DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Why worry about what fits or doesn't? If it shows up in an issue, it fits. Until then assume it doesn't.

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's not really "worrying" about what fits or doesn't, it is the fact that the timeline as they have it now makes absolutely no sense and is just plain silly. Some of the stuff that has cropped up already just has made me laugh out loud at the ridiculousness of it. *Shrugs*.

3. Nerys Myk

I'm not gonna sweat it, myself. As long as I enjoy the book I don't care whats happening in other books. I pretty much over the shared universe thing driving the storytelling.

4. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

All comics are "just filler." So, for that matter, is most entertainment and sports of any kind. JLA is no more or less "filler" than anything else I've seen published by DC or Marvel...ever, actually. All that matters to me is that JLA entertains me - I rarely bought DC comics in the ten years or so before the nuDC, because when I did they didn't hold my interest (GL would be the exception).

Exactly - I'm not having a problem here. Of course, it helps that I didn't give a fuck about the oldDC. They say that Superman still died? Okay, I remember paying a lot of attention to that at the time, so I guess I'm glad it's still around.

5. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

You'll go crazy trying to make continuity fit from what was before. However, with the exception of GL and Batman, it seems like it is largely a clean slate for most the characters.

6. Admiral_Young

Oh I haven't tried making anything fit...it's simply too silly to do that :) Although I'm sure if EJA were around he'd have made an attempt.

7. Admiral Buzzkill

I'm getting pretty bored with Superboy. Not liking the art too much, either - though that's probably just because Caitlin used to be hot when she muscled up, and in this version she just looks like the Hulk. Bummer.

Supergirl is still pretty enjoyable.

8. Admiral_Young

The last issue was really lack luster and Lobdell is dragging out the "mystery" of Superboy's creation. There's too much going on in the book IMO. I thought it started out interesting but it is starting to teeter on being dropped.

9. Admiral Buzzkill

One problem is that Superboy's narration is detached, deadpan and flat. This is suitable for the character and would be a nice contrast with the humans - except that they also come across as detached and unfeeling. Even dialogue and behavior which is supposed to be angry and menacing is unpersuasive, and almost everyone sounds alike.

10. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Justice League Dark #4

This opening arc is really starting to accumulate a body count. One has to wonder how other heroes don't show up really. I know this is the intro arc for getting these guys together and we have about half of them together at this point. I'm ready for the wrap up at this point. This issue was starting to lose my interest. This probably should've been one of the 4 issue arcs in the nu52.

11. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I just realized something. The New 52 Superboy is just like the "Young Justice" cartoon version, alien and aloof.

12. Broccoli

^ Yup. Something tells me that's intentional.

13. Admiral Buzzkill

Yeah, as long as they're rebooting the character, pushing him a little closer to a popular incarnation in a mass medium has some logic to it.

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Isn't it pretty common for a reboot of a character to line up more with the latest TV or movie version?

15. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I just read Teen Titans #4. So... Superboy is a few weeks old... and he's never met Wonder Girl...

So, basically, doesn't that mean that "Death and Return of Superman" didn't happen? Geoff Johns' Teen Titans run *definitely* didn't happen. Wouldn't it also mean that Infinite Crisis didn't happen? And thusly that Brother Eye / OMAC didn't happen... that 52 didn't happen...

Also, Bart mentions he has no memory of who he is he was dropped off at an orphanage. So, the entire Impulse character doesn't exist anymore either, then?

16. Nerys Myk

Those are all reasonable conclusions to draw from the material presented.

17. Admiral_Young

Death of Superman is supposed to have happened in the New 52 according to DiDio. The Teen Titans have never met each other before. It's safe to conclude that the majority of events from the DCU didn't happen. The only things that we really know which have carried on from before are Batman's continuity along with Green Lantern's and the Legion future.

18. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Well, we also saw a different origin of Steel (John Henry Irons) in Action Comics. So I guess if Death & Return of Superman happened.... then there weren't any Replacement Supermen? Or maybe it was only Cyborg Superman and the Eradicator? I gotta assume Cyborg-S still exists since he figures prominently in the Green Lantern franchise now and that golden calf was left untouched... :lol:

Next thing you'll tell me Supergirl wasn't a protoplasmic shapeshifting blob called Matrix who was schtupping Lex Luthor, who was really a redheaded clone of his original body but nobody knew it. Madness, I tells ya! :mad: :eek:

19. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

I miss the red headed clone of Lex Luthor.

20. Broccoli

Here is an interesting analysis about the sales of the New 52 centering around November.

That was a pretty epic storyline considering how long it lasted and it never really got convoluted.