Wiped Episode Discoveries

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Allyn Gibson, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Let me put it this way, I was banned from there some years ago for a private comment made to a moderator off-list. No swearing or personal insults involved - and since it was a private convo offsite, no rules broken - ISTR it was having said the moderation rules were ludicrous.

I'm told I've since been unbanned and that the cunt who did it is no longer a moderator there, but I'm never going back.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  2. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It is but at the same time it's a private Forum that can make and enforce whatever rules it wants.

I've no sympathy for people who get banned for not following the rules they have to agree to follow when they sign up. (And that includes me. Several times!!)

3. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

True, although I've never been impressed by that line of thought. Freedom of speech is more important to me than the right of jerks to be jerks.

I've never seen Gallifrey Base myself, but to me it sounds like it betrays the values of populism and open-mindedness of the show it claims to love.

4. StCoop

Once again, I don't agree with their rules, which is I don't go there anymore, but it's nothing to do with Freedom Of Speech.

When you're visiting someone's private house you can either abide by the rules they lay down (however stupid some of them may be) or go visit someone else who will let you do what you want. They may be the biggest DW forums on the Internet but they're not the only ones.

5. The Mirrorball Man

True, but it's not a house, it's an internet forum. Oh well, I apologize for what is nothing more than a time-wasting digression. Coming as I am from a country where freedom of speech is guaranteed, I guess I have different expectations than people who have a different background and different experiences. And you're right, ultimately, not posting there is the best option.

6. StCoop

It's an American owned and run Forum!

7. The Mirrorball Man

What's your point?

8. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Freedom of Speech has nothing whatsoever to do with the Private Sector. Freedom of Speech is simply "The Government may make no laws to limit your Speech"

9. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

to quote the cliche, freedom of speech doesn't give you permission to shout FIRE! in a crowded cinema, well not unless there is a fire.

Freedom of speech doesn't mean you can say what you like, no matter which country you live in, eventually you'll go over the line and breach some law.

10. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Does that mean the posters elsewhere are only intermittently people? ;)

11. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was "invited" to create an account there when the older "OutPost Gallifrey" closed shop. I did, but I just didn't bother using it until the last few months when I learned a member within the fan art forum was sharing a .OBJ mesh file of an "EarthShock" Cyberman helmet. I had desired one for some time, so I wanted to thank him once I downloaded it.

I have posted a few times since then, praising someone's fan comic or artistic photography of the 1/13th scale action figures. But that's about it. I avoid the episode discussions because I remember how heated and nasty the threads can turn, kinda' like the Abrams sub-forum on this site. ;)

Sincerely,

Bill

12. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You had to tempt fate, didn't you? Now you'll have to check your next manuscript for amusing literals fifty times, and one will still slip through... :-)

13. Christopher

^Oh, I've been doing that for decades. Fate must be tired of it by now.

14. The Mirrorball Man

That's not "Freedom of Speech", that's the 2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution, which, as you say, only guarantees that your freedom of speech won't be limited by the Government, and that doesn't equate to much in a complex world of mass media and world-spanning corporations. Other countries have broader, more modern definition of what freedom of speech is.

15. Sindatur

Fair enough, I can see how that sounded American-centric. I tend to think of the Board as conforming to American Law, since it is (To My Knowledge) the Definitive and Largest Trek Board, which is afterall an American Franchise. My apologies if that's an incorrect assessment.

If it is correct though, the board is a Private Enterprise, and therefore can allow or disallow whatever Freedom of Speech they choose... It's a condition of creating a UserID and posting that you accept those terms. Also, typically whatever you post is the Board's Property should things ever get ugly over ownership rights to post content

16. Christopher

No, that's the First Amendment. "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances." The Second Amendment is the rather problematical one about the right to bear arms.

17. Sindatur

I suspect the bears aren't especially pleased with that Amendment either ;)

18. The Mirrorball Man

Of course. Sorry, brain fart.

19. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    "Almost People"? Oh my god, it's full of Gangers!

20. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

To save anyone else the effort of posting this, a TV EPG for the UK is listing the Dad's Army episode The Loneliness of the Long Distance Walker for the next weekend but one, which would be nice, as it's missing.
    But don't get too excited - the talk from inside the BBC is that someone just automatically scheduled the next episode (they've just started running season two, which is the incomplete one), not realising that it doesn't exist. In other words, if anyone tells you that this is proof the big 60s TV find is for real, tell them that it isn't, it's just a slip-up.