'Up the Long Ladder': no one ever mentions this...

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by LMFAOschwarz, Oct 15, 2013.

1. LMFAOschwarz

LMFAOschwarz Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Everyone always goes on about racist/stereotyped Irish presentations, sketchy genetic science, etc. However, the thing this episode always reminds me of is a passing remark by Riker.

I haven't seen the episode in years, so I'm paraphrasing the scene, but in the cargo bay, which was full of goats, hay, etc., Riker said something to the effect of, "Don't worry about it, the ship cleans itself."

This was, to my knowledge, never brought up again. Which is probably just as well. With transporter technology and such, the idea seems at least somewhat conceivable. But how would that work? How does the ship (i.e. computer) distinguish between "junk" and "stuff"? What's to keep Geordi's under-construction model of the HMS Victory from being dissolved away, for example? :shrug:

2. Tiberius

Tiberius Commodore Commodore

I think it refers to things like spilled water or liquids, dirt in the carpet, scuffs on screens, etc. It doesn't pick up your clothes as Jenna D'Sora found out.

3. LMFAOschwarz

Oh, ok, that makes more sense when you put it that way. :)

4. FreddyE

FreddyE Captain Captain

Hmm...so I guess parents canĀ“t just say "Put your toys away or the ship will dematerialise them" ;-)

5. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

But they could say, "Put your toys away, or next time I pick them up I'll put them in the replicator for recycling."

6. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"Next time you wet your bed little boy, the ship will dematerialize you. Think about it." ;)

7. LMFAOschwarz

Sounds like The Star Trek Afternoon Special :guffaw:

8. Tiberius

Tiberius Commodore Commodore

"Yes, Billy, the computer was once a little girl who didn't put her toys away before dinner, and now she's stuck inside there forever!"

9. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Picard laughing at the absurdity of the Bringloidi, is that the first time we see that side of his personality? I hardly remember him even smiling in the first two seasons.

10. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Riker is an elitist asshole The ship has a team of under-employed janitors who go around cleaning the ship every night that Riker just assumes don't exist.

Yeah, that was a nice moment from him and, you're right, I think the first time we see Picard's guard fall and we see him shine out.

11. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well I can jump on Riker for a lot of things, but calling him elitist because of the ship's handwave cleaning system isn't one of them. If you want to jump on something he did this episode how about phasering a couple of fully developed clones.

12. Melakon

Picard was remembering the days when Patrick Stewart was some hick rube in Yorkshire.

13. LMFAOschwarz

OOPS!! :eek:

Stupid me, waking up too early and trying to do my posts before work: halfway to work, it occurred to me that I mis-typed my above post. That should read The Star Trek After School Special. In my careless haste I ruined my own joke.. :brickwall:

14. Melakon

^ :guffaw:LMFAO @ schwarz

15. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

Funny, I didn't even notice. In my reading haste, I read "The Star Trek After School Special."

16. LMFAOschwarz

:lol: