Happy 19th Birthday, Star Trek Generations!

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by cooleddie74, Nov 18, 2013.

1. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Nexus is a very artifical way to "bring the generations" (ie, Kirk and Picard) together.

Personally, I'd have prefered it if the Kirk and Picard strains of the plot had remained almost entirely seperate, but linked only in that they are each maybe facing the same problem 78 years apart. But then I also think people might have been disappointed with a movie that has Kirk and Picard in it, but doesn't actually see them interact with each other directly on screen. Unless somewhere near the end of the movie the ability for them to contact each other through time was established? Then again, it still wouldn't be seeing the two guys 'together' on-screen, would it, if their contact was limited to being over the view-screen.

2. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Have the villain exist outside linear time, tell Kirk's and Picard's story parallel, and when they both attack the bad guy's time machine homebase, both timelines meet. Both Enterprises exist and fight together, and Kirk and Picard can shake hands before destroying the time machine.

Similar to when all ships meet in All Good Things. But then people would have shouted “Ripoff!“

3. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

^ During the Generations commentary, I believe Braga and Moore said that the original idea fro Generations was to do a retelling of "Yesterday's Enterprise". However they were concerned that people would complain about the unoriginality of redoing an episode for the big screen.

@Lance: I had a similar idea for Generations. It would've been so cool to tell a film that way. However the mandates from Paramount were pretty strict on what THEY wanted to see in the film. It's unfortunate.

4. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    I didn't know this old cassette existed. If I ever did, I forgot long ago.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgZxLmPlozE[/yt]

5. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Christ, do we need to be reminded how old we're getting? 19 years...jez...

6. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Think that's something? ST:TMP is about to turn 34 in a few short days. "The Cage" was originally filmed 49 years ago this past week.

7. Khan 2.0

Khan 2.0 Commodore Commodore

I think most fans (and even non fans) wre kind of expecting something like YE to be the crossover movie. i remember seeing what mustve been the first pics from Generations in a sf mag of Kirk on the bridge and being totally blown away….id not been following Trek after VI thinking that was it for the original crew (id lost track of TNG and had no interest in DS9) and had no idea they were making another movie (think they were just calling it ‘Star Trek VII’ at that point) let alone one with the original cast and TNG so i immediatly thought it was going to be “Yesterdays Enterprise” done big as the brief article stated time travel was involved and in the pic Shatner looked to be on the Ent A bridge. Even The teaser trailer actually looked like it was going to be abit YE

8. Khan 2.0

yes it couldve been a Godfather Part II-style film intercutting the two generations dealing with the same macguffin in their eras like the Federation novel from 1994. Plus, potentially, Spock, McCoy and Scotty could have appeared in both eras.

9. Trek Survivor

Trek Survivor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It wasn't just Paramount that wanted the two captains to meet. That's all the fandom was talking about. Sure, with hindsight we can look at other options as 'preferable' but at the time, fans would've been outraged if Shatner and Stewart had not shared a decent-ish amount of screen time together.

10. Chrono85

Chrono85 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

This is the first Trek movie that I saw in the theatre, and its weird to imagine how long ago it was, and that I was only 9 years old!

11. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

I'm pretty sure the fans had something other in mind than the two captains buttering toast together.

12. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

^Like... riding horses??:wtf:

13. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Generations should've been a TNG movie, all the way - without Shatner's involvement and his self-serving inclusions and rewrites! I found out, only recently in fact, because of this "birthday," that in the novelisation (or a novelisation) the Nexus is nothing more than a whimsical Q creation, which was left carelessly discarded and forgotten about. Hateful, how lazy writers can be. Despite it's many and obvious shortcomings, Generations at least tries to entertain - and the TNG cast looks great!

14. Khan 2.0

quote from Branga
    “I think that Kirk and Picard should have been locked in battle on spaceships, on their respective bridges, and not cooking eggs.”

15. Khan 2.0

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  16. JarodRussell

But the idea that Kirk and Picard fight each other is incredibly stupid.

17. Trek Survivor

Trek Survivor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yep. However they tried to justify it, it would have been very contrived.

And of course fans had something other in mind than the two captains buttering toast together, but I did like that "calm before the storm" scene, even if the 'storm' was eventually a little disappointing.

18. JarodRussell

The idea itself is contrived. WHY do Picard and Kirk, who are 100 years apart, have to meet? Why?

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztABYog5x3o[/yt]

19. Khan 2.0

who says theyd be fighting each other?

20. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Why not?

It's no different than sports fans comparing teams from different eras and dreaming of seeing them take on one another on the field.

Picard vs. Kirk would be tricky too pull off, but not impossible.