American Horror Story Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Starbreaker, Oct 5, 2011.

?

How Would You Grade The Episode?

1. Awesome

25.0%
  2. Above Average

54.2%
  3. Average

4.2%
  4. Below Average

8.3%
  5. Horrible

8.3%
  1. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=Dl2g1S6nk20[/yt]

1x01 Pilot

2. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: American Horror Story (FX) 1x01 Pilot (Grading/Discussion)

Looking forward to this one. The new shows have been pretty meh so far...

3. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

The television critics I like to read and often agree with (Alan Sepinwall, Daniel Fienberg, Maureen Ryan) have been pretty down on the episodes of this that they've seen, but I can't help but be interested anyway.

4. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

This is on tonight? Geez, I thought we were still months away ... Gotta set the DVR!

5. Temis the Vorta

October is when most of the new sf/f shows are debuting! And The Walking Dead returns as well. Good thing, I'm getting bored of teen vampires...

AHS doesn't have to be very good. I'll settle for sleazy fun.

6. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

Yeah, the quotes they posted in the ad are pretty out of context. I haven't really seen any critics saying it's good. I think it's going to be a train wreck but that might be fun and since I love horror I'm going to check it out. I have really low expectations, though.

7. Temis the Vorta

LA Times review.

Covers some plot points of the premiere, so I just scanned it for the gist. Yes, it's a mess. Whether or not it's an entertaining mess probably depends on how much you like over-the-top insanity. :D

8. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I am so adding this show to my watch list.

half way through this and I all ready love it. what the show needs for fun is guest Horror writers. I would love to see stephen king do an episode this is so him.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  9. JWD75

JWD75 Commander Red Shirt

Being that I am a big fan of horror and the haunted house genre, I thought that it was excellent. I've been waiting for something like this for a long time. Though my wife telling me how hot Dylan McDermott was during his nude scenes got a little annoying.

10. sidious618

It was bad but ambitious. I'll keep watching to see how it turns out.

11. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm not sure how I feel about it. I think they had very little subtley when it came to the 'scares'. It felt over the top and not always in a good way. However, I think there's something there with the married couple and their marriage problems, and how that can play into the horror that's to come. I also thought the young version of the maid was pretty hot. I think at times American Horror is trying too hard and at other times not hard enough, from what I could tell from the pilot.

12. sidious618

I agree with this. The couple should not have resolved their problems so quickly. There was a lot of drama to get out of it but then they brushed over it too quickly and we got the "I'm pregnant!" reveal at the end which was :rolleyes:. Still, like I said above, it's ambitious and I love horror so I want to see where it ends up.

13. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I really enjoyed it. There was a lot going on and it seemed to go by pretty quickly. I'm very interested to see what is going on with the maid. I hope somebody has already posted 25,000 screencaps too. There were lots of subliminal images throughout the whole episode.

14. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't know what I just watched. A lot of things "happened" but I'm not so sure what the story actually is.

15. Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit Commodore Commodore

This is pretty much how I felt. Like, it seemed to be a randomly strung together sequence of interesting ideas with not much cohesion. I don't have much hope any of it will really be explained, but I'll probably watch anyways. Because it was still somewhat interesting.

16. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

from my understanding of the pilot:

the original owner of the house was the scared medical doctor who burned and murdered his family. then we have the gay couple who bought the house and ended up dead with murder suicide. and then we have the twins who I believe were the third victims of the house directly.

Now the woman who sold the house to the family is one of the spirts as is the maid and the fucked up kid who is hanging out with the daughter. the neighbors are really fucked up especially the little girl <(who I think is a rip off from the shining.) we all so have the spirt in the black sex gear who was fucking the wife.

now didi I miss any thing and whats not to get. this is going to be simmilar to the shining but more complex.

17. sidious618

I don't think the doctor was the original owner. It seems to have been around far longer than him.

18. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

They said the house was built in about 1920 or so by a Doctor. when did Dennis O'hare's (the burnt guy) character live in the house? i am assuming it was sometime right before the Gay couple.

19. Lookingglassman

Lookingglassman Admiral Admiral

I was watching this with a white friend and she asked me how come there wasn't any black people on this show and I told her black folks would have moved at the first sign of ghosts and the show would have ended.

20. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Co-Sign. I wouldn't have even had that crazy boy over at my house. I would have my office somewhere else. I think one of the things that will try my patience if I continue to watch this show is wonder when the heck they are going to wise up and leave. This series might work better as an anthology opposed to focusing on one family.