TNG fans please identify yourselves ...

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Gold Grizzly, Oct 31, 2005.

1. Xaios

Xaios Commander Red Shirt

Greetings bipeds!

My name is Robert. I've lived in the frozen wastes of northern Canada for about 8 years now, although I gew up in the south. I've been a fan of Trek for literally my entire life. I was basically raised on The Next Generation, as it premiered on television when I was less than 1 year old. Obviously, I inherited my love of Star Trek from my parents. We had no compunctions referring to Star Trek as being "religious television," despite being a Christian household, to illustrate just how much my family loves Trek. In fact, we took in Star Trek weekly basically from the time TNG debuted, right through to the last episode of Deep Space Nine (which is my other favorite Trek series).

I've also come to appreciate Enterprise far more than I once did. I think that I, like many, probably felt short-changed when Firefly (which, I'll be honest, I still think is better than Enterprise) got cancelled while Enterprise stayed on the air. The Xindi storyline, however, is quite epic.

I'm too young to really be nostalgic about the original series, although the TOS-based movies are my favorite ANYTHING Trek-related. I've also never really had that much affinity for Voyager either.

With respect to "the great debate," I come down on the Picard side. ;)

Glad to meet you all!

2. Mott the barber

Mott the barber Commodore Commodore

Welcome! I totally agree about ENT. I stopped consistently watching during the 3rd season and missed basically all of the 4th the first time around. I've since gone back and rewatched both seasons and the 4th in particular is really solid with those multiple episode arcs and cannon gap-filling (Klingon ridges, Augments-Khan, etc.) which are really cool for long-time fans. It's too bad it really hit its stride when the ratings were too far gone at that point to earn a renewal.

3. Nacluv

Nacluv Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Better late than never, I guess...

20 year old guy from Sweden who grew up with seeing TNG and VOY (which I never learned to like) on TV, as well as Wrath of Khan several times. The first time I ever saw a TOS episode was after buying The Best of TOS DVD so even if I love TOS a little bit more, TNG has obviously been with me for a much, much longer time and I've never had any doubts where I stand in the long, nerdy debate of Kirk Vs. Picard. I like Picard more both as a captain and as a character. Besides, I find it much more easier relating to him both as an introvert and lover of music.

I work as a factory coordinator of major appliances, and I'd like to think that my childhood of idolizing Picard as a captain has inspired me in my leadership and my sense of structure and organization.

Otherwise, my life has almost since I was a baby revolved around movies and that interest and many other hobbies has some tendencies to take over my whole life with my brain sometimes prioritizing it as the most important things in the world. To put it laconically , I'm a huge nerd with many big interests and those hobbies have a profound effect and importance to my everyday life, and Star Trek is one of them. Not even my girlfriend has a chance of coming between me and Star Trek.

4. Sexy Human

Sexy Human Lieutenant

I am sexy human.

Son of almost as sexy of a human, but not quite.

5. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    ^
    I like where this is heading. ™

6. Dankokoro

Dankokoro Ensign Red Shirt

Hi i'm new,

Grew up watching TNG but was probably too young to really appreciate it. Got back in to it a couple of years ago when i randomly caught it on TV - We don't have many channels in NZ that show Sci-Fi re-runs. I recently made my GF watch the whole series..emphasis on made.. took her like a season and a half to reluctantly admit she enjoyed it, even though i kind of gathered because she complained less and less.

Anyway, i love the show, it could be my favourite show of all time.. definitely top 3.

Favourite episodes:

Darmok (the first episode i randomly saw on TV a couple of years ago that got me back in to it - just happened to be one of the best episodes (imo))
    All good things (incredible way to end the show)

I look forward to discussing the show!

7. deep_edward

deep_edward Ensign Red Shirt

Hi everyone! I'm 33, from Texas, and a lifelong TNG fan. I'm rewatching it now for the first time in years and it's interesting to note my reactions to it now and how they've changed/stayed the same. I'm currently up to Season 5 and just finished Unification, which was one of my favorites (I totally did not remember that Denise Crosby was in that one).

Some other impressions:

- Season 1 didn't suck as much as I remember. I didn't realize that they killed off Tasha Yar as early in the series as they did. I still hate the uniforms.

- I didn't hate Dr. Pulaski as much as I did the first go-round, but I still didn't like her much. Season 2 had some really great episodes.

- Guinan appeared in far more episodes than I remember.

- I had a bit of a crush on Wesley Crusher the first time around, but watching it now, he is kind of annoying and I was glad to see him go. He stuck around way longer than I remember (a regular into the 4th season).

- I still prefer bearded Riker, and I still hate Troi's turquoise dress. And I hate those ridiculous tights they had her in the rest of the time. When did they finally put her in a regular uniform? Season 6?

8. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

I am 48 years old, 49 next month! I grew up with TOS so I really had a closed mind to TNG. But I began watching it around season 4 and became hooked. I love it as equally as I love TOS. Right now I am in the middle of watching the entire series on DVD.

9. Captain McBain

Captain McBain Captain Captain

I am 33. My head is in one piece, however. Favorite character is Data. I really do not like Ensign Haskell.

10. Horta_Jr.

Horta_Jr. Ensign Red Shirt

Hello world, I'm Lou. When TNG first aired in my area, I was 14 or so. Everyone I knew at the time, friends and family, were all very absorbed with the series from the get-go. Not quite sure if its the writing, casting, or the damned cool scenerios, but I have always held this series is the highest regard, easly on-tier with the Classic Trek in my eyes.

Oh, not sure if this latter film is hated or loved by the fans as a whole, but I absolutely love 'First Contact'. The whole Cochrane thing, drunken Troi, Woodard/Stewart scenes, the music - Brilliant!

