Holy ....! Doctor Who/Star Trek Crossover coming From IDW!

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by StCoop, Feb 10, 2012.

1. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

it's easier to ignore VGR, ENT or JJTrek, since they came later. just pretend it never happened and trek ended at whichever point you want.

it's trying to ignore shite they keep referencing in the books, like the 4-gender Andorian BS, that's harder...

2. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

3. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Umm...okay, that's an interesting twist. Mind you, with the TARDIS, visiting another era in the Trekverse is hardly an issue at all, but Tom Baker and the classic era Cybermen definately are odd.

And I thought IDW wasn't allowed to use past Doctors?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  4. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Tony Lee has said that they're not.

And there's a Borg on that cover, too.

I suspect that it's simply a variant cover.

5. captcalhoun

it's probably a variant cover. IDW love themselves variant covers.

6. captcalhoun

Borg? where? i see 3 classic Cybermen, Kirk, Spock and Four...

7. Allyn Gibson

Kirk is looking at it. On the right hand side, you can see the shoulder and neck.

8. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

to be honest I figured it was a Cyberman, but maybe we are both right, and its a Borg/Cyberman hybrid.

It would be beyond cool if the comic did feature Kirk and the 4th Doctor as well.

9. ToddKent

ToddKent Captain Captain

This was just posted on IDW's Facebook Page

10. DAYoung

DAYoung Commander Red Shirt

Question from the ignorant and a bit slow: Why does the cover have TNG, if it's about TOS?

11. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

The cover apparently references a flashback contained in the issue. The overall series is TNG based.

12. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

they are really throwing everything at this, I may have to start researching where you can get hold of this comic. That said I think I will wait till all 3 parts come out as one. (quite why I think its 3, im not sure)

13. Allyn Gibson

It's an eight-issue series.

And you'll be able to buy this at a comic shop, wamdue. This is the first IDW Doctor Who series that will be officially available in the UK.

14. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Interesting, so that would mean the Doctor has made at least two trips to the Trek-verse.

So will this tie into the Assimilation-Squared arc, or just be a one-off story?

There is precedent for one-offs of this style. A few years back IDW did a Star Trek series detailing how Kirk gained command of the Enterprise in the Mirror Universe, but they took a break from that story in one issue to have a completely unrelated story about MU Picard fighting Cardassians while commanding the Stargazer. The graphic novel compilation even includes the Picard story right in the middle the Kirk one.

15. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

That cover with Picard and Eleven is cool. But the cover with Four and Kirk caused me to have a geekasm.

16. captcalhoun

wamdue, your best bet is to get the trade-paperback/hardcover omnibus collection when it's out via Amazon

17. DAYoung

DAYoung Commander Red Shirt

Ah. Thank you.

18. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

thanks cap & Allyn Gibson

19. Danlav05

Danlav05 Commodore Commodore

There is Comixology.com where you can legally buy a digital copy and read it. I believe there's also an iPhone/Pad/Android app.

Nevertheless when an omnibus comes out It will definately take pride of place on my bookshelf - seriously I have been a Trek fan since I was a kid, and Doctor Who since 99, so it's a MUST.

DREAM. COME. TRUE. :)

20. 23skidoo

23skidoo Admiral Admiral

Amazon already has the omnibus available for pre-order with release scheduled for October:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1613774036

Presumably the UK version will be available at some point after this, though I imagine you should be able to order it if you're willing to pay the extra postage or Book Depository carries it. I thought the IDW monthlies were distributed in the UK - I get the impression from the discussion here that they are not (I know the early Doctor Who series with the Tenth Doctor wasn't but I thought that changed). I imagine Panini probably has something to do with it if they have a monopoly with DWM and Doctor Who Adventures (which we do not get over here and no one's bothered to do reprints of the comic strip for us).

Alex