So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. BritishSeaPower

BritishSeaPower Captain Captain

Finally finished MU: Glass Empires and am halfway through MU: Shards and Shadows. I was able to score a copy of Cold Equations: Book 1 at NYCC, and am now hoping to finally get to the Post-Nemesis books!

2. Endgame

Endgame Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I am almost exactly halfway through "To Reign in Hell" by Greg Cox and enjoying it immensely. I also read a Hastings Center Report entitled "A Not-so-new Eugenics" by Robert Sparrow (2011) and several other articles then met with a discussion group. I recently acquired "Netocracy" by Bard & Soderquist (2002) and although I had not previously heard of the book I recently acquired "Endgame" (Volumes One and Two) by Derrick Jensen (2006) which shall be a challenging read. If I am discussing wish lists, then it would be nice to read "Principles of Psychology" by James or the works of Emerson. And, alas, "Destiny" is still in my future.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  3. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've been reading some of the older Startrek novels Ice Trap by L.AGraf Great book I really liked that you really had a strange alien Artic typr planet and the Kitka were interesting characters in this novel. I liked the Kirk and McCoy being on a futuristic submarine .And Chekov and Uhura and the security officers being in danger.I also like the TNG book Into the Nebula by Gene Deweese. I like reading a novel that features the TNG crew and having Data have an important role in the story.Nice to read novel where he's includede again.:techman::cool:

4. Sho

Sho Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've been somewhat slacking on my reading lately. Well, not slacking as much as felt less driven and somewhat meandering. I continued with my Vanguard reading, where I am currently in the middle of What Judgements Come. I also read Redshirts (verdict: meh - not much there beyond the premise) and The Casual Vacancy, which is the new Rowling novel.

I was curious whether I'd like her writing style in a book that I'm less prejudiced against than with Harry Potter (I'm not big on fantasy, and when I make an exception it's not for something quite as sweet and magical). Turns out that I think yes, she is a competent writer, but her style is sort of at odds with what she was trying to accomplish topically in the book, so I didn't enjoy it a whole lot.

Right now I'm considering taking some time off from Judgements to insert my freshly-purchased copy of Only Superhuman into the schedule, since there's always some extra "new release" thrill with a book that's just come out. This one is very interesting to me since I enjoy hard-scifi but historically don't really go for superhero fiction, so I'm curious how this approach will go over with me.

5. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

I've been re-reading the Star Wars: X-wing novels for the first time since the first set of novels were being published in the '90s. I'm currently up to The Bacta War, the fourth novel in the series and the last one prior to the introduction of Wraith Squadron.

With today's release of Only Superhuman, however, it's time for a short break.

6. S. Gomez

S. Gomez Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Currently re-reading Neil Gaiman's Anansi Boys. I found a hardcover copy in nice condition at a used bookstore not too long ago, which was a joy.

Next up I'm going to be reading Rowling's new book The Casual Vacancy and Stuart McLean's Revenge of The Vinyl Cafe. After that I'm not sure. I've started rewatching DS9 for the first time in a long while, so that probably means that before too long I'll be catching up with my Trek books. I have a LOT of catching up to do.

7. Fer

Fer Commander Red Shirt

Finished You Are Not So Smart. I'm reading a little slower than normal due to my spending so much time moving, so I'm probably not going to meet my goal of 52 books this year. Oh well.

Today I'll be starting Brinkmanship. Up on deck is the novelization of Revenge of the Sith.

8. WarsTrek1993

WarsTrek1993 Captain Captain

Currently reading Star Wars: Rogue Planet, which I found only a few weeks ago (hence the big jump back in the timeline).

NEXT: Continuing my ST reading with a re-read of Serpents Among The Ruins, one of the best Star Trek books out there! :)

9. Cap'n Crunch

Cap'n Crunch Captain Captain

I finished Star Trek: Voyager: The Eternal Tide last night. It's good and I enjoyed, just not as much as Beyer's previous Voyager novels.

I'm now reading Psych: The Call of the Mild.

10. indianatrekker26

indianatrekker26 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

8 chapters to go, before i finish the epic Destiny trilogy. This is so much better than when i read it the first time. Then it's on to A Singular Destiny. And every book after, in release date order. I've been playing catchup.

11. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

Currenly reading:
    Dracula by Bram Stoker, Irish novelist
    and
    Auf zwei Planeten by Kurt Laßwitz, German novelist.

I am eagerly looking forward to the download of The Persistence of Memory.

12. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

After two months of train travel across Asia and Europe, I'm back in North America!

I've just posted my review for Voyager: The Eternal Tide by Kirsten Beyer.

Books read on my trip:

Your Republic is Calling You by Young-ha Kim
    Star Trek: Voyager: The Eternal Tide by Kirsten Beyer
    Ghost Train to the Eastern Star by Paul Theroux
    Star Trek: Typhon Pact: Brinkmanship by Una McCormack
    Star Trek: Vanguard: In Tempest's Wake by Dayton Ward
    Star Trek: Federation by Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stevens
    Anathem by Neal Stephenson
    Black Swan Green by David Mitchell

Currently reading:

Star Trek: In the Name of Honor by Dayton Ward
    Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell

Eagerly awaiting:

Cold Equations: The Persistence of Memory by David Mack

It's good to be back!!!

13. BritishSeaPower

BritishSeaPower Captain Captain

Onto the New Frontier Mirror Universe offering, which is pretty good so far. Though, it's been a long time since I read an NF story. (Since the first 4 came out, basically.)

I've really been enjoying the Mirror Universe so far, it's been fairly strong all around. I really enjoyed KRAD's Voyager story. Can't believe I'm 60% through the whole thing!

14. WarsTrek1993

WarsTrek1993 Captain Captain

Currently going through Serpents Among The Ruins and loving every page of it! :)

NEXT: Brinkmanship, then back to chronology with Day Of The Vipers. Lately, I've had this nagging temptation to skip directly to the DS9 relaunch, though. Not sure why...

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Started reading Work is Hard, Greg Cox's Pakled story in ST: Seven Deadly Sins. I'm not real far into it, but it's been pretty good so far. It's nice to get a TNG story set during the series with everybody still around.

16. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That definitely was the biggest positive suprise for me in Seven Deadly Sins. From my review of the anthology from two years ago:

17. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

Reading the old Howard Weinstein novel The Covenant of the Crown. It's a short one with a pretty simple premise. Not a whole lot of substance in this one.

18. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Actually, for one of the short novels from that era, it's got plenty of substance -- great character work for the Spock-McCoy pair and for Kirk separately, and some nice ruminations about the nature of leadership. It's always been a favorite of mine.

19. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

Maybe it has to do with me being a former Army Officer but I feel like I've heard every single take on leadership in existance. I just didn't find anything that I haven't heard before with regards to leadership in this book. If I would have had read this book in 1981 then maybe I would appreciate the character work with the big three but I have read pretty much every other TOS novel there is so I'm not really pulling anything out of this that I haven't heard before.

20. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Thanks! I admit that writing 20,000 words about "Sloth" was a challenge.

Everybody else got the fun sins, like Lust and Wrath, but me . . . I got stuck with Sloth! :)