More on Charlie X: Rec Room scene, Spock's lyre, Uhura's songs, gym

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Captain Al, Jul 2, 2009.

1. Captain Al

Captain Al Commander Red Shirt

Charlie X is a standout episode not only for its story and writing, but for the fact that it's one of the scant few episodes where we see how some of the crew spends its leisure time. Later series, i.e. TNG, show the crew in Ten Forward, or in the Holodeck, etc., but in TOS, we rarely got a glimpse of the crews' lives outside of their work routine.

So, in Charlie X, we got to see some of the crew hanging out in the rec room, which I've always thought was kind of cool. We also saw Kirk and Spock play chess, which IIRC, happened only a few times in the series.

in Charlie X, we see an interesting insight to Spock's character: he plays a Vulcan lyre instrument in his leisure time. (And, IIRC, this happens only one other time in the series, doesn't it? Didn't he also do this in The Way to Eden?)

Spock chose to be in the rec room and mingle with the other crew rather than in the isolation of his quarters. He is the First Officer of the Enterprise, yet there he is, acting just like one of the guys, hangin' with the crew. And playing his lyre brings him obvious contentment.

What I'm wondering about is others' reactions to this scene. Is it normal for Spock to mingle with the crew in the rec room? And was he insulated when Uhura started singing, or did he not mind it at all? I watched CX last night and could not tell from his reactions. As she continued to sing, he accompanied her--whether he was playing backup to her, or if she was singing to his melody, I couldn't tell--and he was smiling to himself. Was his emotional side reacting to this? Or was it simply so early in the series that the producers hadn't nailed down Spock's character just yet?

Secondly, would you have wanted to see more rec room scenes, provided they contributed to the story? I believe it made the environment of the Enterprise more human-like, rather than so static.

Thirdly, when Kirk was at the gym, he interacted with "Sam." Do the crewmembers lose the formality of rank titles when the uniforms come off? Kirk seemed to know Sam very well, and never referred to him as Lieutenant Smith, just "Sam." I almost expected Sam to call Kirk "Jim."

2. Hambone

Hambone Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Re: More on Charlie X: Rec Room scene, Spock's lyre, Uhura's songs, g

He played it in "Amok Time", just before he smashes the monitor in his quarters.

I don't think he was "insulted", I just think we were supposed to get the impression that Uhura stepped on Spock's chorus (a jazz musician will understand what I'm saying...when you're playing a solo, it's considered poor etiquette to "join in") and it was a common occurance. In early episodes it wasn't unusual to see Spock smiling.

There was a cut scene from 'Elaan of Troyius" that showed just that; Spock practicing his lyre in the Arboretum, bragging about how he captured second place in the All-Vulcan music competition (his father took first!). Also, the rec room scene from "Conscience of the King" has Uhura playing the lyre and singing.

Since we don't know anything about "Sam", you could speculate on all sorts of reasons for their apparent familiarity. When I was in the Army, one of my best friends (who was at one time my college roomate)eventually rose to the rank of CW4 and commanded our unit; after he got his commission I never referred to him by name, unless we were off-duty. That could be the case with Kirk and "Sam".

3. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Sam gets the surname "Fuller" in the novel trilogy, Errand of Vengeance, by Kevin Ryan. He's a significant character in the books, which take up the action straight after "Charlie X".

Fuller's father, Michael, is a major player in the sequel trilogy, Errand of Fury.

4. Rush Limborg

Rush Limborg Vice Admiral Admiral

On the subject of the "rec-room" scene, anyone notice the exchange between Uhura and Rand just before Uhura does the song?

As Spock starts the music, the two ladies give a silent giggle. Rand looks as if an idea just hit her, and she grins mischeviously and cocks her head in Spock direction. Uhura slowly nods, winks, and begins her song.

As the crew all share the joke at the Vulcan's expense, Rand keeps her gaze focused on Spock, at one point biting her lower lip in anticipation.

And of course, when Uhura finishes, Rand calls for an encore!

Hmm...conspiracy, anyone?

5. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Interesting. Conversely, in the James Blish adaptation, Sam is Sam Ellis.

6. Rush Limborg

^Yeah, but the Blish Books should probably taken with a BIG chunk o' salt, considering how they contradict practically every single episode of The Original Series...:p

7. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

...Of course, it's also possible that Sam was a civilian brought aboard for his unparalleled skill in practicing and/or teaching martial arts...

Timo Saloniemi

8. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm glad you brought this episode up in this respect. I also noticed a few of the subtleties going on... very revealing of crew leisure time and interaction, especially this bit with Uhura and Rand on Spock. The edited version bypassed most of it and other really great material... it wasn't until many years later seeing the remastered versions with all the edits put back in that I found so many of the episodes "come to life". This is one of them. It was a shame we didn't see more of this "real" side of the crew.

9. marylizz

marylizz Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

It is a bit of a joy to see them acting like regular people. It's something I think we all would have liked to see more of. I personally never liked the music bit, I found it to be a bit contrived, but overall the ep was a unique one, and quite entertaining.
    I like to think that Spock enjoys the company of the crew, though whether he'd admit it is questionable. There's only so much distance one can keep between oneself and coworkers in close quarters for five years. Plus, Uhura's so very charming and personable.
    :) Great ep, thanks for putting it in the spotlight.

10. The Boy Who Cried Worf

The Boy Who Cried Worf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Really good episode, but that one scene creeps me out so much I still can't watch it to this day. You know what I am talking about.

11. Kagan

Kagan Commodore Commodore

But weren't Blish's adaptations based upon actual script drafts that he was given to work from?

12. seigezunt

seigezunt Vice Admiral Admiral

the .... face?

13. Rush Limborg

Yeah--early drafts, many of them.

Still...you'd think he'd have the good sense to WATCH the episodes as they came out....

14. number6

number6 Vice Admiral

Why? These are novelizations of the episodes. There's no reason to assume that they have to mimic the episode in exact detail. Alan Dean Foster's novelizations of the animated show didn't either.

15. The Boy Who Cried Worf

The Boy Who Cried Worf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes, or I should say the lack of one.

16. Biggshow

Biggshow Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, I gotta say, when I was a kid I thought that was one of the creepiest things I'd ever see. In a way, it still is.

17. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've always loved Spock and Uhura's song. The lyre, the melody with broad intervals, Nichols' singing....they all have that unique 1960s' era feel for the eeriness of outer space and the future.

Doug

18. Rush Limborg

"Oh, on the Starship Enterprise,
    There's someone who's in Satan's guise
    Who's devil ears and devil eyes
    Could rip your heart from you....

At first, his look could hypnotize,
    And then his touch could barbarize.
    His alien love...could victimize...
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND RIP YOUR HEART FROM YOU!

And that's why female as-tro-nauts--
    Oh, ve-ry fe-male as-tro-nauts--
    Wait terrified and o-ver-rought--
    TO FIND OUT WHAT HE'LL DO!

Oh, girrrrrls in space be war...Y
    Be war...Y, be war...y!
    Girrrrrls in space be war...Y....
    We know not what he'll...dooooooooooooooooo...."

19. Anticitizen

Anticitizen Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Heh, it almost reads like a parody of the Goldfinger theme.

Pretty girls, beware of his heart of gooooold...
    This heart is cooooold!

20. Shatmandu

Shatmandu Vice Admiral Admiral

That song, and her singing of it, remind me of a high school play where the lead female thinks she's talented.

Abso-friggin'-lutely terrible. If Satan farts, it sounds like that.

Joe, not a fan