Visit to Deneva

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by PCz911, Apr 22, 2014.

1. PCz911

PCz911 Captain Captain

Sorry its taken so long. And I admit that I didn't show a lot of the photo references from the episode.... BUT did visit Northrop Grumman and find all the key shooting locations for Operation annihilate. I created a powerpoint showing the camera locations in case someone is interested. Here's the link in case you want to see what it looks like now. I admit that near the end of the visit I saw the sign that prohibited photography! Egad! Sorry, didn't know.

http://pcztos.tumblr.com/

2. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

To coin a phrase, "fascinating". And yeah, surprising Northrup Grumann didn't have tighter security since they work on top secret stuff there. Great photos. For a while, I thought Conquest of the Planet of the Apes was partly filmed there due to some of the architecture, but that was at yet-to-be-opened Century City Plaza or something.

When I lived in the San Francisco area, I once drove up to Bodega Bay to check out some of the exteriors seen in Hitchcock's The Birds. The schoolhouse was in nearby Bodega and had turned into a bed and breakfast by the early 90s.

3. Sir Rhosis

Sir Rhosis Commodore Commodore

Great stuff. Thank for sharing. Has changed so vey little.

Sir Rhosis

4. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

Exteriors for Conquest of the Planet of the Apes were filmed in the Century City complex and on the UC Irvine campus.

5. Botany Bay

Botany Bay Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thanks for sharing these!

So is this a publicly accessible area, or do you need to work there? It really hasn't changed much since 1967.

6. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

Nice pics. Except for a new entrance door and some growth and additions to plant life, it is essentially the same isn't it? Thanks for sharing.

7. HarryM

HarryM Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Fascinating! Shame they filled in the reflecting pool though.

8. HarryM

One interesting thing in the original, when the landing party first beams down by the pool is what appears to be some sort of radar target on a crane. The stuff on the roof has been heavily reconfigured since then.

http://tos.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x29hd/operationannihilatehd106.jpg

In the view looking down on them from the same building you can see some interesting stuff, the bunch of pyramids might be a piece of some sort of radar absorbing baffle.

http://tos.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x29hd/operationannihilatehd111.jpg

9. feek61

feek61 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You mean the mosquito breeding pool?

10. scotpens

In the shot from the rooftop, it's also apparent that they still use incandescent floodlamps and electrical conduit in the 23rd century.

Decorative reflecting pools have circulating systems and filters, and are periodically drained and cleaned to prevent algae buildup and the breeding of insects. That costs money, of course.

11. HarryM

12. PCz911

PCz911 Captain Captain

So is this a publicly accessible area, or do you need to work there? It really hasn't changed much since 1967.[/QUOTE]

The last Saturday of the month is a ham radio swap meet. It's open to the public. I'm also a licensed ham radio operator so that's how I found out about the campus being open. I admit, I was geeking out! I went with screen caps and then my son took shots of me in the same area/pose. (no, I didn't post them. I only posted the generic shots). It was only at the end I saw the sign by the cafeteria.

It was also great insight into how the director blocked out shots back then. Cameras and lighting were so cumbersome. They didn't have too many set ups in front of the cafeteria.

I'm tempted to drive up to Vasquez rocks to find all the arena locations.

13. Botany Bay

Botany Bay Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thanks for the info!

I'm planning on doing something similar on my next visit to
    LA - will add 'Deneva' to my list.

So far I have :

Miramanee's planet : Franklin Canyon Reservoir
    IV-892 : somewhere near the Hollywood sign
    Cestus 3 (and many others) : Vasquez rocks.

Any other suggestions welcome :)

14. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thanks, PCz911! These pics are very much appreciated. :bolian:

The photo in this article looks a lot like an Albert Whitlock matte painting. The walkways, little manicured lawns, reflecting pool, and abstract sculpture are uncanny reminders of Eminiar VII and Starbase 11.

[​IMG]

15. PCz911

PCz911 Captain Captain

Kirk's brother's lab in the operation annhiliate is a stock shot (albeit reversed) of the ucla music building. No cast were there, but....

16. PCz911

PCz911 Captain Captain

Totally agree. I think a lot of the architecture from this era influenced the design for 'future-esque' planets. Even now, when driving thru LA I see buildings that can immediately be tagged to this era.

17. scotpens

A soundstage set was built for the scene where Spock gets attacked by one of the flying parasites. Note the continuity of design with the TRW campus. It really made me believe the characters were still at TRW and not on the Desilu lot!

18. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

Attention to detail like this had me believing the same thing.

19. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

When I was a kid in the early '90s, the local market TV station would rerun Star Trek episodes at something like 2:00am every weeknight, and I figured out how to program the VCR to record them. "Operation: Annihilate" was the first one I recorded so this episode always had a special place for me. I was very proud of myself. Must've been about 11 years old. Very fun to see how little the location has changed in almost half a century.

--Alex