Star Trek TOS sound effects

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by treknician1701, Jul 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. treknician1701

treknician1701 Lieutenant Commander

Well, since I have recently been told that my comments and presence here is totally welcome, I will try this subject again, just modified greatly from the last attempt. Someone once told me that if I cannot prove a situation, or I don't have a photograph, it never happened! Well, on this particular situation, I HAVE PROOF!

We will see.....

In 1985, I was coaxed into discovering what happened to the original tapes from TOS sound effects. Apparently, according to a person at "Glenn Glenn sound", when the series was cancelled, all the tapes in their library had disappeared, and nobody had an idea where they were. Doug Grindstaff, who had created many of the effects, and got many from other libraries, was working on another production at that time. I went up to the studio where he was at, to meet with him, since he was kind enough to spare some time, so I thought that I would buy him lunch. I wanted to eat in the studio, but he wanted to meet at an outside venue!

Doug was a great person to talk with, very friendly, and he told me of a dictionary of the ST sounds that he had in his house, and he would be more than happy to get me a copy of that. While talking with Doug, mention was made that a local company "Horta Editorial" was where all the foley work and SFX were done for the animated series, and they may have a copy of the original TOS sound effects! He told me that Sam Horta was the owner, and he would call Sam when he got back to his office, and clear the decks (as he called it) for me to meet with Sam!

About two weeks later, I drove up to Horta Editorial to meet with Sam, who also was a really great guy to deal with. He took me to a massive storage area, where shelves of tapes were stored, and told me to "have at it"! I was going to ask him if he could point me in the proper direction, but I didn't want to push my luck. I had gotten there early that day, so I could have the max amount of time for my search. Starting at row one, my assistant and I started checking the labels, one by one, however there were some where the label had fallen off, and we had to make a look at the actual tape, where there was an inside piece of paper on the inside top of the box, explaining what was on the tape, track listings and feet location on the tape, track number, etc. and when recorded by whom, info like that.

This would take a LONG time. After about 2 hours, my assistant located the JETSONS sound effects, which he wanted to get a copy of! Okay, he's doing this for nothing, so we'll get him some old cartoon sound FX!

After about 90 minutes more, SUCCESS! I found the first set of TREK SFX! There was no inside paper saying what was on the tape, or track listings, or names, no info at all! We really didn't know if this really had any TREK sounds at all, but we continued to search. After a short while, two more tapes were discovered! We had been there into the afternoon, and I didn't want to overstay our welcome, so we took the four boxes of tapes, and went back to Sam's office. He had a piece of paper for me to sign, called a "Letter of transmittal", and he filled in the area where the names of the tapes are to be filled, putting in three Star Trek tapes, (there was no TOS or TAS back then) and one JETSONS tape. At the time I thought that the letter should have been called a letter of transference, since he was transferring possession of the tapes from his company to my personal possession! But whatever. We left the company, very happy to have found some of the FX.

I had the three tapes transferred from 7 1/2 up to 15 IPS, and then played around with those. Two days later, I drove back to Horta Editorial to return the tapes, and to thank Sam Horta for his kindness. I also had a copy of all of the effects at 15IPS to drop over to Doug on my way home. He was delighted to receive them!
    I then worked on getting the TOS sound effects out to the public at large, and the only way to do that, was to get the studio to license their release. The only way to do that was to have a record company approach the studio. Since Crescendo records had already started to release the music from TOS, I went to them.
    And the rest, as they say, is history.

Now, I don't want anybody to think that I'm telling this to have people give me kudos, and slaps on the back. NO! I'm telling this, first off because it's the truth, and OTHER stories have come out from other people, claiming credit. I have the notice that Sam Horta signed on that day, dated July 17, 1985, and countersigned by his son! I am the one who had an agreement with the record company, nobody else!

I have the proof, and many witnesses to this story. Any other storyline is completely bogus! These are the same 4 discs of TOS sound effects that many people are selling online today, both at Ebay and other venues as well. These all came from me, and nobody else!

That is my story. I have the proof.

Greg Stone

Last edited: Jul 5, 2014
  2. nightwind1

nightwind1 Commodore Commodore

You might want to try paragraphs. When I see a solid wall of text like that, it's makes me not even want to read it.

3. treknician1701

I did have paragraphs, however now I have separated them with two space returns. Is that better?

4. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Commodore Commodore

Four CDs? Do tell.

5. AtoZ

AtoZ Commander Red Shirt

Shame

6. treknician1701

Yes, there are a total set of FOUR CDs all over the place, for sale by Bootlegging creeps that have gotten their hands on these sounds, and are profiting by selling them. I, personally, blame my "assistant", who has been handing them out, trying to impress anyone and everyone. There are many different covers and disk labels, but they are the same track lists.

Anyway, keep an eye on Ebay, some will show up, and on other auction sites as well. I see them pop up from time to time.

7. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Huh.

I have the Crescendo CDs around here somewhere.

8. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

How funny! I have proof too!

I purchased this album at Borders back in 1999 or 2000. Or was it Best Buy? I can't recall specifically.

Is this it?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I can't speak to the original GNP Crescendo score albums, as I traded them in when the superb LaLaLand Records series box set was released in 2012.

But I can't help but notice that the name "GREG STONE" appears nowhere in the actual documentation for this particular album.

9. Green Shirt

Green Shirt Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I bought the CD back in the 90s, but it was only a single disc. Wonder where the "other three" are? :rolleyes:

10. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Then it should be a simple matter to scan the paperwork (or have your assistant do it), get a Photobucket account and post it for all the world to see.

11. feek61

feek61 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The official release is missing a ton of the effects. I can believe that there is much more out there; in fact I know there is. I just wish I had them!!!!! :)

12. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

I do know some of these effects made it to the 15-disc TOS Box Set I mentioned above. But four discs worth? I don't know.

13. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

I have all four of these bootleg CDs. There are all kinds of TOS sound effects that aren't available on the single-disc official CD. A complete library of sound effects is almost a necessity for fan productions that try to emulate the original series.

Like Greg Stone said in his original post, they crop up from time to time on eBay. Keep your eyes peeled.

14. Misfit Toy

Misfit Toy Caped Trek Mod Admiral

I wonder where SNL got their sound effects for their TOS bits in the mid 70s...

15. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

The few TOS sound effects used in that May, 1976 Saturday Night skit sound like they were lifted from the Inside Star Trek LP album that had just been released earlier that year.

16. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've had the GNP sound fx CD forever but never picked up bootlegs.

I appreciated Greg Stone's post very much. Incidentally, Sam Horta was the music editor on Batman, another great show of the period.

17. treknician1701

Unfortunately, I have NO photos of me and Sam Horta together, or me looking thru the Horta library, so, according to several people here, IT NEVER HAPPENED!

18. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Who knows?

19. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

People making unsubstantiated claims on the internet? God know that has never happened before!

20. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

I have all those sound effects, plus a pile of SFX created for TMP.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.