How to know when you're too old for your clothes

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Gary7, Jan 25, 2013.

1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Where I live that's called uptight.

Seriously, your pain threshold?! It's diversity and living in a society where people feel free to wear what they like and decorate themselves as they like when walking down the street is a something to celebrated. It didn't just happen, it's a result of years of other kinds fights for acceptance. It's the spillover of a more liberal society that doesn't judge people on sexual preferences, ethnicity, religious beliefs, a society that allows personal choices in the matter of identity. You don't have to look far to find societies where stuff we might take for granted (cross dressing for instance) is an abomination and will get you in legal trouble.

Try enjoying the personal freedoms your society has evolved to accepting. They don't have to be your choices to be something to celebrate.

2. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

Link: Tall and Fat

Seriously, in America there are big-and-tall stores everywhere. Don't they have those in the UK?

3. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

You have my attention. :adore:

4. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

Which was my point in the second half of my post which you chose not to quote.

5. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes RH you said this:

In which you say there is no right or wrong, it's all taste.

But that's quite in contrast to your other posts, including this :

And this:

Not quite a celebration of diversity. People not covering their tattoos are violating your rights? They shouldn't be forced upon the world by being on exposed skin? So no, you did not make the same point I did about diversity at all.

6. rhubarbodendron

but I did point out every time that it was my personal opinion.
    And that was your point, wasn't it, that everyone should be allowed to have their own opinion?
    And that this variety of opinions is something positive (on which we both agree).

So, on the whole we agree to disagree and that this disagreement is something agreeable..., kindof..., errrr... argh! Sorry, this early in the morning parts of my brain are still in a semi-coma.

I think we both mean basically the same thing, only I am too clumsy to explain it properly.
    We both think different opinions are good because they make life interesting and they open us a new perspective. And we both think that everyone is entitled to have their own opinion and shouldn't force it upon others.
    I believe, so far I got it right?

Now, the point where the misunderstanding lies, I believe, is that I was so clumsy to create the impression that I wanted everyone to share my view (for example by forcing people to cover ugly tattoos or to pull up their pants).
    That is not precisely what I meant.
    What I did mean is: I, individually, as a person, find unartistic tattoes and baggy pants so ugly that they make me want to puke. I *wish* that I could be spared these views but am fully aware that I have no right to *demand* it.
    As I loathe these two particular fashion trends so deeply, I protested them so passionately that the fact that I expressed a wish (or a hope rather, to be honest) somehow didn't show clearly enough.

IIRC someone in an early post said a certain fashion ought to lead to capital punishment. If memory serves it was the wrong way baseball cap. I should perhaps have used a similarly drastic phrase to make it plain that I didn't make a suggestion.

Sorry about the misunderstanding.

7. Retu

Retu Commander Red Shirt

Being a fat bastard myself, I can tell that finding a good pair of trousers is a bit tricky sometimes. Here they seem to take "big and tall" a bit too seriously, since every time I find a pair of trousers with fitting waist, they are too long. :lol: And I'm not even that short (about 177 cm, 5' 10").

Yes, there are shops for big guys, but they usually are located in the larger shopping malls and such malls are not too common here in Finland. So you might have to drive around a bit, unless you live in a "big" city (none of them can be considered big in global scale).

8. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

If you on either end of what is considered normal, you could have difficulty clothes shopping.

9. rhubarbodendron

which is why I am knitting my own sweaters and sewing my own blouses and Jeans. They are cheaper and sturdier, too

10. Mary Ann

Mary Ann Knitting is honourable Admiral

Not in my part of the country, at least not in my city. I'm sure London has shops like that, and possibly larger cities like Birmingham and Manchester, but they're quite a trek from where I am. Good thing my husband weighs 4 stone less than me. ;)