Action Figures

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Janeway’s Girl, Jul 28, 2014.

1. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

Well, I can only speak for myself, but I have to disagree.

I don't necessarily see the few items I own as an investment, I mostly like having them. I like displaying them (livingroom space allowing). Of course I wouldn't rule out selling some of the more limited collector's editions of video games or merch I own, but only if the value increases very, very substantially and I certainly don't plan to do so when I'm buying them.

2. Janeway’s Girl

Janeway’s Girl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Voyager. Specifically Captain Janeway and The Doctor. I am toying with Amazon.com. There are a few sellers that have excellent reviews.

3. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

I buy 2 and keep one in the box.
    Usually though its to keep one set intact while my boy loses the pieces to the other while playing with it.

Are there really any Star Trek figures that have gone up tremendously in value over the years?

4. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

First of all, "investment," in terms of tangible assets, does not imply an intent to sell.

Second, you can do all those things you mentioned after opening the package, provided you take care doing so and save the packaging for storage.

The only logical reason one would choose not to ever "break the seal" would be to ensure optimal appreciative gain.

5. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

The more older and rare (not widely distributed) figures have, but not so much those made within the past 20-25 years, with a few notable exceptions, naturally.

The things that have really gone up big in value are ship and role-play toys as well as the more obscure novelty toys.

6. Armored Saint

Armored Saint Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

TROI Action-Figure: No. No, please, leave me alone.
    LEADHEAD: No you are mine.
    RIKER Action-Figure: Not so fast LeadHead.

7. LeadHead

LeadHead Director of Comedy Premium Member

Got that all wrong, Armored Saint. Usually Troi is asking me to get Riker off of her.

8. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

Well, I was going with the term "investment" in the context of finance, not economics. An increase in equity would be the expectation.

In economics, you're definitely right, investment does not imply any intent of a future sale.

9. LordMudd

LordMudd Captain Captain

The only figures I am aware of with any real value are the 6 Mego 3.75 inch aliens, of which I have 5. They quickly rose in value and have held that value over time. Loose they go for about $75, MiP $150. Due to rarity I have seen people try to get more than $1,000 on Ebay. Back in '91 I had a dealer at a con try to sell me the set of 6 for $300 each. That might have been ok for MoMC figures then, but his cards were not mint and I told him so. He would not budge on the price and ended up taking them back home with him.

Another reason why I prefer loose figures.

CCC.