Lost Fifth Season Finale: "The Incident"

Discussion in 'Lost' started by Agent Richard07, May 13, 2009.

?

Grade the episode...

1. Excellent

79.6%
  2. Above Average

14.6%
  3. Average

2.9%
  4. Below Average

1.9%
  5. Poor

1.0%
  1. Gertch

Gertch Admiral

Excellent. There were some slow points but all in all it was great. Can't wait to read everyone's responses tomorrow.

2. gh4chiefs

gh4chiefs Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not really digging this turn of events with "not Locke."

3. warriorsfan

warriorsfan Admiral Admiral

With Star Trek though, you only had to wait about 4 months to find out the conclusion. With LOST, we're going to be waiting at least twice that.

And they aren't going to reset the timeline. Why, after setting up all that stuff with the Alana and the Ajira flight people and Jacob's mysterious frenemy and Ghost Locke and Jacob's death and the million other things, would they just reset everything and not follow through with that? Because all that would be "reset" as well. We got 100 new questions this episode and a reset would essentially deny us answers to many of those.

4. It seems like the whole thing was a predestination paradox. Island sent them back precisely to make sure history happens.

5. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

4/4 Much better than the last finale and probably better than "Looking Glass" too!

I guess I should have known Jacob would die since they were finally explaining and showing him. Sigh. The most fascinating part of this is Jacob and "The Adversary" I am choosing to call him. An eternal ying and yang seeking to kill one another. Finally the Adversary found his loophole by taking the form of undead Locke and luring the Native Leader (who Ben must be again if Locke is dead) into killing Jacob.

So who are the Ilana people? The way Jacob said "they're coming", makes me think that he's referring to Ilana or someone that will come to the Island now because he has died. Could Ilana be part of Jacob's immortal race? She seemed to know who Jacob was (only she didn't have the power).

Perhaps out of the immortal race only two are chosen to have the power, Jacob and the Adversary. Ilana and her group are part of the race yet have no power themselves.

Why would Cerebus tell Ben to blindly follow the words of the Adversary posing as Locke? Is the Advesrary the controller of Cerebus? Are they the same thing? In either case it appears that Cerebus is in opposition to Jacob. Or easily fooled.

The entire Jack-Plan just seemed completely asinine to me. They're going to detonate a hydrogen bomb in front of their faces and think they'll be okay?! Or did they willingly realize that they themselves would die and a different them would still survive elsewhere? Because that sounds like a terrible plan to me...

Sigh. Why they gotta kill Juliet? I liked her.

And why the hell can't they show what happened when the bomb went off! Christ! I'm choosing to believe it launches them back to the future.

I loved all the little flashbacks to Jacob intervening in their lives. I could immediately guess which character it was, fun fun! So might there be some cosmic signifigance to the guitar he gave to Hurley? Perhaps he hid his katra in the guitar! :D

Will Sayid die? Better not!

Actually come to think of it, I think the characters might stay in 1977. We never saw Annie again and she's supposed to be important. We never learned the circumstances of Horace building Jacob's Cabin or why Jacob was in that cabin. We never saw Chang loose his arm (only his hand/wrist was hit by the metal, right?).

6. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

The thing that really excites me about Season Six is now we have an immortal cosmic adversary who has killed nice old Jacob and is now gonna do some horrible things that our characters will have to stop.

Hey, Widmore wasn't even mentioned in this episode! How will Widmore figure into the final season? 'Cause all of a sudden he seems extremely unimportant!

7. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Why said Juliet is dead?

I have to say this felt cheap, and rather lame for the last season finale of LOST.

8. The Habs Fan

The Habs Fan Commodore Commodore

Excellent

I will not spell out my theories because they're probably totally wrong. Safe to say I was surprised throughout this episode though I did guess that inside the cargo container was going to be Locke's body (but I didn't guess who NotLocke was).

9. I dont see the timeline getting reset, they were sent back precisely to make sure the incident happened.

10. Trippy

Trippy NaNoWriMo Victim Admiral

Yes, they caused their own crash on the island! In fact, they caused just about all the crap that happened to them :lol:

11. Legolas

Legolas Commodore Commodore

Which is why I'm done with this show. The writers have no idea what they're doing. They don't know how to tell a story. They set up these great mysteries for ratings purposes only with no idea what the mysteries mean, then they write bullshit and try to fill in the gaps and it just turns out to be anticlimactic. Then the bastards take the better part of a year off?? 2010?? WTF??!!!

12. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

13. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I just thought of something Des didn't even appear in this episode! He really got short-shafted this entire season! He got one centric episode and a couple of cameos. Bring him back to the Island dammit! ... I was convinced the Ajira people had another nuke in the case, and that they would have to detonate it at the precise "moment" that Jack set his nuke off for balance. Or that they would use it to kill Jacob. I was blown away when it was Locke's dead body!!!

14. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

They announced two years ago the schedule for the rest of LOST. Three 17 episode seasons airing in Jan-May (cept S4 which was 14 due to the strike).

15. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaargggggh :scream:

16. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

It's 16 episodes a season. :p

17. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Someone suggested in the commentary thread that "they're coming" is a reference to the time displaced characters coming back to the present. That would be a more reasonable (but mundane!) explanation. Someone also suggested that the reason Jacob brought the O6 back to the Island was to have them cause a nuclear time reset which would bring him back to life, but I dunno about that one. Whatever happened, happened! Dead is dead, as we learned is doubly true with Mister Locke! I guess next season we won't be seeing Locke anymore but the actor will continue to portray the Adversary.

18. sidious618

No, it's 17.

19. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

It's 17. Tonight's episode was episode 16 and 17. It was supposed to be 16 each but the strike made S4 only 14, which then added an extra episode to the count of S5 and S6.

20. sidious618

Well, I glanced on another board and the translation to what Richard said to Illana was "He who will save us all." Locke's body was lying in the shadow of the statue...