star Trek movie. We've had good ones by other directors before, no reason we wont have more after him.

12. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I hear he might also be taking over as Pope and rebooting the Catholic church now that Benedict XVI is stepping down.

13. heavy lids

heavy lids Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Hahahahaha.

14. Dix

Dix Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

It's worse. A bunch of ungifted dilettantes are in charge.

I guess they don't want to wait for the King of Lens Flares to finish with all those other projects.

Why not?

That worn out false choice again.

The man is a con artist.

Exactly.

15. Admiral Buzzkill

No. Nothing would be worse than that.

In the meantime, most of us are enjoying the new Star Trek.

And Abrams is not going to "take a break" after the Star Wars movie.

16. Konata Izumi

Why couldn't that happen?

With all respect to him as an artist, I hope he's more of a director for hire in Star Wars - do the technical stuff great but leave the blobby look to Star Trek. Here it was fresh, in Star Wars it'd be doing it wrong.

...not that I can remember anything about them, but it's edgy and post-TOS Trek's smooth, aren't they? Maybe the prequels are more blobby though. Still different from Trek.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  17. anh165

anh165 Commander Red Shirt

Dix, stop being so selfish with this call for tired rehashed cheese trek, the needs of the many easily outweigh yours buddy.

There is a huge back catalogue of berman-era nelix cheese fest trek you can loop over and over.

18. Konata Izumi

^Can't there be different new type of Trek? Also he's got to tell someone how it's ruined to him. Otherwise things would progress like American Psycho:eek:

19. yousirname

yousirname Commander Red Shirt

I feel like Abrams' presence or absence as director of the third film is largely irrelevant. Given the success of ST09 and assuming the success of STID, Paramount aren't apt to sign off on some massive tonal or stylistic shift for the third film - don't mess with success and all that. Any incoming director would presumably be required to stay within shouting distance of Abrams' treatment of the material.

20. anh165

anh165 Commander Red Shirt

The original 6 movies had different directors, yet the styling and tempo of storyline seemed to carry through all of them.

All though I think ST V had very much lead character self-indulgence in it not dissimilar to what you'd find in Insurrection and Nemesis.