Star Trek Into Darkness out on Blu-ray/DVD September 10th [spoilers]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Enterprise is Great, Jul 10, 2013.

1. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

Re: Star Trek Into Darkness out on Blu-ray/DVD September 10th [spoiler

No, it's a very long way from an "abysmal" release in terms of AV quality. Truly not wishing to be boastful at all here, but as a home cinema enthusiast of many decades, I do spend a lot of money on my set-up - it's a passion and major hobby.

If you want to see something that "looks like shit", watch a DVD on a extremely large screen. The TUC Blu blows the DVD version away with consummate ease - I'll take the slightly over zealous DNR over DVD any day thank you very much.

2. Aatrek

Aatrek Rear Admiral

If not "abysmal", then I guess "terrible" will have to suffice.

3. LOKAI of CHERON

No, not "terrible" either. "Average" or "mediocre" is far more suitable terminology.

Whatever, I'm sure I'll get vociferously shouted down by those who want to proclaim how dreadful and awful the TUC Blu-ray transfer is. Indeed, the sometimes laughable and hysterical overreactions to the disc have been around since release date. Hey-ho.

4. Aatrek

Aatrek Rear Admiral

We can see bits of lint on Beverly Crusher's medical coat on the TNG Blu-rays. Leonard Nimoy looks like a melting candle on that screenshot. I'm not trying to stir up a big argument, but it's not a good picture.

5. LOKAI of CHERON

I'm not up for an argument either - I just don't agree with you. I've watched the TUC BD "in motion" many times, and it's a big upgrade on the DVD.

I could grab a load of SD DVD screenshots and rip them to pieces, but it'll just turn into a pissing contest - pointless. You see the transfer as "terrible" - OK, fine. I think that's an extremely inaccurate description of the AV quality. No bad feelings intended.

6. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Single frame screen captures can often make even the best of Blu-rays look less than pristine and are rather useless in most situations in determining PQ. Viewing something in motion, as it was intended, is a better way to judge PQ. And TUC has nothing on some truly awful releases (early BD of Predator comes to mind).

The Trek BDs (not including the Abrams films) are not stellar releases in PQ by any stretch, but they are no worse than average overall. But, hey, nitpickers exist in all areas and some of the most hysterical debates that Trek fans can have are easily matched by some found at A/V enthusiast sites (several of which I am a member). And it goes even further in debates about AQ.

Terrible vs average, to be fair, also depends on what one has seen. If the bulk of one's viewing is of recent releases where BDs are made from the digital interpositive directly, then something that is less than pristine may indeed look "terrible". But if one has sampled BDs of films from many different eras, in many different states of "repair", then a lot of what is often called "terrible" becomes "average". This is not to say that efforts shouldn't be made to do better, but it is often a cost vs. potential sales issue (look up articles by Robert A. Harris--his work is the gold standard on this topic--he was instrumental in making the Lawrence of Arabia BD release into the outstanding example of how great hi-def can be, for example).

7. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I hate the TUC Blu transfer too. It's so ugly, in my opinion.

8. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

Put this in perspective. I only got into blue-ray recently. I got the Star Trek 2 combo pack on DVD for a song (same basic cover design as the blue-ray release) and the blue was there as well.. it was all over the place. It wasn't just the blue-ray, it was the color timing of the remastered release. Everything, from the ships to the planetoid, look blue, and washed out. Fixing the settings on my TV or player aren't the issue.

9. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Have to agree with, LOKAI of CHERON here.

The film isn't as crisp as the Abramsverse films on Blu-ray, but it looks ten times better than the DVD version.

10. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

Well I guess we have to agree to disagree here re: TOS movie blurays. TUC in particular is utterly totally abysmal quality to the power of 10 IMHO. It is a shocking release by Paramount (TOS movies) because they couldn't spend a small bit of money on rescanning it. You/we should not let them get away with it, but I guess they will based on these comments!

11. LOKAI of CHERON

All I can say is - wow! Abysmal quality ^10!??? You obviously have an extremely high benchmark for HD technical presentation. Damn, I have some Blu-ray's considerably worse than TUC - the Vivendi release of John Woo's "The Killer" for instance. You'd probably choke on your cornflakes if you saw that! :lol:

12. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'm just a layman, but I didn't see anything wrong with TUC. I do agree, though, that my remastered TOS blu-rays look better.

13. Rincewiend

Rincewiend Admiral Admiral

*sigh*
    Nerds...
    *sigh*

14. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Careful, you'll hyperventilate.

15. austen_pierce

austen_pierce Captain Captain

While I plan to get TWOK at some point, I'm holding out for better content (i.e. extras) before dropping coin on the other blurays.

16. Yanks

Yanks Commodore Commodore

Just received by Target Combo pack yesterday.

Wow...

I watched all the "extras". All of them very nice, but I got the feeling there should have been more.

17. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

My friend Kay Reindl, who wrote that brilliant blog post all about why Star Trek Into Darkness is actually a fine film and rather unworthy of much of the criticism it has received, has posted another blog entry responding to the reaction her first post got. Highly entertaining and with even more good points to consider:

The Ego of Entitlement

18. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I think I'll pass, just based on the title. :)

19. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

This excerpt is especially on point:

(bolding mine)

This is applicable to all forms of creative endeavour. IF (and I do mean "if") the creators want to include "fan feedback", that's fine. But it is certainly not something "owed to the fans".

20. Yanks

Yanks Commodore Commodore

I, for some unknown reason, am having trouble downloading my digital copy.

If you don't mind, what browser are you using? I'm using Chrome.