Star Trek: Axanar

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Linnear, Sep 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Captain Atkin

Captain Atkin Captain Captain

Of all the Star Trek fan-films that are in production right now, this is the one that excites me the most. It just keeps looking better and better! :)

2. feek61

feek61 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Looks frickin' amazing!!!!

Looking forward to more! :)

3. Loken

Loken Lieutenant Commander

Right now I am at the Star Trek: Phase II shoot. Yesterday, David Gerrold, the Star Trek legend who wrote The Trouble with Tribbles, and is now the new Star Trek: Phase II Show Runner, asked to read my script for Axanar. Today, he told me in front of the crew that it was a good script and close to being ready for filming. I was shocked and humbled. It is, after all, my first script. Much thanks to Dave Galanter who worked as story editor and John Muenchrath who started with me on this journey by dragging my ass into the Robert McKee screen writing seminar. David went on to give me notes, tell me what he really liked, and said he wants to be on set for the filming this fall. It is starting to get really fun.

Alec

4. Bixby

Bixby Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

While I'm not going to discourage you from getting what you wish from McKee's methods, I prefer a different hands-on approach for screenwriting. I check out original scripts online, such as ones that survived to screen mostly untouched by the director (Scarface, Basic Instinct for example), and also read scripts that were heavily re-written (Zombieland for one).

Getting insights from established screenwriters is also good: I bought Joe Eszterhas' book which was a personal epiphany and remains a book I reread on a yearly basis. It has many pearls of wisdom inside from amazing writers such as Paddy Chayefsky.

I'm glad you got great praise from Gerrold, and I also am looking forward to your project with great interest...

5. Loken

Our first shoot is scheduled for the Fall Phase II shoot. We will be shooting for 10 days Starting September 22nd.

Thanks to James Cawley for rolling out the red carpet for us!

Alec

6. Danlav05

Danlav05 Commodore Commodore

How great! Production on a few fanfilm projects seem to be picking up, Renegades shoots in the fall too.

7. Loken

And we are about to announce that David Gerrold has joined the "Axanar" team as creative consultant. David is helping get the second draft of the script ready for filming.

Alec

8. surak-toc

surak-toc Commander Red Shirt

really looking forward to this

9. Titan Designer

Titan Designer Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

[​IMG]

Here is something I created for the team tonight featuring the Ares.
    Enjoy.

U.S.S. Ares designed by Sean P. Tourangeau
    U.S.S. Ares mesh by Tobias Richter
    Nebulae by Ali Ries

Here is a link to the larger file.
    http://hammerheadgraphics.iwarp.com/Ares.jpg

10. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Stunning. A graceful ship, she be.

Mark

11. Titan Designer

[​IMG]

Here is a another wallpaper I created for the Star Trek Axanar production I am apart of. This production goes before the cameras later this year. Please keep an eye here for what ever updates I can give as the production moves forward.

Link to the larger http://hammerheadgraphics.iwarp.com/AxanarBorderPatrol.jpg

U.S.S. Ares designed by Sean P. Tourangeau
    Planetoid Ries-DeSalle-Drexler Alpha One by Sean P. Tourangeau
    U.S.S. Ares mesh by Tobias Richter
    Nebulae by Ali Ries

12. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Looks good guys!

13. DCR

DCR Commander Red Shirt

I'm still not sure how much I like the Ares' design, but that picture is beautiful.

14. Loken

Hey, we have plenty of other ships for you to like!

:-)

Alec

15. DCR

DCR Commander Red Shirt

I liked the pic enough to put it into my desktop rotation :) - it's even the one up right now.

16. Titan Designer

The Pre-TOS design era is a tough one to design. There are many different designs that are leading up to the Enterprise not everyone is going to like every design. With the Ares I tried to meet every thing that Alec wanted and we went back and forth refining the design until we were ready for Tobias to do his magic. He even refined it even more and I think you will like what she looks like in action against the Klingons when the time comes.

17. DCR

DCR Commander Red Shirt

I'm not sure exactly what it is, but the design looks sleeker and more advanced to my eyes than the TOS design era ships. It might be as simple a thing as the lack of vertical separation between design elements.

It's not a bad design at all, it's just taking me a bit to reconcile it with my preconceived notions of what a Pre-TOS ship should look like.

18. captainkirk

captainkirk Commodore Commodore

I'm just happy that it's not another Constitution kitbash like everyone else's TOS-era designs.

19. Titan Designer

That is what I wanted to avoid when I designer her. Yes it still has a saucer and yes it still has Nacelles but what put it all together was the unique secondary hull.

20. Loken

Actually, the basic shape was my idea and Sean fleshed it out. I was always a fan of the USS Centaur from DS9 and wanted a ship with that basic look with the addition of an attached secondary hull. I thought the big distinction of the Ares would be this, that it did NOT look like the Enterprise, but you could draw a line from one to the other.

[​IMG]

The other big influence was this:

[​IMG]

Then we just had to make both ships fit into a pre-TOS timeline. You might disagree about what you think a pre-TOS ship should look like, but it is a tough process, since we have no reference.

Alec

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.