Lis Sladen

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Allyn Gibson, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

Brilliant......... damn you. :wah:

With your permission I would like to share this elsewhere

DWF loaned me a few DVDs of different Doctors recently.. and fortunately "Pyramids of Mars" was one of them. I think i will do the same as you on this tonight.

And speak of the Devil...

Very well put!

2. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

Three episodes of season five were shot and are in the can. The remaining three were scheduled for production to commence 'Spring 2011', so it's highly unlikely the series will be completed.

This is sad news, and I had no idea she was sick. Then again I had no idea Nicholas Courtney was sick either.

RIP.

3. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

My guess is that they will add the six episodes / three stories to the upcoming fourth season dvd release (which will come out, what, November?). But I think this is the end of the series.

I can only recall one other time when there was an active series running, named for the title character, that continued after the death of that character (Valerie, which eventually became "The Hogan Family") but even then, the actress was still with us. This is new territory.

4. stoneroses

stoneroses Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That is so so so sad. She was such a nice person. I imagine Saturday's episode will be dedicated to her. 63 is no age, bloody cancer...

5. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Vice Admiral Admiral

Sadly it's not mine. I thought i'd share this poignant .gif I saw on another board

6. EJA

EJA Fleet Captain

Three episodes? Well, SJA stories are always two-parters, so the last one was probably the first installment of a story that will now, sadly, go unfinished......:(

Damn, I'm upset. :( :( :(

7. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Father Ted was Channel 4, not the BBC, and at least they'd filmed all the episodes - the final episode was always intended as the final one.

8. Satyrquaze

Satyrquaze Vice Admiral Admiral

That pretty much captures my feelings on the subject right now. :weep:

9. Flibble

Flibble Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm still in shock and completely gutted by the news. She was such a lovely lady.

Sarah Jane was part of my childhood, and I can't believe she has gone.

Goodbye Lis and thank you.

R.I.P.

10. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

I *think* it's three out of six stories, rather than three individual episodes. Not quite sure though.

11. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Oh my God. I just saw this on the BBC news, came right out of the blue because I haven't been online for hours.

Shit, I can't describe how shocking that was, as soon as they mentioned her name I knew but...aw crap, it was horrible, but Courtney made sense given his age, 63's no bloody age.

Like someone else said, Lis was one of my very first crushes as a child growing up and watching Doctor Who....I just can't believe it.

RIP Lis, thanks for playing a wonderful character who meant a lot to many, many people. You won't ever be forgotten :(

12. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

I am tempted to say, they should use the filmed footage, to create a new storyline, of her death, maybe have just 1, 1 hour episode with Luke narrating his mothers final months.

That assume there is the kind of footage for that.

Even if S5 was finished, its not likely to be the right knid of ending, which may well be impossible now.

On the upside, they may have re-introduced Liz Shaw just in time, even if they only need her to finish one episode.

13. EJA

EJA Fleet Captain

Good point.

14. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm probably the only one that wants this, but I think a tribute episode with Tennant, Tom Baker and Smith would be needed

15. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

No, no, a thousand times no.

16. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

A buddy of mine from our local Doctor Who club put it very well:

17. EJA

EJA Fleet Captain

I think they should postpone the first episode of Series 6 of DW for another week, and show School Reunion this Saturday as a tribute to Ms. Sladen. I don't think it'll happen though.

18. arch101

arch101 Commodore Commodore

I want to see them. If she knew she was sick and continued to film her show, she was as brave as her fictional character and obviously wanted us to see those shows.
    Funny, on Saturday, out of the blue, I was thinking how silly it was that I never noticed how beautiful she was when I was first watching the show in the mid 70s. Of course, I was only 8 at the time, but I still felt foolish now. Very strange to be thinking that random thought on Saturday and be confronted with this tragedy today.

19. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I think they should show the episodes they've filmed, I think that's one of the best tributes she could have. Don't tie anything up, don't say anything's happened to Sarah Jane, let her continue in fiction at least.

20. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

cant even pretend to know what Liz would want, but I would think, she would want them to be shown.