:beer:

11. Rory1080p

Rory1080p Lieutenant Red Shirt

hiya :) im Rory, im a 23 year old International Relations student in the UK!

been a huge TNG fan since I was a kid when I used to watch it on TV and my mum bought me VHS tapes of the show when I did well at school :D now watch repeats of the show on TV whenever I can and have most of the series on DVD and just got season 1 on blu-ray which im really enjoying re-watching!

fave characters are Picard and Data!

fave episode is the Best of Both Worlds :)

12. Worf's Beard

Worf's Beard Lieutenant Red Shirt

New here, so this is probably the best place to start.

I'm relatively old (born in the sixties) and remember watching the original series back in the early seventies. Naturally, I've watched them several times since. I also watched TNG when it first came out and have watched them several times since, too. It's close, but I do, on the whole, prefer TNG to TOS, but only just and I won't passionately defend one against the other. Can't we just get along? ;)

My favourite character is the vehicle that carries me around on his chin: Worf. He seems a fish out of water amongst the crew, but he tries hard, and his determination, sense of honour and loyalty wins through. Picard is also a favourite, too.

Not too keen on Wesley (is there anyone who is?). Troi annoys me occasionally (although Sirtis does well with the character). Still, I can live with both of them.

Liked the episodes that featured the Crystaline Entity, which really tested out the Prime Directive to its limit. Oh, Q is fun, too.

Well, hope to stay here and contribute. Thanks for reading.

13. trekmom

trekmom Ensign Red Shirt

Hello! I'm new here, too. I'm a 35 year old Minnesotan dance mom of 2 little girls who make endless fun of my Trek obsession. I'm proud to say that I own a fabulous sparkly comm badge necklace!

I started watching Trek as a teenager while on the phone with my boyfriend. He dared me to watch an episode (TOS), and I loved it! I since have moved on to TNG and Voyager as my favorite series. I didn't like DS 9 or Enterprise as much-maybe I just couldn't get into the characters? I love reading the relaunch novels and immersing myself in the fantastical world that is Star Trek. :)

If I had to pick a few favorite episodes of TNG, I think the de-evolution episode where Troi de-evolved into a fish, and Riker a Neanderthal was one of my favorites. I also liked the Mark Twain episode with Guinan (wasn't Whoopi a fantastic Guinan? No one else could have done the character justice!). Love Q, too.

Favorite character has to be Riker.

Looking forward to participating in the forum!

14. laika

laika Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Hey there! I am 23 and I live in Madison, Wisconsin. I haven't been a TNG fan for long, just got into it within the past year actually. I remember watching Voyager with my dad when I was younger. I had no grasp of the themes and story lines, but I loved the visuals and it was a great bonding experience for me. Now, as an adult, discussing Star Trek (especially TNG and Voyager) with my dad continues to be very fun! I love hearing other peoples' ideas and perspectives. As far as TNG characters go, I'd have to say my favorite is Dr. Crusher ...and my least favorite is Riker... While I do definitely think that his character is well written and complex, I just don't like him! As in, if I were to meet him on the street, I'd walk the other way :rolleyes:

15. laika

laika Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

YES!!:techman:

16. Mrs Q

Mrs Q Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

TNG is being shown here in the U.K on PickTV at the moment, we're currently on series 3 and I'd forgotten how much I love this programme!
    I wasn't old enough to watch when it first aired so didn't start watching until 10 or 12 years ago when it was repeated on BBC2. I don't think they showed every series, so hopefully PickTV will.
    My mum watched the original series when she was a child and we used to watch the repeats on the BBC, which must have been around 15 years ago. I enjoyed it, even though I thought it was very 60's and quite cheesey, but I mean that in a good way.
    TNG is my favourite Star Trek by a mile. I didn't like Voyager much. I think because I didn't like the characters, except for Tuvok and The Doctor, I didn't really care about what happened to them. I've never seen DS9, and even though I tried really hard to like Enterprise I couldn't get into it at all.
    My favourite characters are Picard, Data (I love him), Wesley (yes really), Geordi, Worf and Q (who I also love, hence my username).
    I'm not going to say which my favourite episodes are because it'll take to long, but any episode where Data has a big part or that has Q in it is always a favourite.

17. delancie

delancie Cadet Newbie

Hello everyone! New Trek BBSer here... been a fan of the series since I was just a little kid watching the new TNG episodes with my father and our friends.

Add me to the long list of folks who just love Q. Best... Character... Ever.

I have a poster of him on a horse from "Q-Pid" that I got out of some star trek magazine on my wall.

Also, I'm producing a TNG "Sierra-style" adventure game. I've got a thread opened in the "Trek Gaming" board on this site with more details about that if you're interested!

Looking forward to meeting everyone.
    Ian

18. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Welcome aboard!

19. Minuet

Minuet Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The marvelous progressive utopia of California
    I'm just informing all of you, I might post far more than I need to. I might annoy everyone with rambling posts of unfocused, unrefined Trekbabble. Just a forewarning.

I'm a TNG fan. I grew up with the show. The first episode I saw on television that was brand new was The Best of Both Worlds, watching with my dad, and it blew me away. I was hooked. I ate up every last bit of Star Trek afterwards, from TOS to (eventually) Enterprise. I (unlike most) idolized Wesley. I wanted to be like him, despite the fact that I'm female. (I suppose if they went with Leslie instead of Wesley, I might have been that much more enraptured with the character, but in the end it really doesn't matter, I just loved the idea of a young person like myself kicking it with the adults and solving cosmic issues. In retrospect, Wesley was pretty annoying--of course he got better over time--but now, looking back as an adult, I still think he's perhaps unfairly hated. He's at the worst poorly written, I guess.)

Anyway--hello!

20. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Welcome aboard!