The OFFICIAL STNG-R general discussion thread!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by jefferiestubes8, May 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Re: The OFFICIAL STNG-R discussion thread!

I used to think the reverse, but time and again fandom has shown that they prefer to stand pat and think in the box. This has been true since Nimoy got death threats for having the gall to "kill" Spock to people who can't stand the idea of IMPROVING the technical merits of the shows just because it doesn't tally with their personal memories of them. There's more to the show than just nostalgia. It unfortunately demonstrates the fandom's penchant for wanting what's comfortable rather than what breaks new ground.

They didn't fail on the renders at all...they weren't meant to look like state of the art FX, they were meant to be idealized...in STNG-R that should not be an issue. If TOS-R were not idealized, you'd be complaining even MORE that they looked like Enterprise era FX. In other words, they couldn't win no matter what they did.

RAMA

2. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

Here's an example I mocked up in Photoshop using a frame from "Encounter at Farpoint":

[​IMG]

1.33:1 - Just a straightforward presentation of the intended 4:3 framing.

[​IMG]

1.66:1 - Combining the added picture info from the camera negative but maintaining the intended vertical framing.

[​IMG]

1.78:1 - Cropping the vertical height to almost the TV Action Safe area to bring the composition to 16:9.

Here are the images I used if you were wondering:
    http://tng.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/s1/1x01/farpoint1_070.jpg
    http://tng.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/s1/1x01/farpoint1_071.jpg

3. Start Wreck

Start Wreck Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I meant, he argues against TNG being in 4:3 on the basis that it is boring. He may mean it was filmed "boringly" for other reasons (not its aspect ratio) but he argues 16:9 would help it, so I've hardly twisted anything.

I'm in favour of adding new things, new ships, new effects, CGI and all that jazz... I'm just not in favour of removing a large part of the picture in order to do it, which is what making it 16:9 would involve.

Also, if you actually wanted it to be "more cinematic", then it could be even wider than 16:9, you know, like movies at the cinema. Of course, you'd lose even more of the picture. Would you be in favour of that? Where would you draw the line?

Making it "larger and wider" is impossible. It's large and narrow, or small and wide. You cannot have both. It's a compromise.

---

Maxwell, that is some epic photoshoppery, so well done. :bolian:
    The problem is using a safe zone is, by definition, not safe. It's also still cropped, however slight. Same as the Enterprise TATV example.

Admittedly, that picture looks fine, as did the TATV footage (for the purposes of a stock shot), but that's a long way from making sure an entire seven-season series works well enough in widescreen.

4. LitmusDragon

LitmusDragon Commodore Commodore

I'm pretty neutral on the 16 x 9 thing. On the one hand I've seen it done before on another show I love (Seinfeld) and it mostly worked very well. On the other hand I wouldn't mind them being purists about it.

If they do make an official announcement on the 28th I hope they include some of this test footage they've been showing people. Or at least a screenshot!

5. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Terrific, see it can be done.

I do have a feeling the odds are about 60-40 they will go with 4:3. Simply to be "purist" about it even if 16:9 looks better.

See Star Wreck...lots more interesting stuff on the horizontal..

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  6. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

May I ask why? It isn't his name (what "is" and "isn't" being the last established mention of something in the canon). So, are you thinking that during that episode his name actually is James R. Kirk instead of Tiberius?

Say if in Encounter there was a graphic that had Picard born in England instead of France...should that be left in? We all know he wasn't (won't be?). Or the mistake with Data's rank in AGT? He never was a LtJG on the show. Why leave it in?

I'm not a fan of Lucasifying the series (I'll make an exception for BoBW or some of the "evasive maneuvers" where the ship remains motionless). I don't want the powers that be to stick in an Arex in the background like Lucas did on Tatooine. But I am in favor for correcting continuity mistakes early on in a series run. I think most people are for updating some of the sfx to including something more than the same 6 or 7 shots of Enterprise warping by or entering orbit or doing the same entering orbit move just without a planet there.

