FX/editing wishlist/technical/related discussion for STNG-R

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by RAMA, May 11, 2011.

1. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: What new FX/editing do you want to see in the STNG-R?

While we're at it, how about a 3D conversion?

2. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

If there is a market for it, why not? Personally I don't require this.

It continually amazes me how supposedly "enlightened" SF fans are so stodgy and unimaginative. They just love to stand pat, never evolving their thought process, and thinking "in the box".

RAMA

3. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

They can be creative as they want in any "new" endeavors they decide to pursue. But when they're screwing with other peoples work they should be judicious.

4. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Unfortunately, that box is mostly a real one which will result from whatever budget CBS provides for this project. Star Trek Remastered didn't have a lot of money, and this will be more expensive (simply on the basis of there being more episodes).

I also have to wonder who will be in charge of this. It's quite possible, being much more recent than the original Star Trek, that people's whose work is being "screwed with," so to speak, might be more involved.

5. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Wasn't part of the point of remastering TOS to preserve it for the future and update it for HD broadcast. i.e to make more money long term.

Surely the same would apply for TNG, it's not so much to make you're money back quickly. But to make it back over 10, 20, 30 etc.. years.

6. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Exactly...and STNG made loads of money (record money in fact) in cable and syndication packages when it was first done. Its already raked in $500 million or so combined on that rights end alone...if they want to re-air it on cable, they'll make even more money...same with netflix and bluray.

RAMA

7. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

You obviously didn't read any of my posts...:shrug::shrug:

8. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

The point is to be able to keep making money on the program, yes, but I doubt Paramount wants to sink into a deep hole that won't be quickly filled by the Netflix licensing fee, home video sales, and syndication. Certainly the small budget they allocated for the remastering of Star Trek suggests that they're not willing to spend globs and globs of money that they won't be able to get back for ten or twenty years.

9. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Yes but hasn't the Star Trek franchise already earned them 100's of millions if not a few billion already.

10. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Sure, but this would be a new investment that CBS would probably want paid off quickly.

11. JarodRussell

I hope they dub Picard so he finally gets a French accent. I mean what the hell was that in the original run?

12. JRoss

JRoss Commodore Commodore

I think this is a fantastic idea. As to the argument that Paramount would not have archived the film with advanced technology and future upgrades in mind, consider that by this point in history future technology was already in development (HDTV's roots go back to the 70s) and films were being remastered.

If you don't like the idea because it is messing with someone else' vision, go to Memory Alpha, read synopses for the episodes and take note of how many changes were made to a script/episode/FX shot due to limited time, budget or other adverses circumstances. You'll find that the finished product was often a far departure from the original intent.

Why mess with a good thing? Consider the future of Trek. If it is to stay alive, new fans must be brought to the franchise. If you were to show TNG to a non-fan in hopes of converting them, do you think that they would be more likely to join based on the same shots of the Excelsior every few episodes, the weird pinkish lights that comprised a lot of the space creature and energy field FX and the now painfully obvious facial appliance seams on a lot of the aliens, or would they be more eager to be a fan if they saw a more polished product.

13. BillJ

:lol: Imagine the hell that would open up on this board if they dubbed over Stewart with a French actor. But hey, we're suppose to be fixing mistakes here. I'm sure if they had more time and money they would've went to France to get the right actor. Maybe along the way they can take Frakes out and replace him with an actor that doesn't constantly look like he's trying to push out a crap.

Last edited: May 13, 2011
  14. BillJ

But in the process you throw away an incredible amount of ingenious work done by the VFX people on this show.

15. JRoss

JRoss Commodore Commodore

Oh, no doubt, and I do respect the work of VFX people. I actually disliked much of the special edition of Star Wars because Lucas verbally disrespected the incredibly hard work of his original team and also replaced it with sometimes even worse effects. Jabba went from a life-like puppet to a gooey blob. Not cool.

For the most part what I would like to see is balancing the color scheme and fixing the throwaway shots, like the Enterprise and the Excelsior. Also, get rid of the weirder ships in the Wolf 359 graveyard and replace them with more traditional ships.

16. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

It won't be thrown away as long as they include the originals on the Blu-Ray releases, as they did with Star Trek.

17. GNDN

GNDN Commodore Commodore

Problem as I see it is that creating new CGI FX for this project is virtually guaranteed. That much is similar to TOS except that there are more episodes and more FX per episode, so that means more money. OK let's say that's all done.

Now to the original FX. They can't just be transferred to HD in the way TOS FX were. Certainly not with current technology if we want them to look any good. So to preserve the originals, they would have to recreate them from the filmed elements, which means new compositing, and possibly new animation FX (I don't know if phaser fire, etc. were done as hand drawn animation or CGI originally, and don't know if any of those FX exist on film as opposed to only the lo-res video)

So not only are you talking about a larger project to begin with, but to properly present both versions would require nearly double the work as they would be recreating past FX work and creating new CGI. I'm concerned that this will not be considered worth the effort.

18. JarodRussell

Ideally, they should mix the footage they have on film with new stuff. The space shots look excellent in HD, as you can see from the shots they reused in Generations. I'm sure that other effects that mix with live action will look excellent as well once they are recomposited in HD.

19. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Heavy drinking, maybe...

20. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Unfortunately some of the shots done by Image G and in-house were not as good as ILM's stock shots...which were only provided in season one.

They were accomplished by basically hand painting with the Quantel Harry. They would certainly be replaced a good percentage of the time.

[​IMG]

http://www.cva.co.uk/art-RD.htm

Its a shame but their work can't be seen properly in modern format. Good reason to "future proof". I'm sure if you really want they'll preserve the old episodes as well but its not really ncessary to watch it.

RAMA

Last edited: May 14, 2011