The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by backstept, Oct 27, 2011.

1. backstept

backstept Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

why is there no thread yet!? :ouch:

I am waiting feverishly for this game. I used to get up an hour early just to play morrowind, and I lost my job just before Oblivion came out, so you know I played that game almost 24/7 for several weeks :p
    not to mention all the time I've wasted with mods on the elder scrolls nexus

I'm preordered on Steam, can't freakin' wait!

so to get the thread started here's a live action trailer

[yt]http://youtu.be/w1AenlOEXao[/yt]

and a collection of hands on previews

I usually play a Nord, but the Argonians are looking pretty sweet. What race are you guys gonna play?

2. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

You know, I could never really get into Oblivion. I loved the hell out of Morrowind but Oblivion came off as very bland and familiar by comparison. Which one will Skyrim more closely resemble? :p

3. Evil Twin

Evil Twin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not really in a hurry to play this, to be honest. Oblivion was rather blah compared to Morrowind, and I've come to like the Fallout games more than the Elder Scrolls series (whose lore I was never really able to get all that into.) With Assassin's Creed: Revelations and Arkham City (PC) also coming out at the same time, I'm planning on playing those two first before I pick up Skyrim.

4. Robert Maxwell

That's a good point. FO3 was done with the same engine as Oblivion, but I find it a much more compelling game.

5. backstept

backstept Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oblivion did seem a bit too standard-western-fantasty . . . I really like the wierd foreign feeling of Morrowind. Oblivion sort of came close with Shivering Isles, but not quite.
    Everything I've seen so far indicates that Skyrim will feel like a cross between morrowind and oblivion, but with quality and detail much greater than both. I think Bethesda has learned a great deal since Oblivion, and I think their time spent on Fallout 3 gave them a different perspective on the open world RPG genre that allowed them to take the best from Oblivion and morrowind and kick it up several notches

the trailers so far have given me the chills, and the Sons of Skyrim theme is simply epic

6. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Oddly enough, while I loved Morrowind and Oblivion, I'm not all that excited for Skyrim. Dunno why.

7. Hoser

Hoser Hoser Super Moderator

I'm excited, but I'll wait a bit. I'm probably one of the few that enjoyed Oblivion (though the ending was daft)

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  8. TrekNut87

TrekNut87 Captain Captain

I've pre-ordered this, and while I'm looking forward to it, I'm not DYING to play it. I'll pick it up when it comes in, but it may be a while before I play.

9. Sheep

Sheep Vice Admiral Admiral

The stupid oblivion gates killed that game for me. I hope they don't make a return in Skyrim.

10. Robert Maxwell

I'd assume that the Oblivion gates would only factor into Oblivion and not any other TES game. ;)

11. Sheep

Sheep Vice Admiral Admiral

I was hoping a similar play mechanic wouldn't show up here...Skyrim gates? :p

12. Robert Maxwell

Dragons seem to be Skyrim's equivalent of Oblivion gates: they appear randomly, but more often depending on how far you've gone into the main quest.

13. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Actually, I heard some comments that this is more or less a direct sequel to Oblivion, so it's possible there will be remnants of the aftermath around the land.

14. Hoser

Hoser Hoser Super Moderator

As long as the Power Rangers ending doesn't happen again, or at least I get to do something other than watch, I'm happy with that.

Also: dragons are so much cooler than evil stargates to the nether.

15. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I don't get all the fuss some people make over Oblivion. The environments were bland, the characters would have had more depth had they actually been cardboard cutouts and...well it may be because I've never played any of the other Elder Scrolls games but the lore just felt...wrong. Too many different races (cat people, lizard people AND vampires? really!?) all of which seem to act and talk exactly the same.

There just didn't seem to be any sense of coherence to the whole thing. So yeah, what little I've seen of this game hasn't really changed my opinion...but then all I've seen is some generic leather clad bloke with a horned metal bucket on his head.

16. Newton

Newton Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I am really keen to play this but I may wait a while. If previous Bethesda games are anything to go by they'll need to release a couple of patches to fix the bugs. Sorry if that's a bit pessimistic but I'm sick of being Bethesda's play tester. I might pick up AC: Revelations while they sort things out.

17. clint g

clint g Admiral Admiral

I'm on the fence with this one. While I love open world games as a concept, very rarely do I wind up getting hooked. I tend to get over whelmed with all their is to do. While I played a decent bit of Morrowind, I barely scratched the surface of Oblivion before I put it down. Same thing with Fallout 3, yet New Vegas hooked me (different developer, I know).

18. Newton

Newton Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The open-world sandbox type games are my favourite. I'm sick of games ending after ten hours of gameplay and how they tend to force me to take a particular course of action. I like the freedom and re-play value that sandbox games provide, and I'm sure I will be playing Skyrim for quite a while.

I played Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas for over 250 hours each and I'm sure they will both get re-played in the future. I didn't play Oblivion for that long but I still got a good 70 hours out of it. I'm sorry to say I haven't played Morrowind.

I think I heard somewhere that when Skyrim comes out the bulk of the Bethesda team will start working on Fallout 4, which is pretty exciting. But knowing how long these things take to develop, I'm not holding my breath for a release date before 2013.

19. 6079SmithW

6079SmithW Vice Admiral Admiral

I've never played any of the Elder Scrolls games but I like fantasy, open worlds and rpgs so I might get this. Maybe I'll even get Oblivion too. The only thing I find off putting about these games is the amount of time to complete. I hear it takes several hundred hours to do everything in these games and I just don't have that kind of time. I'm a completionist who likes to complete every single quest. I consider 50+ hours to be ideal for an rpg (ME2, DA2) and am happy with 20+ (FC2, KOTOR 1 & 2).

Then again, I did spend 100 hours on AC:B doing mostly nothing so maybe I do have that kind of time to waste. :p

20. Niorah

Niorah Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't mind about the time it takes to finish a game, as long as it is enjoyable. Good story, good graphics, simple fighting controls.

I hated the gates in Oblivion and hope to never have to go through one again. Dragons I can handle. :devil:

I have pre-ordered Skyrim on the strength of all the happy hours I have spent playing Oblivion, Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas. I hope they won't let me down.