Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by JJ-R, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

Hmm. I think my memory was misleading me. These frames look quite a bit more detailed and full of grain than even the same type of shot in "The Child":

http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/2x01/thechild_hd_160.jpg
    http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/2x01/thechild_hd_161.jpg

This is definitely the best treatment we've seen of these anamorphically lensed shots. Maybe they finally decided by the time they got to "Samaritan Snare" to scale up the shot to 3656 x 1556 before they did the digital pan?

2. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

There are some better than average improvements in the Dauphin, especially with the planetscapes and asteroid field. Also I think I actually like The Dauphin better than I used to...hmm..

RAMA

3. Mott the barber

Mott the barber Commodore Commodore

Anyone remember the episode with the 10-Forward "at-warp" pan? Almost positive it's S2 since that's what I've been watching lately.

4. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Agreed. Some of the planets, like in The Dauphin, look much better than other 2nd season episodes. I remember the holodeck scene looking a bit dodgy, w/ the sloppy compositing outlines noted in other episodes.

Although I hadn't seen it since the DVD first came out, I too found myself enjoying the episode more than I remembered. One of its strong points is Madchen Amick, but also it's a poignant episode showing a young woman who must cast aside any selfish joy a young person might look forward to, in order to dedicate herself to the betterment of her society.

5. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Is it from The Child?

6. Mott the barber

Might very well be, I just don't have access to the screen shots at the moment.

Edit: Just looked through the screencaps from Trekcore. It's not from "The Child"...

Hmm.

7. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Another minor cropping issue in Contagion:

http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/2x11/contagion_hd_266.jpg

I get the feeling the remaster would have gone a lot smoother if they had stuck to the 1440x1080 resolution. Widening the shots added too many effects problems. Perhaps the issues with the misaligning light passes might have worked itself out too.

8. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I really think some of it had to do with the fact I liked the actress better this time around. Something about her sacrifice seemed a lot sadder to me now. I hadn't watched this one in a long time.

A seldom mentioned improvement from Contagion:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dauphin
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Bad Atom

Bad Atom Commodore Commodore

10. Ghostface1701

Ghostface1701 Commander Red Shirt

An improvement certainly, but still below CBS-D's standards. The textures and modeling on that asteroid look really bad.

11. Mott the barber

It's possible it occurred in that episode as well but I haven't seen it in the last 2 years or so and I know I saw it more recently. Oh well. :D

12. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Possibly but we really won't ever know. I think they're good enough of an improvement to make it worthwhile pointing out the work.

13. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Love the new Iconia shot, but unfortunately I found the Holodeck shots in the Dauphin to be a bit disappointing, with the actors still looking too much like they were standing in front of a bluescreen.

I have a feeling CBS-D probably would have been able to integrate them a lot better, with the more shadowy lighting style they use.

14. FrontierTrek

FrontierTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Doug Drexler did the Iconia shot from what I gather.

15. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I was always unhappy with that shot, if it was Drexler he remade it faithfully with just the right changes.

16. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

Season four was also the season in which TNG surpassed TOS in number of episodes. That was a big milestone for the series.

17. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

18. MickJo1701

MickJo1701 Commander Red Shirt

True, but they didn't horizontally squash the Enterprise in that particular shot like they usually do so the cock up had to be somewhere :)

19. MikeS

MikeS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Wasn't that the Yamato anyway? :confused:

20. NewHorizon

NewHorizon Captain Captain

No, this is a screen shot from Pen Pals.