50th Is "The Day Of The Doctor" (And Is 75 Minutes)

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by StCoop, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

The idea that he was concerned about typecasting comes from the BBC statement announcing his departure, which falsely attributed that sentiment to him. They eventually issued an apology: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/4410943.stm. But as the persistence of the claim shows, the damage had already been done.

2. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

How could he win? If he answered "fuck Doctor Who and the Horse he rode on in" - he'd be attacked.

If he answered "I might return one day", he'd hounded by weirdos to return.

There is no answer that would get him off the hook with the "we own you" crowd.

3. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Seems perfectly understandable to me. He's likely sick of every third interview in the past year asking him about Doctor Who, the 50th, and his involvement, specifically lack of. He's answered all these questions and discussed his feelings on this matter at great length and doesn't want it brought up while promoting another movie.

How would you feel if everyone in the entire world kept nagging you about a job you didn't like 8 years after you walked away?

4. Photoman15

Photoman15 Commodore Commodore

I'd feel that I made an impact in a job that's all based on make-believe in an industry that is the same.

5. Emperor-Tiberius

Emperor-Tiberius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You all forget my immediate post afterwards, but that said, I agree with the overall sentiment that its in his right to do what he wants and that he has stated perfectly understandable reasons for his non-return. But sometimes, curiosity kicks in - its only natural to wonder, after all.

6. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

1. That analogy would be applicable if he was asked to come back and play the same character while he was no longer contractually obligated to do so.

2. You make it sound like he HATES Doctor Who. That he is doing it on purpose. That he is being malicious. Which is a position that has no basis in fact. You are just upset that he's not interested in putting on a leather jacket, saying "FANTASTIC" for your amusement.

7. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

Christopher Eccleston is like that girl who dumped you years ago without ever telling you what precisely went wrong between her and you, and which you keep bumping into ever now and then. So yeah, it may not be fair, it may even be a bit creepy, but sometimes you feel like asking her about the end of your relationship.

8. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

What is hard to understand about:

9. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

The thing I find weird is he left that and goes on to do Heroes, The Seeker, GI Joe, Thor 2... very commercial choices...

10. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Eccleston is an actor who mixes his commercial projects with his passion projects. He'll take a role, like G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra, because it gives him a payday and a cushion so he can do other work that's more meaningful.

11. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

Nothing. His feelings are very clear. We still don't know what happened, though.

12. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

We had the ad on ABC TV last night, lookin' good.

13. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

What was wrong with the Heroes Role or "selling out" about it? It was unique at the time, a Superhero Show doing well (He was only in S1, the Heyday of heroes) in the ratings, as well as critically acclaimed and Fan adored? His role advanced the Arc in many directions (HRG's lack of limits, Added invisibility to Peter and helped Peter Learn, show us how deep and aggressive The Company was and showed us their was indeed a Conspiracy amongst the older heroes) and left show fans wanting him to return and advance things further or answer more "history questions" with his flashbacks

Hell, his Heroes role may have been a metaphor his Doctor Who role ;)

14. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Yeah I was good with Heroes I was lumping it in there because it was mainstream network television ;)

15. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

This. The budget for Thor 2, for example, looks to be about $200,000,000, about 100 times that of "The Day of the Doctor," and while only a small part of that difference is going to be in salaries, it's still a much heftier payday.

16. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You ignored all the other non-commercial / theater work he's done in the past eight years. Any reason for that?

17. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Also I never quite understood what happened with Heroes, because he wasn't around for long, and did we ever find out what happened to Claude? I could never figure out if CE was only contracted to do a handful of episodes and then wouldn't sign up for more, or if the producers/writers decided they didn't want him anymore?

18. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I think a lot of the guest performers on that show were only signed up for a run of a few episodes. Eccleston had a 5-episode run ending in episode 17 of a 23-episode season, and the story was intended to definitively conclude in the finale. (The original plan was to start over with a new cast and story in season 2, but the popularity of the first-season actors led to the disastrous decision to bring back the same characters after their stories had already ended.) So I suppose the character had served his purpose.

19. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Yeah. It's just the way he vanished. Given what we knew of the character I guess that made some sense.

20. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Based on what I've heard, Eccleston needed a short-term gig.