The show can and did get stuff wrong in the show. They should correct it. Maybe it'll silence some of the more nerdy Trekkie questions like "In episode S2xE14 you said that Riker did_____but in episode S1xE6 we clearly see him _____". Maybe cut that stuff or correct it.

The series can defiantly improved upon without being negatively altered.

7. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

For what it's worth, I'd be in favour of a 16x9, CGI-laden TNG-HD.

TNG was inherently a series intended for small, 1980s, 4x3 CRT screens. It looked fine there for it's time, and is preserved in glorious DVD for future generations. Even on my rather large HD LCD television, the upscaled DVDs are still very watchable.

But to make a Blu-ray release value for money, and actually just of a worthy standard for the High Definition format, I would see this as a new edition of the same series. The stories will be the same, the characters, the dialogue, but the visuals will be enhanced to match up.

If it really bothers me, I can still grab the DVDs and watch BoBW how it's always been, but I'd also love to see a more cinematic, rebuilt version for the 21st century.

*Actually I will add that it does rather depend on how much material there is in the original negs. I hate it when a film series (such as TOS or The World At War) is overzealously chopped up, because the original framing is totally lost. If it turns out there's not enough to do it sensitively, and you'd end up with a horrible looking product, then it's a no-brainer to leave it in the original 4x3.

8. Squiggy

Agreed. The purists who don't want to see any sort of changes...what's the point of doing it at all? If all you're having is the identical 4:3 shots for 178 hours, then why even do the project? To have a better contrast ratio?

The point of this is to make TNG watchable to a generation of viewers who's standard is HD. It might suck for you but the "kids these days" weren't even alive when the show aired. It seems like ancient history. It would look like ancient history if it wasn't tweaked and there would be almost zero chance of having it connect again.

But if you beleive what I beleive and that the best part of Trek is the story and not the visuals, then the best part of Trek and the reason we all fell in love with it will remain. TOS-R didn't cease being Star Trek because of a couple of shoddy effects shots. The stories and the characters and the messages were all there, but now it's not painful to watch on a 70 inch plasma. The same holds true to TNG.

If you don't like change then you can keep your current unaltered TNG DVDs. No one will take those away. That's their original intent and how they originally aired.

9. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Hm... shall we also recut the episodes for faster pace and add lens flares and shaky cam because that's the current style of this generation?

Why can't I just have the original, but only in High Def? We also got the unaltered TOS on blu ray, far beyond the original intention, didn't we?

10. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

It's not just aesthetics if it fits the the current format (not style) better with minimal alteration.

There is also concept art for shots and FX that could not be produced at the time on budget or at the pace the shows were shot at. Much of that work exists...Like Armus and the Jarada examples I gave on the last thread...there is even a spot for alien Jarada to be inserted where a planet was used instead. I'm in favor of adding these in also.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  11. Squiggy

That is a style...not a standard, of a minority of directors...JJ being one of them.

HD is the standard. A few years from now there won't be any SD available on TV in the United States. HD set market penetration (giggity) was 65% 16 months ago. I wouldn't be shocked if it was over 70 now. You can't buy SD sets now. Network shows aren't offered in SD. When HD penetration (giggity) reaches 80-85%, I'm sure that shows and on screen graphics will switch to being primarily 16:9 rather than the current 16:9 with a 4:3 title safe.

In a couple of years the teenagers (the ones who determine what is and what isn't "hip" or "with it") will no of nothing BUT high definition. SD programming will seem as archaic as black and white is to Generation Xers.

You might have both. Hell if I know. Speilberg said that next time he releases E.T he'll put in both the original theatrical release and his familyfied update from a couple of years ago on the same disc.

As for what the original intent was, I'm sure it was to get as many eyeballs as possible on the show, in whatever format was popular at the time. If that was VHS, DVD, Bluray or whatever's next...I'm sure that's what the writers, producers, directors, actors, and most importantly the suits at Paramount/CBS want.

