What episodes of TNG should I watch before First Contact?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Nibbz, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

I've neve rbought the whole "BUT TV PICARD" argument when it comes to FC Picard. I think Picard lost his shit when the Borg looked like they were about to destory the Federation and his ship once again.

Though I probably rate FC above TWOK on a personal rating :( purely cause of the end scene.

2. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Haha, touche. Oddly enough that would make the movie more interesting though.

Thinking on it the only other scene I can think of that their lines would indicate they are Klingon females is their complaining about how ugly Crusher is. :p

3. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

If you watch the Descent 2-parter for Data backstory you should also watch I, Borg, so you know what lead up to that story and than you have actually completed all Borg episodes together with Q, Who? BoBW (and Family).

4. MikeS

MikeS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Y'all forgot Thine Own Self - to explain why Troi was driving, you should probably watch Disaster as a backstory to Thine Own Self.

There's a scene in Encounter at Farpoint that will fill in why Data wants to do what he does with the thing that he has.

And if you're having to watch Redemption then don't forget to precede it with Sins of the Father and Reunion. Damn - then you'll also have to watch The Emissary (TNG not DS9 - but watch that too for an interesting other point of view about BOBW and the Borg)

Did I forget anything?

5. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

The way this thread is going, pretty soon every TNG episode will be on the list, well except for "Code of Honor." :lol:

6. Seven of Five

Seven of Five Stupid Sexy Flanders! Premium Member

Perhaps Nibbz should just watch Code of Honor, and then anything else that follows will be simply amazing.

7. Anji

Anji Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Assisting in the birth of baby Horta on Janus VI
    It doesn't matter what you watch, FS will disappoint you.

8. DostoyevskyClone

DostoyevskyClone Captain Captain

Absolutely, 100% agree with this recommendation. I'm surprised more people haven't mentioned 'Family.' And I can't praise 'The Drumhead' enough for eluding to Picard's trauma - really, really well done.

9. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'd recommend Family even if it had nothing to do with FC, great episode.

Watched First Contact this morning for the first time in a while. Really enjoyed it. Probably my fourth favourite Star Trek film behind 1, 2 and 6.

10. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

I also am a huge fan of FC, and put it up there with TWOK.

I'm assuming he already watched all these at this point, but I don't think that anybody recommended that he read Moby Dick by Herman Melville. Highly important for understanding why Picard does what he does. ;)

Yesterday's Enterprise and ST: GEN are important for knowing what the little ships in Picard's ready room are.

He should probably listen to some Steppenwolf to get into the mindset of Cochrane.

And watching Voyager's Caretaker pilot will help him understand what's going on in sickbay.

He also needs to see The Big Goodbye to understand Dixon Hill.

11. The Janitor

The Janitor Ensign Red Shirt

..and you should watch the TOS episode 'Metamorphosis' too, for some background on Cochrane.

12. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

You only have to watch, Q Who? an Best of both worlds 1&2, and family.

13. MikeS

MikeS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You actually don't even 'have to watch' those. We were all (I hope) having a bit of fun. :bolian:

14. heavy lids

heavy lids Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I think I'm going to watch Q Who, Best of Both Worlds pts. I and II, and First Contact this weekend.

15. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

Good choice!

And then you are going to watch all of DS9 :)

:techman:

16. Mirror Sulu

Mirror Sulu Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I too enjoyed Generations, it was fun and infinitely better than Star Trek V, which was woeful.

Also, I don't think you'd necessarily have to watch any specific TNG episodes before watching First Contact. First Contact was my first real exposure to TNG and got me interested in the series. Its also a good place to start for new fans of the franchise - its a great movie and it depicts First Contact between Human and Vulcan, setting the stage for everything else.

17. DalekJim

Yeah. While I always recommend people have to watch Space Seed before Wrath of Khan, people could watch First Contact without seeing any TNG eps. If anything it would make the film more enjoyable as they wouldn't notice a few of the bigger plotholes in regards to continuity.

Watched First Contact again a few weeks ago. Hugely flawed but also highly enjoyable :).

18. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Yet you wonder how people can enjoy Star Trek 2009. Your statement above is exactly how I feel about that movie.

19. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

I don't feel like Space Seed is required viewing before seeing TWOK. All you need to know about Khan and his followers is spelled out for you when you meet them, and that he hates Kirk (intensely obvious). In fact, the reveal that Khan is even on the planet in the first place is intensified because you don't know the significance of Seti Alpha V.

A good script, especially film script, assumes nothing about the viewer and is able to engage both those familiar with the work as well as those unfamiliar. TWOK (and Star Trek '09) are examples of genre films that can be enjoyed by someone who had never seen an episode of Star Trek in their life.

20. DalekJim

Audiences can understand TWoK perfectly without having seen Space Seed (I saw the movie before I'd seen a single episode of TOS!), but it really does enhance the experience having seen Kirk and Khan interact face to face.

Both are probably solid dumb popcorn movies that appeal to a wider audience much more than they do fans, who get bothered by the huge holes.