Tony Gilroy will direct THE BOURNE LEGACY

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by JacksonArcher, Oct 4, 2010.

1. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

One of the delights of TBI was that Damon as action hero was so unexpected. This preppy looking (though unconventionally handsome) guy kicking ass like a classic action hero. I wouldn't have said he was in the mould of Jason Statham looks-wise though.

Either way, I don't see the point in casting another Damon clone for TBL. I can see why they want to go for another young actor, that's been proven to work financially and critically and, within the movie, that would fit the mould for the people recruited by Treadstone. But I wouldn't have a problem with someone like Franco, just because he doesn't look like a traditional action man. I want the mould to be broken again.

2. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree with Captaindemotion. I remember people having a lot of doubt in Matt Damon as an action hero pre-The Bourne Identity. In fact, I remember watching the movie in the theater and I was joking around with the couple sitting next to me about Matt Damon's plausibility as an action hero. The film's success surprised a lot of people.

In that sense, I would much rather see a talented young actor in the vein of Matt Damon for the next film over someone conventional like Jason Statham. I think Franco would fit that bill and I hope we see someone similar to Damon pre-Bourne Identity.

3. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not saying they should try to "clone Damon" or try to find a Statham lookalike. I'm only saying that, imho, the lead actor should have a vaguely rough look, which in most cases means not being conventionally pretty, which Franco is. ;)

4. Captaindemotion

Well, to each their own but I don't think being pretty makes him any less convincing as an action hero. Pierce Brosnan is pretty but made a good 007 (if not as good as Craig), Keanu Reeve's best performances were in Speed, Point Break and The Matrix while Johnny Depp has buckled his swash most manfully in the Pirates movies.

5. Gaith

A) I'd call Brosnan handsome, no doubt at all, but not "pretty" a la Orlando Bloom or Depp, and B) none of the movies you just cited are as gritty and "realistic" as the Bourne films. ;)

6. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'd say the second two Bourne films stopped being realistic when they became nonstop action with Matt Damon playing the Terminator.

7. Gaith

Hence my use of quotation marks. :rolleyes: ;)

8. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I suppose if Franco is the type of actor they're pursuing that eliminates the possibility of a female lead? A shame.

9. JacksonArcher

Conan O'Brien mentioned The Bourne Legacy on his show tonight, and when he revealed to the audience that Universal was making a fourth Bourne movie without Matt Damon, the audience booed. He then proceeded with his joke, saying the film's title will end up being The Bourne Straight to DVD. :lol:

While the audience booing was likely intentional to get the punchline more "oompth", I honestly think that's going to be the general reaction of regular audiences when they get wind that Matt Damon won't be returning for The Bourne Legacy, no matter how good the film is.

It's a little tragic, because Tony Gilroy will likely make a very good film, but he has to face a likely very pessimistic and dismissive crowd who will automatically dismiss the film the moment they hear Matt Damon won't be in it. The film is going to face such an uphill battle that a part of me doesn't even think it's worthwhile, but I hope the film is good and I hope the general audience warms up to the film consequently.

10. Gaith

Yeesh, no. Salt notwithstanding, a ripped martial arts expert will beat down a similarly knowledgeable ripped gal 95% of the time. Female "assets" wouldn't at all fit into the series' world.

11. JacksonArcher

According to IGN a bunch of other hot young names are being bandied about for The Bourne Legacy including Chris Evans (Fantastic Four), Ryan Gosling (Half-Nelson), Tom Hardy (Inception), James McAvoy (Wanted), and Chris Pine (Star Trek).

The first thought that occurred to me is that whoever replaces Damon has an uphill battle to face. First of all, replacing Damon period is going to be difficult, not to mention carrying an action franchise that is in its fourth installment, but also having to deal with the general audience's reaction over a new actor taking over the franchise. Would any legitimate actor of worth want to step into such a complicated and potentially risky situation? Certainly all of the actors mentioned above are pretty decent actors, some that come from mostly dramatic backgrounds.

I hope that Universal can secure an actor on the caliber of Damon, but that's going to be difficult. Accepting the role automatically comes with some baggage, however I guess not as much as if you'd be literally replacing Damon as Jason Bourne. I guess playing a new character gives some leeway for an actor to do their own thing, but it's still a tough situation going into. I just hope whoever they eventually find to replace Damon is utmost and foremost a quality actor.

12. Gaith

Gosling might be okay, but I'd most like to see them try something a bit different, ethnicity-wise... a young black, Middle Eastern or Indian guy... someone who, unlike DiCaprio in Body of Lies, really could blend in in today's worst hot spots.

13. JacksonArcher

That could be interesting, but I don't see that happening unfortunately.

14. Captaindemotion

Not exactly thinking outside the box, in terms of franchise appeal, are they? An ex-Fantastic Fourth, current Captain America, a Star Trekker (possible Jack Ryan too), a Wanted X-Man and a Mad Max. All well and tried stars. Only Gosling would represent any sort of departure, the way Damon did in TBI.

I also like the suggestion of an ethnic minority lead; what about Gael Garcia Bernal, who was at one stage up for the villain role in TBU?

15. JacksonArcher

James Franco's name appeals to me the most honestly.

16. Captaindemotion

^ Given the acclaim he's getting for playing a man WHO CUTS HIS OWN ARM TO ESCAPE BEING TRAPPED UNDER ROCKS(!!!!!!!!!), I don't think he'll have any difficulties convincing as a gritty action hero.

17. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

There's more of a direction they could take a female protagonist than all that silliness. But they're obviously going for an attractive male in his 30s, so either way, it's out.

18. Captaindemotion

I wonder, half seriously, half facetiously, if this movie is a success, will it inspire other producers to continue franchises without the leads. Could you have a 'James Bond' movie centring on 001 -6 or 008/9? A 24 movie featuring another branch of CTU and a different lead? A movie set in Gotham, but focussing on cops (or even Nightwing?!). The likes of Indiana Jones or Jack Ryan are already set up to take this sort of step - Mutt Jones and John Clark respectively.

Still, I can't help but think of how the sequel to xXx went, when they replaced Vin Diesel with Ice Cube ...

19. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I think a James Bond movie without the lead is unlikely. For that franchise, recasting has ceased to be a problem, and will continue to be the norm.

For Jack Ryan, the Rainbow Six route is already there to be exploited, if the producers want to.

But I have serious doubts as to whether this film will succeed without Matt Damon.

20. Captaindemotion

^ I agree - as I say, my question was half facetious.