12. Start Wreck

I'm sure you're aware that this example is a photoshopped picture, not a capture of the original negative. For all we know, the original negative of this frame has a boom mic next to Tasha's head, or a member of the film crew standing by the turbolift, making it unusable.

I'm not saying every shot does have that, but the point of the safe zone is that it isn't intended to be used because it might do. And if you can't guarantee that every shot is safe to extend horizontally, then it means spending time (and money) looking for the mistakes and trying to correct them on a case-by-case basis.

And, I will just add, that even if the area outside of the safe zones is usable for every single shot in every single episode, that the above example still has cropping that diminishes the framing of the shot. There is an unpleasant lack of headroom above Yar, which is not as aesthetically pleasing as the original composition.

You may not mind it. You may think it looks "good enough". In my view, it just isn't worth it.

Umm... to have them in HD.

I'm not a purist by any stretch! I love the new effects in TOS-R, and I'm eager to see more in TNG-R. But I don't want to lose a load of the picture and ruin the framing of the shots just for the sake of it.

That's not an improvement, that's making it worse.

13. Squiggy

So you'd rather have this:
    [​IMG]

for sake of losing this?
    [​IMG]

14. Start Wreck

Yes, most definitely.

15. Squiggy

It's a matter of personal taste, but since you'd be losing nothing to the story I just don't see it and disagree.

16. Start Wreck

It's not just about the "story" though, is it? By that logic, you could remove the picture entirely and turn it into a radio drama. :rommie:

The point of this project should be to take the existing elements and make a better version of the show. Increasing the resolution is better. Increasing the quality, detail and variety of special effects shots is better. Removing the top and bottom of every shot isn't better, it's vandalism.

They did it right with TOS; I hope they don't mess this one up.

17. Squiggy

No. You'd have to add a hell-of-a lot of dialogue to describe what it is they're looking at.

I disagree. If done well you wouldn't even notice.

Some people think they messed up TOS by changing it to the level that they did. Again, it's a matter of personal preference. Some people think they Trek died in 1979, Others in 1987. Others in 2005. Some people think it shouldn't be touched at all. If it is touched or modified, it isn't vandalized...it's changed.

Times change.

If you want TNG to get any sort of airplay past it's current run on BBC and open it up to a new audience then you shouldn't restrict yourself to an outdated visual standard. Color television didn't vandalize television anymore than sound vandalized the motion picture.

18. AviTrek

AviTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think what he means is 16:9 with smaller black bars. If you watch TNG on BBCA you can get a vague sense of this. They stretch the image slightly. It doesn't fill the entire 16:9 frame, but it does reduce the size of the black bars on the top/bottom. So in this case, he's suggesting expanding the frame a little if possible, and doing a smaller crop of the top/bottom if necessary. You lose less material and get closer to a full 16:9 image.

19. Scotty

Scotty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The point? I want to see TNG in HD for the added clarity, level of detail and definition but in the aspect ratio as it was originally intended. I'm even abivalent about the CGI. I would much rather have them use the original filmed elements of the models and incorporate them anew, instead of all out CGI.

As for all the great photoshopping that has been done, I'm not convinced. People have been mostly using wide shots. Cropping the image during action scenes and close ups is a lot harder and it will affect the composition.

I may be a purist, but I hope that the point of the remastering process is preserving the show, not revamping it to make it cooler for new viewers. In the case of TOS, CBS got it right. I hope they will (and really expect them to) take the same approach for TNG.

20. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Of course...but it simulates the same effect seen in the TATV footage. I doubt one person complained about the STNG stuff used in TATV. 98% of fans probably won't notice a change in the 16:9 HD if used either.

So you don't want to change the format cause there MAY be a boom mike in .05% of the shots on the negatives?? They can easily photoshop that small percentage away.

It's not "good enough", it looks better to me.

RAMA

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.